MD's and White DJ's

IYOUNG

Does your MD wear a white DJ at concerts?

If so what do you think?
Is it the most appropriate thing for them to wear?

My own personal preference is more often or not a lounge suit or Black DJ if its a more formal engagement.

Am I alone in thinking that white DJ's look naff?

Some views please

Ian

Accidental

Supporting Member
Well, I'd have to say I think white DJs look ok, because the whole band wears them.... except the MD (because it really would look naff if he matched! :lol:)

I guess it comes down to personal choice, and what sort gig/programme you're doing. Generally I think MDs look fine in normal suits. Imho DJs (in black or white) tend to look OTT, but I'd far rather see someone looking smart (if overdressed!) in a DJ than schlepping onto stage in a sweatshirt.

Naomi McFadyen

Part of our uniform at Leyland is White DJs!... and they certainly don't look 'naff'... ours look great on the contest stage... close up they need cleaning though! :lol:
So, of course Garry doesn't wear white djs

;-)

I have, however, seen MDs wearing white DJs at concerts though, and I thought it looked smart :)

;-)

i've played under a leading figure in conducting (wont name names) but when i saw him in a white DJ it just looked really naff, think the standard black is a lot more profesional looking, plus the if the man in the middle is wearing white the audience is going to notice him more than the band arnt they?????????????

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
IYOUNG said:
Am I alone in thinking that white DJ's look naff?

Don't <insert embarrasing uniform colour here> jackets with gold braiding all over the shoulders, cuffs and backs look a bit naff also? :D

Seriously though I think if it's a formal concert a Black or a White DJ is correct dress for the conductor. Colour depends on their preference I suppose but a White DJ doesn't look quite as effective on a short, fat sweaty conductor as on a tall slim one! :wink:

......not that I make a habit of noticing these things.......

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
For a formal concert I always wear a DJ (either white or black - which ever comes out of the wardrobe first!!) and a suit for other jobs, but I hate to see conductors wear DJs at contests especially when it is closed adjudication - who are they trying to impress??

TIMBONE

tuxedo

I have a beautiful white tuxedo which is dashing and makes everyone look and say "that man is famous", unfortunately, I bought it 10 years ago, (I am still paying for it), and it doesn't fit anymore!

Dave Payn

I tried wearing a white DJ once, but Fatboy Slim proved too heavy for me to carry around for too long. :lol: :lol:

Owen

I think a white DJ is fine, if it is worn at an appropriately formal concert (definately not to a park job!). But, they have to be clean!

Will the Sec

No problem with white DJ, red cummerbund or even the red bow tie, but a certain successful high profile tMPer spoiled his look (at the areas) by completing his ensmble with a pair of brown loafers..... :eek:

The man's a musical genius, but heaven help him if Susannah and Trinni get hold of him :!:

Our MD sometimes wears a white DJ (when he remembers to pick up his suit carrier before leaving the house :roll: ), but not sure about the red bow-tie that goes with it!! :? :lol:

HBB

LOL!!!! That's probably our conductor!! He said that his black shoes were too heavy! :D