Maurice Andre is dead

Dave Payn

Not for nothing was Maurice Andre known as 'Le grand trompettiste de notre temps'. That phrase was coined some years ago, but still relevant today, in my view. There are a number of solo trumpeters who are his equal and perhaps more in technique but Andre's technique was phenomenal nonetheless, and his sheer musical panache that accompanied that technique puts him at the top of the tree, for me.

And realising this is largely a banding website, I'll also opine that should he have chosen the path, he would have been 'Le grand ''sop'' de notre temps' as well. (And absolutely no disrespect to those outstanding soprano players banding has already produced!)

GJG

... sheer musical panache that accompanied that technique puts him at the top of the tree, for me.
Indeed. Summed up for me by this quotation from an interview he gave to the New York Times in 1983:

“You’re like a matador ... in a bull ring; I see flautists and oboists go on the stage gingerly. If you do that with the trumpet you’re finished. You have to go on as a winner.”

... Could almost have been talking about contesting, in fact ...

subtlevib

Indeed. Summed up for me by this quotation from an interview he gave to the New York Times in 1983:

“You’re like a matador ... in a bull ring; I see flautists and oboists go on the stage gingerly. If you do that with the trumpet you’re finished. You have to go on as a winner.”

... Could almost have been talking about contesting, in fact ...
Yup - taken that one on board!

Fendall

I think what distinguished Maurice Andre for me, and made him the only brass player I ever aspired to, was the full tone and sheer personality that came through his playing - it made everyone else sound like machines (usually with a sickly tone when playing high) in comparison. He was the reason I became a soprano cornetist. I am shocked there are not more serious comments on this thread.

Red Elvis

The Band of the 8th Communications Regiment (French Military) at Mont-Valérien - 1950-51

[Sorry, you did ask ... ]
Presumably trumpet / bugle players in the French army only have to learn the "retreat" call ??!! :)

(Sorry Mods , couldn't resist that one !)

Mello

Maurice Andre was indeed one of the all time greats. A rather unlikely looking super star - more like a farmer really, but what a player. I remember when on tour in Switzerland with James Shepherd Versatile Brass, we were playing at a music festival in a huge marquee....it was packed. Jim Shepherd prepared to play his solo and noticed that on the front row was Maurice Andre. Jiim did a great job ( as usual ), and as soon as the concert ended, the first person to enter was Maurice Andre wanting to congatulate Jim and the rest of us. ( Most of the conversation had to be via an interpreter, but we were thrilled that not only had he come to the concert on one of his nights off, but he took the trouble to stay behind to chat to us. A great player and ambassador.

James Yelland

This is rather confusing - a poster called Gordon H who isn't Gordon Higginbottom follows a post from a poster called Mello who is (I think) Gordon Higginbottom!

Time for my afternoon nap....