Lydian Pictures

Soppy

We're playing it faster than the CD recording. Certainly the 3rd movement, that's flying along.

The dynamics aren't rubbish, they make perfect sense to us at least! We're playing them too.

I think what makes Lydian Pictures so hard is it is very exposed for quite a few instruments. Therefore, a lack of quality can really show (which is quite common in 4th section bands!).

If there is another Sop player here though, could they tell me how to get the triplets and top G's @ the very start of the piece in tune please? I just can't do it!!!

HBB

Soppy said:
We're playing it faster than the CD recording. Certainly the 3rd movement, that's flying along.

The dynamics aren't rubbish, they make perfect sense to us at least! We're playing them too.

I think what makes Lydian Pictures so hard is it is very exposed for quite a few instruments. Therefore, a lack of quality can really show (which is quite common in 4th section bands!).

If there is another Sop player here though, could they tell me how to get the triplets and top G's @ the very start of the piece in tune please? I just can't do it!!!

Ok ..... 4 suggestions

1] Clench
2] Pray
3] Get someone else to play it
and
4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb!

Soppy

I do 1 and 2.

It wouldn't be my problem if I did 3 :D , and I'll practise 4. My G though is 'your' (I play Bb too) C. I do have a run up, but like I said I'm out of tune. Well, I think I'm out of tune, but as the 4 front row cornets aren't in tune with each other, it's hard to tell if it's me or them!!

Keep it up homocidalbennyboy, you've answered all of my posts so far!!! :shock: :D

Thanks

HBB

Well I like to conform to standards :p:p:p:p:p

Well don't you like the service :? <blows a rasberry!!> and its Ben, nice to meet ya :)

HBB

Its amazing the resemblence between :shock: and our solo horn player!!! :):):):D:D:D:D:D :shock:

Soppy

No, I do like the service, it's just 'unusual' to have someone reply to everything I say. Are you on here all of the time?

Thanks

:shock: is very much like our MD if we play well......!

HBB

Nah, i'm just the tMP stalker :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its a Saturday - and I have no where to go - I live about an hour from any of my friends - and i couldn't be ***** to do my homework - so I thought I'd post a lot on here - and I see you've bumped up ur message count from this morning! :p:p:p:p

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Back on-topic please... :) it's not fair to the originator of the thread to take a subject so far away from the original intent...

Wonky_Baton

Thanks John, although Idont mind the banter heading away from the topic. I went down to the Midlands contest armed with score and metronome as promised. There were some excellent performances and I was especially impressed with Long Eatons euphonium - pure class. However there was only one band that I heard played all the tempos as the score was marked and that was Kirby someone. Most played the beginning a la CD at between 60 and 100 instead of 108-112. The only thing I can think of that spoiled the Kirby performence was a baritone player on second trombone and sitting between two trombones on a baritone. Blatent cheating in my book. Were they marked down because if this or because they played the correct temp and were penalised for it. Congratulainns to the winners and third placed band who I heard and put in good perfomences. The beer called and I missed the band placed second - Sorry!! :oops:

cornetgirl

Well, Wonky, I don't know....going to the bar when you should be listening to all those lovely bands!!!!

(I'd have done the same....I could never be an adjudicator, I'd get bored of the same piece over and over and over again!!!)

Sounds like a dodgy move putting a bari between two troms - did the bari emerge unscathed at the end of it all?? :wink:

Rach x

satchmo shaz

hello wonky baton! that euph player was my brother carl! thanks for that, we are sooo happy to qualify again, I heard that kirkby came 5th (not sure though!)

euphemism

Thanks for the comment .... always nice when someone appreciates your playing....Long Eaton were second - so you must have heard us...Phoenix are a class outfit tho and thoroughy deserved to win...
I nearly had a nightmare...accidentally got hit in the mouth 10 mins before we were due on stage - and at firsst couldn't play a note - but managed to get there - just about although I felt I made a few slips.... Dundee here we come
Wonky_Baton said:
Thanks John, although Idont mind the banter heading away from the topic. I went down to the Midlands contest armed with score and metronome as promised. There were some excellent performances and I was especially impressed with Long Eatons euphonium - pure class. However there was only one band that I heard played all the tempos as the score was marked and that was Kirby someone. Most played the beginning a la CD at between 60 and 100 instead of 108-112. The only thing I can think of that spoiled the Kirby performence was a baritone player on second trombone and sitting between two trombones on a baritone. Blatent cheating in my book. Were they marked down because if this or because they played the correct temp and were penalised for it. Congratulainns to the winners and third placed band who I heard and put in good perfomences. The beer called and I missed the band placed second - Sorry!! :oops:

Heather

I heard Lydian Pictures yesterday at Blackpool for the first time. What a lovely piece of music!!!!
Luckily it was the winning bands performance. The middle movement is really beautiful.
Well done to Trinity Girls for their performance. It was a performance worthy of a much higher section.

Aidan

homocidalbennyboy said:
4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb!

is that such a good idea without a warmup!?!

Keppler

Staff member
I wouldn't have thought so..

Brings to mind the story of Clifford Brown and his students...

Just before a gig, Clifford had finished a session with his students on the importance of warming up, and not damaging the chops.. So he goes off to his dressing room, after inviting the students in for the show. As they're passing his dressing room door, they hear Clifford's first notes - starts on top C and goes up....
So they burst in his door, and say "Mr. Brown, Mr. Brown, have you been talking rubbish at us? How can we believe anything you say now? You told us to always warm up slowly, and start with the low notes... "

To which Clifford replies: "Those ARE my low notes.."

HBB

Nadia said:
homocidalbennyboy said:

is that such a good idea without a warmup!?!

Ermm................ yea???:?:

Well, no, but you'll get a warmup on the day :p, and I should have said

4] Practise hitting a G as soon as you get your instrument out of the case AND THEN WARMED UP!! - thats what we are doing when we have to start on a top Bb

Pythagoras

Counts as a good test piece in my book. I was only completely sick of it for a couple of weeks before the Area, rather than the 2 months for St Austell, and don't even mention Land of the Mountain and the Flood...

Wonky_Baton

Well, Wonky, I don't know....going to the bar when you should be listening to all those lovely bands!!!!

(I'd have done the same....I could never be an adjudicator, I'd get bored of the same piece over and over and over again!!!)

Listening to bands is not a habit I am going to get into and I am not wearing an anorak just yet. Listened to more on Sunday than the last 5 years put together. Did learn a lot ready for our contest on Sunday though but. :)

Whatever pub I was in the Marstons Pedigree was the best pint I'd tasted for yonks and the locals were friendly. They even charged my phone behind the bar. The Midlands Hall having no bar was a bit of a shock meaning that all the bands players spread out all ove the place but I suppose tha audience was a little bigger for it. It reminded me of the old Bowburn contest 20 odd years ago. I must have travelled in Doctor Who's tardis!!:p