LSO v RPO

James McFadyen

New Member
After listening to many many Orchestral arrangments of pop tunes by the London Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, I have came to the conclusion that the LSO stuff is far superior, in my opinion. Much classier and intellegent arrangments!

Just wondered if anyone else has heard these two famous orchestra's attempts at 'Orchestral Rock' - which ones did you like and which ones would you recommend.
 

James McFadyen

New Member
Sorry I forgot Orchestra's have French Horns! I forgot how horrible they are and how much they damage the colour of a piece of music ;)

Silly me!

:wink: :wink:
 

MRSH

Supporting Member
supersplit said:
Oh come on! LSO every time.

I agree. LSO without a shadow of a doubt.

Their Classic Rock series was absolute quality.

What made them so good were the stunning arrangements. One name that sticks in my mind that did a lot of the arrangements was Andrew Pryce Jackman. Anybody know what else he's done - if anything??!?

I saw every concert of the Classic Rock series and have every 'album'. Never tire of listening to them. Would highly recommend these - although I'm not sure you can still get them.

Matt
 

James Yelland

Active Member
I don't know the answer to your question, but you might find some insight into the subject in the new book by Richard Morrison about the LSO. It might even shed some light into Howard Snell's chairmanship too.
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
dyl said:
I think his brother, Maurice, is much better! ;)
Didn't he have his own band once - Maurice Motors :?: :wink: :lol:

MRSH said:
One name that sticks in my mind that did a lot of the arrangements was Andrew Pryce Jackman. Anybody know what else he's done - if anything??!?
His name recently cropped up as having arranged the music for the recordings Peter Skellern made with Grimethorpe.

I too prefer the LSO recordings - they seem to have more strength in depth, and certainly a fuller brass sound throughout.
 

Aidan

Active Member
are we talking about who's arrangements are better or which orchestra is better? cos rpo arn't in the same league as lso... maybe better debating two orchestras of a more similar standing ie. bbc phil and halle...
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Wasn't it the RPO who teamed up with Louis Clark for that lamentable (sorry, just a personal opinion) Hooked on Classics?
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Dave Payn said:
Wasn't it the RPO who teamed up with Louis Clark for that lamentable (sorry, just a personal opinion) Hooked on Classics?
Think you're right. It seems that for some time, in the absence of a proper base or development policy, they have had to take on anything that will generate income without much thought to quality control or artistic merit.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
PeterBale said:
Dave Payn said:
Wasn't it the RPO who teamed up with Louis Clark for that lamentable (sorry, just a personal opinion) Hooked on Classics?
Think you're right. It seems that for some time, in the absence of a proper base or development policy, they have had to take on anything that will generate income without much thought to quality control or artistic merit.

God, that sounds like a critique for Victoria Beckham! ;-)
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top