Lower Section Finals - New Venue

iancwilx

I'm a loser, I've never won anything in my life. Never won a contest and have never qualified. Why change a habit of a lifetime!

Awe - this won't do Stell - Cheer up, keep plugging away and it will happen one day soon I hope.
Chin up !
(Shall I get Mr Butler to pop around and give you a pep talk ?)

- Mr Wilx

iancwilx

Well Linthwaite are currently 4th in the tmp Yorkshire Area predictions page.
That must be a confidence booster.

- Mr Wilx

ploughboy

I fancy a change quite happy with the move.

Feel a bit bad for the Bolsover organisers, they moved their contest because of the announced dates of the nationals. . . then they've moved them back to the 24th/25th.

BassBlaster

For the first time I will be able to spend all weekend listening to a really top contest and go sleep at home.
I hope we qualify and look foward to playing at Cheltenham.
just so you know, FREE parking, 12 bars I think, loads of cheap accomodation, brilliant transport access, great nightlife in Cheltenham, great eating out. All our local bands will make you welcome and help you with rehearsal facilities at their bandrooms i`m sure.
I have spent all my playing life travelling hundreds of miles to listen to top contests, at last I get to listen to all sections not worrying how far home is away. Sorry it`s your turn this year, I will buy you all a pint....
And a funfair to keep the kids happy, car boot sale on sundays !.

Reminds me of Bel Vue in the 70`s.....

Last edited:

bbg

In practical terms the most northerly contesting bands in my fair country are those around Aberdeen (Bon Accord, Granite City and Turrif). Those farther north (and there are a few) have not been represented at a Scottish Championships for years.

The more I read and see about the new venue the more I like it. Its a little farther to travel but at least its motorway all the way. So and extra hour on the travelling - so what.

What coach company would Lochgelly use if faced with a trip to Cheltenham, John? 187 miles further on from Harrogate - in an hour?? If the Stig was a band coach driver...............:)

Otherwise, looks a decent venue but the announcement tarnished by the ill-advised "centre of Britain" comment. As has been noted earlier, that is just east of the M6 near Clitheroe in Lancashire, and that's a long way north of Cheltenham, whichever map I look at. Sadly typical of the South of England attitude to anywhere north of the M25, ie any place is thereafter in the North / Midlands / Wales or even (shudder) Scotland.
Centre of Britain venue for the Finals? Lancaster University about 20 miles away...

Anno Draconis

It did go around the country a bit first.

2004-2010 Harrogate
2003 Dundee
2002 Torquay
2001 Preston
2000 Royal Albert Hall, London
1999 Nottingham
1998 Harrogate
1997 Birmingham
1996 Cardiff
1995 Harrogate
1991-1994 Wembley

Can anyone help with older results or locations?

http://brassbandresults.co.uk/contests/GREAT-BRITAIN-NATIONAL-FINALS/

Tim.

Before that the lower sections were spread randomly around London for a while. I played in the 2nd section at Imperial College (I think), and the 1st section at Wembley (again, I think). I'm sure the 4th section was in Watford Town Hall for a number of years?

What coach company would Lochgelly use if faced with a trip to Cheltenham, John? 187 miles further on from Harrogate - in an hour?? If the Stig was a band coach driver...............:)

Well, let's face it, the roads from anywhere to Harrogate are ****, but Lochgelly to Harrogate are particularly ****, including single carriageway for a fair stretch no matter which way you go. Lochgelly to Cheltenham is at least almost all motorway.

I used to work as a roady in Edinburgh. We never, ever drove down the Eastern side of the country if it could conceivably be avoided!

iancwilx

2004-2010 Harrogate
2003 Dundee
2002 Torquay
2001 Preston
1999 Nottingham
1998 Harrogate
1997 Birmingham
1996 Cardiff
1995 Harrogate
1991-1994 Wembley

Tim.

I played at Fulham Town Hall for the 3rd Section Finals in 1962 with Leeds Model Band, (Peter Kitson - 3rd Prize)
The other lower Sections were at Hammersmith Town Hall and Kensington Town Hall.
That took care of the three (at that time) lower Sections, and we could still go across town to the RAH to hear the Championship Section if the time of our our "Draw" allowed.
There were only four sections in those days and all four finals were held in London on the same day.
It was a great annual banding occasion.

- Mr Wilx

Laserbeam bass

2004-2010 Harrogate
2003 Dundee
2002 Torquay
2001 Preston
1999 Nottingham
1998 Harrogate
1997 Birmingham
1996 Cardiff
1995 Harrogate
1991-1994 Wembley

Tim.

Can't remember the exact name of the hall, but it was in Westminster and that housed the 3rd section at least once. I will check with one of my fellow bandsman who I am sure played there.

tubbytuba

Having twice travelled to Harrogate and once to Dundee (what a journey from Camborne Cornwall!!) ive got to say if we get there im so damn pleased its a bit closer

does anyone know the running order of the sectilns over the days.?
What sections are playing on each day.?
If not yet known, when will it be known?

Accidental

Supporting Member
Just remembered Westminster Central Hall
I remember doing the 4th section finals there in the 80s, back in the days when all the finals were in London on the same day and you could hop on a shuttle bus to visit the different halls (Westminster Central Hall, Hammersmith Town Hall, RAH and one I can't remember) and the trade stands.

I've also done finals at Wembley, Torquay, Dundee and Harrogate, and would quite cheerfully never go back to any of them.!

feel like an old git now.....!