London Marathon

Bariman

Any TMPers or other bandsmen taking part in this Sunday's London Marathon?

Garry Smith, (EEb bass Chelmsford SA Band and the SA's Household Troops) is running (well he'll start off running) on behalf of the SA's Hadleigh Farm Colony project.

His number is 44065.

He's not taking his bass with him! :(

Give him a shout if you see him, even if it's only on TV.

He reckons he'll complete the course in about 4:45 to 5:00, that's hours not finishing time :) , so he should complete the course by about 2:45pm.

If you feel moved to give a donantion to honour his endeavour then PM me.

Aidan

One of our Uni Percussionists Tom, who also plays for Besses, is running it.. can't remember who he's doing it for, but he's raised a load of money for them whoever it is.

WorldofBrass.com

Captain Jonny Smith (Corps Officer at Southwark) is also running on Sunday.
He is being sponsored by World of Brass and The International Staff Band and their logos feature prominently on his running vest! A sponsor form was passed around the 747 that the ISB flew to Canada on.
He is raising money for much needed improvements to the corps building at Southwark which is just round the corner from us.
I spoke to Jonny yesterday and it sounds like his training has been going well.

Jonny is featured on the front page of The War Cry this week;
http://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/en/Publications/warCry/WC040417p01.htm
Send me a PM if you would like a free copy!

I was able to join Jonny and Garry Smith at their pre-race Pasta Party yesterday lunchtime.
We wish them both well.

Digger

Eddie Wynn (Bb Bass Emley Band) is running for Cancer Research.
Then next weekend (24th) Emley are joining in the fundraising with a concert at Flockton Church.

Lauradoll

I did it for ChildLine last year, took 4 hrs 53 mins but I ran all the way (except when I stopped for the loo) then went straight to the pub afterwards. Definately would do it again, one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I couldn't stop crying when I got over the finish line though! :D

2nd man down

Staff member
Digger said:
Eddie Wynn (Bb Bass Emley Band) is running for Cancer Research.
Then next weekend (24th) Emley are joining in the fundraising with a concert at Flockton Church.

He's actually the vicar in both Emley and Flockton villages and a lovely bloke and deserves as much support as we can give...cos he's the best beer swigging vicar we know!!! :roll: :guiness :guiness

Cornishwomble

2nd man down said:
He's actually the vicar in both Emley and Flockton villages and a lovely bloke and deserves as much support as we can give...cos he's the best beer swigging vicar we know!!! :roll: :guiness :guiness

That's my favourite kind of vicar!! :D

asteria

Lauradoll said:
I did it for ChildLine last year, took 4 hrs 53 mins but I ran all the way (except when I stopped for the loo) then went straight to the pub afterwards. Definately would do it again, one of the most amazing things I've ever done. I couldn't stop crying when I got over the finish line though! :D

And the most amazing thing was that Robbie (Cargill) of wingates was in the background of your photo when you crossed the finishing line even tho you never saw each other - i can't believe how wierd that is!!

One of our Uni Percussionists Tom, who also plays for Besses, is running it.. can't remember who he's doing it for, but he's raised a load of money for them whoever it is
I think he said he was running for a charity for respite care for adults and kids but i can't remember the name, well done tho tom and to anyone who competed! :D

Congratulations to Graham Lawrence (Principal Euphonium, SWT Woodfalls and formerly ISB and Boscombe Citadel) and his wife Joy who completed the marathon yesterday.
Times were 5hr 50 and 6hr 23 with £2000 raised.

2nd man down

Staff member
Well Done to Eddie Wynn, Emley Bands surprisingly fit BbBass playing, beer swilling Vicar who completed the course in 3hrs, (er, not exactly sure how many minutes...53ish i think)!!!
He was running for Cancer Reasearch UK but his amount raised is not known yet as we're holding a fund raising concert for him and his cause this Saturday (See The Auditorium for details!!)

A Big big thanks must also go to "Naruco" and "Well worth it" for providing our percussion!!

Bariman

Also well done to Garry Smith, his time was 5:05:31 - not fast but at least he beat Lorraine Kelly and Charlie Brooks (Janine from EastEnders)! :D

He hopes to raise about £1500.

stephen2001

I like the fact that the oldest guy doing the Marathon (92 years old I think) beat Charles Ingram's time of just over 6 hours!!

Congrats to all those that finished tho :D

Bariman

WorldofBrass.com said:
Graham Gooch finished in 4 hours 23 mins.

He would have finished sooner but he kept turning around and running in the opposite direction every 22 yards :D