Locking topics

If the mods are going to lock every topic that has been discussed before, how long will it be until there are no new topics :?: :lol:

dyl

Point taken. However, I see no point in opening another thread to discuss something which was discussed only a couple of months ago.

Difficult balance I appreciate but with the current increase in popularity of the site it could end up with every new topic being locked. New members might not necessarily look back that far.

I'll leave you to your job :!:

dyl

Kernewek Den said:
Difficult balance I appreciate but with the current increase in popularity of the site it could end up with every new topic being locked. New members might not necessarily look back that far.

I'll leave you to your job :!:
On the contrary mate - comments are always appreciated!

You're right, it is a difficult balance - and with the current increase increase in poularity you mention there are bound to be topics which are raised more than once, so personally, if I can remember a topic already exists and is still fairly fresh, say no more than a couple of months old, then I'll redirect to it.

I believe it helps keep a little order to the threads that already exist - and means less dosh for our esteemed leader having to cough up, because of duplication! ;)

Thanks for your comments.

JessopSmythe

I'm with Dyl on this one. I run a (much) smaller forum than this one using the same software. It's amazing how large the database file can get, and how quickly. Unless you've got some ideas for fundraising that will enable John to purchase unlimited hosting space and bandwidth, then locking duplicate topics seems like the best solution to me.

Fishsta

There is one other point to consider, besides the cost of bandwidth...

Keeping subjects in as few threads as possible makes the "search" button at the top much more effective and useful.

Instead of having numerous topics to read once you've got your results, you should have only a few, or just the one, with everything you're looking for contained within.

bruceg

Kernewek Den said:
Didn't realise the implications :oops:

Lock away :lol:

If you like the site and find that you're using it a lot then consider clicking on the donation link at the top of the page to help John out ;) You'll get a very nice message from tMM thanking you for being such a kind tMPer :)

PeterBale

Staff member
Dave Payn said:
dyl said:
I was wondering how long it'd before you or Peter posted something along those lines! ;)

You can always rely on me to be predictable! ;-)
There wouldn't be much point in me locking it, as dyl would only unlock it anyway :!: :wink: :lol:

bigmamabadger

Can you archive really old stuff. I mean, no-one really looks back at stuff that happened 8 months ago, esp. not on this section. Do they?
BMB
xx

PeterBale

Staff member
bigmamabadger said:
Can you archive really old stuff. I mean, no-one really looks back at stuff that happened 8 months ago, esp. not on this section. Do they?
BMB
xx
It's interesting how many old topics have been revived in the past few weeks as new members have explored the forum, including a few in Random - one or two have been more than a year old, causing a little confusion when looking at the dates :shock: :wink: :lol: