Lockdown practice

pbirch

Barry Green is a double bass player who has written a couple of good books on music performance- he was teasing the violinists saying that he could play the Mendelssohn concerto on his bass. It would take 3 days but he could do it.
for the tuba players have a look at Øystein Baadsvik’s tuba academy, it is good fun

PeterBale

Staff member
Awesome player. Sadly I only met him a couple of times...the first I was only about 6 when he premiered the Gregson concerto with Besses and again when he recorded it with them a few years later.

James Gourlay has been doing some fun things over the last few months as well.
When a friend of mine switched to tuba he studied with James Gourlay, who himself was still having the occasional session with John Fletcher.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
Sadly I didn't get too study with Fletch, at the time he died (1987 time flies) I was studying with Patrick Harrild if you haven't listened to Patrick's recording of the RVW's you really should

Jim Gourlay is also a monster player
The Chandos recording? It's excellent - thank's for the reminder :)

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
When a friend of mine switched to tuba he studied with James Gourlay, who himself was still having the occasional session with John Fletcher.
When my Dad commissioned the Horovitz concerto in the mid-ish 80s (having previously administrated the Gregson) the discussion about the premiere focussed around James...sadly Mr Horovitz was quite poorly around that time and the piece wasn't finished before my Dad died...but the premiere was indeed eventually given by Besses with James playing under the direction of Peter Bassano...strange how circles complete.

Vegasbound

Having a hard time sticking to it. Spending more time in a kayak and more time fishing
Denis, you will not be the only one feeling this........ As I said in my first post is people do not already have a solid practice regime and have relied on the twice weekly band practice and contest/concerts hen they will come unstuck

The biggest issue, is that even with a practice schedule in place it is not the same as actually performing under fire so to speak, especially at loud dynamics so players will not be match fit for quite a while even when rehearsals start again

But if your lively hood doesn't depend on it, enjoy the kayaking and fishing, and I wonder how many will realise that their former banding life isn't as enjoyable as the one they have now, and not return