Lockdown and dentist

Douglas Sewell

New dog ate my top dentures after he grabbed it off bench when cleaning. Managed to get impressions and new top set made but my new teeth are now sitting in my dentists cupboard waiting for a fitting. Unfortunately no appointment can be made for fitting as lockdown has closed the surgery until further notice. This will last for months to come resulting in inability to get a "toot" out of my cornet as embouchure is almost impossible to form or hold. Devastated as cannot play. Are there any mouthpieces that will let me play with missing front top teeth (other than one peg tooth in centre) to get me out of this situation. As an alternative I could switch to playing a penny whistle or drume where no embouchure is required. All advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Marilyn

Leaving aside the cornet playing , this problem would be classed as an Emergency with regard to the inability to eat properly. If you Google the British Dental Association you will find all the information regarding Emergency Treatment during the current situation. All Dental Surgeons and Labs. are operating an Emergency Service during the present Coronavirus Lockdown. The first step is to ring you Dentist.

Douglas Sewell

Thanks for the advice. Rang dentist this morning.Told "not classed as an emergency as not in severe pain". NHS advice to dentist regarding dentures is not to make inpressions or have dentures manufactured or fit therefore stuck with this until advice changes. In the meantime I am living on soup, custards and other soft foods.Lost 14lbs in weight over last 4 weeks so not a bad thing but cannot keep losing weight at this rate for too long. All dentist could advise was to see a dietician to get advice on foods to reduce weight loss so hanging in there. Still missing my daily cornet practice. Take care.
Doug

Marilyn

Obviously we do not know what stage of manufacture this denture is at .It may not be anywhere near finished. You do not need to be in pain for it to be classed as an emergency. I would think starving would fit the bill, but alas not Cornet playing. The advice from other Surgeons is to ring the 111 NHS number and see what they say. The Dental profession are doing all sorts of things to help patients in this difficult time, such as posting direct to the patient if this is applicable when the article is finished. The advice that you quote is obviously for new work, where the patient still has their original denture. Marilyn.

There are mouthpieces which let you do this but they fit Euphoiums and Basses. Like you I lost front teeth and re learned to play cornet with a denture,
I can't play without the denture for more than a few seconds, and then not well, but I can get quite a reasonable noise out a Euphonium without it, simply because the Euph mouthpiece rests against the gum above the missing teeth whereas there is nothing to support the cornet mouthpiece. I suppose in today's standardised politically correct health regime losing weight is considered good practice. Do you still have the dog?

Douglas Sewell

There are mouthpieces which let you do this but they fit Euphoiums and Basses. Like you I lost front teeth and re learned to play cornet with a denture,
I can't play without the denture for more than a few seconds, and then not well, but I can get quite a reasonable noise out a Euphonium without it, simply because the Euph mouthpiece rests against the gum above the missing teeth whereas there is nothing to support the cornet mouthpiece. I suppose in today's standardised politically correct health regime losing weight is considered good practice. Do you still have the dog?
Thanks for that. I lost my dog last August due to age and illness.A bad time for us but despite saying no more as I am getting too old I ended up with a new Labrador pup who is now 8 months old. A cracker but daft as a brush. Will get better in time but never had one as wild as this. Perhaps I should save up and get a "euph".

2nd tenor

A dog is joy on four legs and when ours died (of old age, we believe) he left an enormous hole in our lives, maybe we will get another one day but to my mind it’s a big responsibility over a long time frame.

Euphoniums have been mentioned - lovely sound if you have the skill - but they can be a bit dear. Trombones can use a similar size mouthpiece to Euph’s - tricky to learn the slide positions but you’ll get there - and if you’re open to a slightly larger mouthpiece then an old Eb Bass with a small (for them) mouthpiece could be just the ticket. Sometimes an old three valve Eb Bass is available for very reasonable money - your Band might even have one in store - and Bands usually love to have an extra Bass player available.

The alternatives that you mention of a Drum and a Penny Whistle could get you playing something again. A Recorder isn’t expensive and was once regarded as a serious musical instrument, to my mind they’re worth a bit of research and playing one might keep your lungs exercised.

I hope that something can be done about your teeth but (with a phased return to normality) I don’t expect any rehearsals before August.

Last edited:

2nd tenor

We go a bit off topic but Bach (who knew a thing or two about music) took them seriously:

Or if you fancy something a bit more of our time:

I don’t play one myself - might try one day but currently have too many tasks to get one with - however I do know some able brass players who do.

Anyway just in case I’ve misled anyone here’s a useful article by Classic FM: ‘Many people don’t believe playing the recorder is something you can do seriously’

Last edited: