Loads o' lolly.

Do Lollies have to have a stick?

• Total voters

Well Worth It

In continuation of a previous pub discussion, does a lollipop intrinsically come on a stick?
What characteristics do all lollies share?
Please leave your thoughts.

2nd man down

Staff member
I KNEW there was another topic we said we were gonna put on here!!

Lollies definately have sticks, otherwise it's just a long sweet isn't it??

Big Twigge

If a lolly comes off the stick, you end up with a big ball of stickyness in your mouth.....which can get messy and has been known to cause problems in talking too :?
(always seems to happen with those cheap ones that they give you when waiting to get into clubs)

Lisa

Big Twigge said:
(always seems to happen with those cheap ones that they give you when waiting to get into clubs)

You get lollies when waiting to go into a club?? :eek: Where? I feel sooo deprived now. I want to go to a club where you get lollies! :(

Big Twigge

A few clubs/bars in Leeds.....some even give you marshmallows too :D (always take a big handbag....fill it up!!)

Well Worth It

They work too, 'cos you're always REALLY thirsty after those marshmellow things.
Thank you barman, I'll have a large one.....

Lisa

Big Twigge said:
A few clubs/bars in Leeds.....some even give you marshmallows too :D (always take a big handbag....fill it up!!)
And marshmallows?? :eek: :eek: Wow! Thats just too cool! I might have to move to Leeds i think..

Digger

Collins English Dictionary lollipop 'a boiled or toffee stuck on a small wooden stick (18th century Northern English dialect from lolly meaning the tongue + pop).

So technically a lollipop has to have a stick, but the abbreviation lolly doesn't!

lynchie

definitely has to have a stick... I'm not taking any of this northern dialect rubbish, lollies have sticks!!!

2nd man down

Staff member
Digger said:
and if its on a cardboard / paper stick is it still technically a lollipop?
My god...she doesn't post for weeks, but get her on the subject of lollipops and she's off!!!

akwarose

lollipops have to have sticks. its just not a lolly without one, jus a bit sticky mess, like one of those giant gobstoppers that u have to lick to eat coz u cant get em in ur mouth. now that hasnt got a stick and they r awful to eat.
lollies with sticks forever!

flugelgal

Lollipops have sticks. If they don't, they're sweeties. There's a difference between and Ice Lolly and an Icepop IMHO.