Living legends

Euph-Bari

cornetgirl said:
Jim Shepherd and Geoff Whitham for me - both lovely people and hopefully Geoff will be back playing very soon now!!! (and no Jez I ain't telling u what my fave perfume is!!!)

Rach x

he will be asking! :p

cornetgirl

Tough!!!! He's a legend, and legends deserve good teeth!

Back on topic, I think we also need to mention the likes of Roger Webster on this thread too - class player!

Rach x

leisa

cornetgirl said:
Tough!!!! He's a legend, and legends deserve good teeth!

Back on topic, I think we also need to mention the likes of Roger Webster on this thread too - class player!

Rach x

i was gonna say that!!! :)

beard_4b

Roland Cobb - principal cornet of the ISB for many years and father of Stephen Cobb

many of the cornet solos in the SA reportoire were written for and first performed by roland, to name but a few - wondrous day, tucker, clear skies (both original and the easier version)

Brian Bowen

beard_4b said:
Roland Cobb - ...many of the cornet solos in the SA reportoire were written for and first performed by roland, to name but a few - wondrous day, tucker, clear skies (both original and the easier version)

"Tucker" (by Erik Leidzen) was written in 1931 and first performed by William Parkins in the USA. The earliest recording I heard of it was by Tom Giles with the ISB. But Roland Cobb certainly made his mark as a very fine cornet soloist.

neiltwist

Dave Euph said:
Seedhouse said:
For Euphers, there are plenty out there still. Steven Mead, David Thornton, Derick Kane, Trevor Groom, David Moore, and all the Childs' spring to mind! :wink:

I wouldn't call Dave Tjornton a living legend just yet ... at just mid-20s it's a bit far fetched ... but I reckon in the next 10-15 years if he continues to make the progress he has already made in euphonium playing it wouldn't be unfair to award him that title.

As for Steven Mead ... well, he has plenty of miles in the tank yet, I prefer to see living legends as people who have reached their peak and are now, if anything, on a slight decline.

Of course, this may be the case with Steve, but we all know he'd not admit that!

I think I see what you mean, but Dave Thornton was the first Euph at Chets, which is no mean feat, and I think the fact he is still so young is just a testament to what he has achieved, whether this makes him a Legend or not is open to debate though.

Dave Euph

Very true ... he has achieved a remarkable amount already for such a young age. Knowing him in person has been a plus for me in determining if the man behind the front seat of Black Dyke can live up to 'legend' status.

Let's say it's likely.