Listening to Other Bands

Do you go listen to other bands?

• Total voters

brasscrest

Just got my tickets to go see the ISB in Lancaster, PA on April 5. We've actually cancelled a rehearsal so band members can go.

So - do you go to brass band concerts/contests/performances where you're not playing?

drummergurl

ill go to contests when im not playing, but ill only go if another member of my family is playing because then i know ill be able to get home

Vickitorious

If there's a band on at the Symphony Hall or at Demontfort Hall (sp) I will try and persuade my mum if I can. If I haven't got any other things to go to!

Naomi McFadyen

Yup. Love listening to a good band concert whenever I can...
Travelled down south today in time for the West of England Areas as well- which I'm looking forward to watching as many bands as possible over the 2 days... as well as a visit or 2 to the bar, of course ;-)

Okiedokie of Oz

Depends on a few things.

1) Location - How far will I have to drive to hear another band??
2) Accomodation - if it's out of town, there's a good chance I won't wanna drive home afterwards.
3) warning - I got an email Thrusday afternoon about a workshop with Brett Baker this weekend. I would have loved to go, but making the arrangements to drive 6 hours, attend the workshop and following concert, get some rest, and then drive home
4) who and what - I won't drive to Brisbane just to see them do a normal blow. But if Townsville advertised a massive combined concert with NYSB or something, I'd be there. If Rocky was doing christmas carols, I'd skip, but if Brisbane was doing musicals, then it would be unique and worth the drive.

I love to see bands play, but due to my own location I can't go to every little playout.

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Depends on a few things.

1) Location - How far will I have to drive to hear another band??
2) Accomodation - if it's out of town, there's a good chance I won't wanna drive home afterwards.
3) warning - I got an email Thrusday afternoon about a workshop with Brett Baker this weekend. I would have loved to go, but making the arrangements to drive 6 hours, attend the workshop and following concert, get some rest, and then drive home
4) who and what - I won't drive to Brisbane just to see them do a normal blow. But if Townsville advertised a massive combined concert with NYSB or something, I'd be there. If Rocky was doing christmas carols, I'd skip, but if Brisbane was doing musicals, then it would be unique and worth the drive.

I love to see bands play, but due to my own location I can't go to every little playout.

AYE, twas going to fly down for the Brett Baker gig but had comitments with my own band.

And yeah getting to see good bands is such a rarity in this huge lump of a country, purely because of the sheer distance between A and B, I've taken this year off studying just to save money to go overseas and hear/hopefully get involved in some of the good stuff!!

PeterBale

Staff member
I like to go to hear other bands when I can, although it's difficult at times with a full diary. I must admit that it does tend to be the "name" bands, rather than the local ones, although I would be more tempted if the programme was attractive. As we don't get that many top bands down south very often, much of the time their visits clash with something else, as with Brighouse's visit next month when I'm off to hear Hendon that evening!

brasscrest

Australian Euphonium said:
And yeah getting to see good bands is such a rarity in this huge lump of a country, purely because of the sheer distance between A and B

We have much the same problem here in the US, although it's not so much the actual distance as the massive amounts of traffic and the small number of bands. We get to very few concerts that we're not playing, simply because of the time involved.

Okiedokie of Oz

Just don't do what I did and get caught up in allt he fun that is not studying. I am now in year 6 of a 4 year education degree and parents are spewing.......

2nd man down

Staff member
I love going to watch other bands, whatever standard they are. There's something good about watching other people doing what you try so hard to do yourself isn't there?

brasscrest said:
We have much the same problem here in the US, although it's not so much the actual distance as the massive amounts of traffic and the small number of bands.

For the most part, that is true. However, there are a few geographic pockets in the US where there are multiple brass bands within close proximity, such as Columbus, Ohio and Chicago, Illinois. Although there are many banders who will enthusiastically attend concerts of their neighboring bands, there are others who, sadly, hold a grudge...

Raspberry

If there is a concert or contest within reasonable reach and if we have the time to go we will go. Its nice to see other bands perform and listen to their music. I don't often get to hear the bands in the local area but will try to at some point!

lynchie

Okiedokie of Oz said:

so that's where he's hiding is it??

anyway, personally I'll only go if it's a really good band, or I know people who are playing, I'm not really one for spending every sunday night at a band club. Although I might complain that my lot don't get much in the way of audiences,I have to admit I probably wouldn't go to a 2nd section band concert without a very good reason!

lynchie said:
I have to admit I probably wouldn't go to a 2nd section band concert without a very good reason!

Snob :wink: :wink: :wink: I'd go to just about any concert, but given the sheer number of bands I'm practicing with and helping out at the moment, any time I get to myself I tend to spend just zonking out. This weekend was a prime example - there was a music festival on quite locally, but Friday I was practicing at Oughtibridge, Saturday playing with a trombone choir near Brighouse, and last night playing for Oughtibridge at Stocksbridge band club. What little spare time I had I didn't really want to spend sat in a hall listening to brass!

Dave Euph

I have a few recordings (although I mostly raid the uni library) and I usually go to the big contests. If I could get off my arse every once a while I might go to a few more concerts as well. :p

Always prepared to travel to hear quality music, particularly of the quality of, say, the festival at the RNCM where you know every performance will be superb and won't usually include a new version of Carnival of Venice.

sunny_jimbob said:
last night playing for Oughtibridge at Stocksbridge band club.
Hi there sunny_jimbob
I was guesting for Oughtibridge last night as well. I wondered who the trombone player I didn't know was. If I had realised you were a fellow tmp'er I would have made myself known.
I go to Stocksbridge band club whenever I can, partly to listen to other bands and partly to talk to all the other banders I know that go there

Going to hear a band is the only thing that comes anywhere near playing in a band. I would go to largely anything and one of the problems I encounter is how little publicity there is for some concerts. You end up missing things cos you didn't know they were happening.

I also tend to feel that if you don't go to hear other bands then you can't moan when nobody comes to hear yours!

Paul Drury
Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

Hilary Mateer said:
I was guesting for Oughtibridge last night as well. I wondered who the trombone player I didn't know was. If I had realised you were a fellow tmp'er I would have made myself known.

Crikey, never crossed my mind that you could've been a tMPer! Maybe if your avatar was a little bigger I might've recognised you :wink: :lol: