Listen To The Band

Puritan

I know this is not the most popular Radio Show in the world and not even Brass Banders give it much credit, but It is the only National radio show that we've got. Well has anyone noticed that twice recently It has been replaced for other programmes. Is this the beginning of the end for this show ? I hope not, but unless we let the Beeb know that It's unaceptable to do this, then we are in danger of losing our National voice.Then Again I might be the only one who listens to It.:(

tubafran

announced last week that it wasnt on for next 3 weeks. That make two of us that listens to it then lol

I did notice that, I've been checking listings to see when Aveley & Newham are on, simply because I played on the recording session.....
I have to say I tend not to listen to it otherwise... shame on me ??

I was mortified the other week whenI jumped into my car after a rehearsal, expecting to hear the calming tones of Frank Renton or a sonorous band, and had to make do with Andy Williams warbling on. I went to the pub instead!

Euph1175

It wasnt so long ago that the programme was an hour in length too if i remember rightly. So as sad as it seems, it looks like the programme is in decline

Rebel Tuba

I think, personally, that it needs a massive overhaul. I listen to it as I work every Friday night and am able to have the radio on, but Frank doesn't half drone on..and on..and on..and on....

So its how to improve, well thats up now for discussion.......

Take it away........

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
I think, personally, that it needs a massive overhaul. I listen to it as I work every Friday night and am able to have the radio on, but Frank doesn't half drone on..and on..and on..and on....

Take it away........

Go on, then - what would _you_ do?

FATNBALD

I listen every other friday as i work nights, has anyone else noticed that as soon as it comes on the quality of broardcast sound seems to go badly down hill,:( its almost like listening to a old record sometimes (for you young uns that was like a large black CD);)

Jack

i record it on sky and watch it the next mornin whilst eating breakfast before band in the morning :)
i think its great, get to hear lots of pieces i wouldnt get to hear otherwise.

David Mann

Take it away........

OK. I think Frank is fine. I've noticed that, in general, more poor intonation slips through the net than used to be the case, which is a shame as most other music on R2 is immaculate in execution (if not to everyone's taste). I would like to see the programme move along a little faster, and perhaps have more news and interviews. Maybe more military bands. What about a best new arrangement competition?

PeterBale

Staff member
The number of sessions with bands certainly seems to have dropped in recent years, with more compilation programmes and cd-based broadcasts. I often still listen, although normally online rather than live, although you do tend to get the same old standards cropping up time and time again. It's quite refreshing when you actually do hear something new for a change!

Martin

I noticed that tonight was one of those occasions when it was dropped ....

...or was the time changed? :)

Steve

How is it a National voice if its only listened to by those already involved or those involved in the past. Surely a National voice would be to integrate what is going on with the other musical mediums that feature on more prominent slots to get recognition.

Without giving mainstream listeners something to make them want to listen, they wont. And Im sure a sample survey of banders would prove we don't support it en masse with iPlayer and Sky+ available.

Bayerd

The number of sessions with bands certainly seems to have dropped in recent years, with more compilation programmes and cd-based broadcasts. I often still listen, although normally online rather than live, although you do tend to get the same old standards cropping up time and time again. It's quite refreshing when you actually do hear something new for a change!

An interesting point, the last couple of times we've submitted programmes we've tried to include new music, especially music written for the band. The beeb knocked us back more than once and we had to go with 'old standards'...

Souter

You can always use the "listen again" function for up to a week afterwards ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ncddy

Or buy an Internet Radio - the best investment made in my household - 67000 channels to listen to (although only 5 presets), I have All Brass Band Radio preset (won't mention the other 4 as the significant other is a bit of a linguist) and you can use the listen again function for Listen to the band on the radio.

OK. I think Frank is fine. I've noticed that, in general, more poor intonation slips through the net than used to be the case, which is a shame as most other music on R2 is immaculate in execution (if not to everyone's taste). I would like to see the programme move along a little faster, and perhaps have more news and interviews. Maybe more military bands. What about a best new arrangement competition?

Please, no military bands! They get their hearing on Classic FM, which we don't. I think including pieces recorded by youth bands might be a really good thing. It'd open it up to a new young interested audience, that might tune in more often if they knew they had half a chance of being on the program.