Lip...........or No Lip that is the question.......

WhatSharp?

I tend to suffer a lot after park jobs (3 hours of hard blowing outside kills me stone dead, I wont mention my feeble attempt at On With The Motley .... more like Off With The Sop Player!). I usually have the next day off and gently ease back in. Recently I've noticed that playing pedals on my sons Euph tends to help, not too strenuous and doesn't put pressure on the sore spot.

Soppy

I find the best way is to practise regularly, with maybe one day off a week, but do it in bits. If you break it up and do say 2 half hour sessions instead of 1hr, it'll eventually build up the stamina.

As for cracked lips, I use lipsalve! For knackered lips; cold water and a rest!!!

btw, I also swap regularly between Bb and Eb. Do the others that do that use different mouthpieces? I use the same.

IckleSop

Soppy said:
btw, I also swap regularly between Bb and Eb. Do the others that do that use different mouthpieces? I use the same.

what n sound like a drowned rat??!!! no thanx!!!
Maybe thats whats upsettin my lips

Soppy

Well nobody ever told me not to, so people are suprised that I do now they know. I have no problems what so ever. The Bb is a bit bright, but it's still a good tone, just no good for contesting. But I am now starting to use a standard 4b for the Bb to soften it up a bit. It works a treat even if it is a bit too small!

I was always told (when I was on just the Bb) not to swap mouthpieces because, untill you've got a good embuchure, it'll damage it and be quite hard. It could be your problem, it might not be....

WhatSharp?

I don't have any probs swapping between Eb and Bb, use the same mouthpiece too. It depends on what mouthpiece you use for the Sop, if you use one (supposedly) designed for a sop then it will sound a bit thin on a Bb, however from a personal point of view I find that they just rip the lip apart in no time flat. I use a Warburton 6D with a 7* shank, prior to that I used a Wick 7C trumpet mouthpeice on my old sovereign (though it was a bit on hard side). It's all down to personal preference.

Soppy

I use a Bach 1 1/2 C for both. Brill for the Sop, but, like I said a bit bright on the Bb. Not thin though.

LU-Brasser

I use after each rehearshal or concert LA TROMBA Lip tonic, it cools the lips... restores the tone, of wekened or tired lips..

To switch between Eb and Bb I need different mouthpiece, for Sop Dennis Wick S and for Bb Dennis Wick 4b, but I don't play often Bb, because my Sound is very bad... anyway...

bill_p

sore lips and ulcers

i find that if you do a good warm down for a few mins after the practice then that helps a lot. as for ulcers i used to get loads of them and the best stuff i ever used on them was called "anbesol", its like bonjela but about 10 times more powerful. btw i play sop and Bb and the idea of playing both on the same mouthpiece is a little strange for me and i play my sop on a 4b. i was always told you should get the biggest mouthpiece that you can still handle and that way you get a nicer tone without having to do all that much until it gets high, failing that at least itll give you chops of steel. :x

billy parkinson
rothwell temperance

Aidan

yup, thats what i was always told too..
ello billy by the way :)
didnt know you were playing with temps :) how long have you been there?

bill_p

hi nadia, i joined just before the senior cup. hope your doing well, one more lecture to go this year now. bring on whit friday

Aidan

good stuff..
im fine, finished lectures ages ago.. just classes and final recital to go :D woohoo
whit fri is on the day of our ball, so we've organised a "brass-players ball" for the day after :D

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.