Leicester Contest

rutty

I got my bacon buttie at about 08:50 - it pays to be early :p

I couldn't stay long after the results but I did see Steve making a nuisance of himself in the Trade Stand area and Mumsie sat in the theatre. Also caught glimpses of Lausonbass and Vickie but no-one else I recognised.

Maybe next time :)

Colin

WoodenFlugel said:
...... Oh and a special mention for Towcesters performance of Land of the Long White Cloud - one of my favourite pieces and really really well played. Excellent :clap:
Thanks Woody. Kind of You. Well done Kibworth and Ratby (nearly got 'em).

I'm afraid I missed the earlier sections - (rehearsing).

We were pleased with 3rd. We've had a difficult year and its nice to get a good result especially being our last contest with Adele conducting. Adele has conducted the band for 6 years and brought us from the 2nd section to championship section. She'll be a hard act for someone to follow. (Hope to announce new MD by Chrimbo).

WoodenFlugel said:
I think the venue is OK. It a shame there is no bar to speak of (but it is a school!!!) but the main hall is a resonable place to play in and the back stage facilities are pretty good too. There was a lot of noise in the hall from outside, which was a shame but I don't remeber this being a problem on stage so maybe it wasn't an issue for the bands. If you're desperate for a pub then the 1852 is a stones throw away, and ..........
I think the venue is good enough for a small local contest and arguably better than Burton Town Hall.
I thought the stage was fine.
On site catering indooors (unlike Burton).
Changing rooms (unlike Leamington).
No waiting outside (unlike Buxton, Burton or Pontins).
Accessible loos (unlike Burton).
As my wife says, - there are plenty worse venues (and she's band secretary!)

I thought there was sort of a bar in the reception area but we were drawn last so didn't get the opportunity.
2 adjudicators - good - and we still didn't have to pay to hear the results (Midlands 2006?)

Di

rutty said:
I got my bacon buttie at about 08:50 - it pays to be early :p

I couldn't stay long after the results but I did see Steve making a nuisance of himself in the Trade Stand area and Mumsie sat in the theatre. Also caught glimpses of Lausonbass and Vickie but no-one else I recognised.

Maybe next time :)

Doh, missed you. I did look for you, but couldn't see you anywhere.

postie

The Chairman of our band was very complimentary about the pub nearby. He said quote"I could have stayed their all day". I must agree with a few other people it wasn't the worst venue and I have certainly been to worst places for a contest!!!!

Melph

Well Done Cawston for coming first (2nd section)! Excellent result.

Additionally, Cawston's bass section came first in the "Ugliest Section Award"..... what an achievement, although the adjudicator said there really wasnt any competition!

Chunky

Melph said:
Well Done Cawston for coming first (2nd section)! Excellent result.

Additionally, Cawston's bass section came first in the "Ugliest Section Award"..... what an achievement, although the adjudicator said there really wasnt any competition!

Thanks Melph, exactly how many contests did we win when you were playing for us :wink:

Melph

It wasnt the winning, it was the taking part ?!? Sorry, i meant it was the drinking that counted........

I recall some success's being relaid to us whilst attempting to drain every brewery of beer within a 40 mile radius.

MartinBen

Anyone listen to the 4th Section?

I used to play for Rushden and heard that they came last :(

Did they play poorly or just the usual "adjudicating lottery" ?

Chunky

MartinBen said:

Probably the latter, I was amazed at some results yesterday :rolleyes: lol!

Steve

MartinBen said:

Rushden are self admittedly getting back into the swing of contesting and were far from despondant about the result. I didnt hear them (or any other band as a comparison) but they had a good day out which is the primary objective.

Melph

I once dep'ed at Rushden for a concert (I had a friend, Helen who played front row) and the band was very good - I recall their band room was littered with trophies and certificates of their former success....... i hope they can come back to those days again,if indeed they have left them!

Colin

Melph said:
I once dep'ed at Rushden for a concert (I had a friend, Helen who played front row) and the band was very good - I recall their band room was littered with trophies and certificates of their former success....... i hope they can come back to those days again,if indeed they have left them!

Careful, there are 3 Rushden Bands (4 if you include SA).
1) Rushden Windmill are currently 3rd Section but potentially better when they have a full band. This band had a long successful history as Rushden Temperence and was a Championship Section band in the past (60's ?). The name changed in the 70's.

2) Rushden Town Band competed on Sunday in the 4th Section and are rebuilding after a lean period. The current Rushden Town Band grew out of a Windmill 'B' Band in the 80's and have had moderate success in the 4th Section. The original Rushden Town Band folded in the 60's. There was also a John Whites Footwear Band for a while in the 50's or 60's.

3) Rushden Mission Band (where I started) continues to play concerts but stopped contesting in the 80's.

Oh and we have a league footy team (just). Not bad for a small town.

Rushden Town Band

Steve said:
Rushden are self admittedly getting back into the swing of contesting and were far from despondant about the result. I didnt hear them (or any other band as a comparison) but they had a good day out which is the primary objective.

Thanks Steve - Rushden Town Band had a really good day out & didn't come last - we came 7th out of 8!! As you say we are getting back into the swing of contesting after going down to about 8 players 18 months ago. We are now regularly getting about 25 at rehearsal & thoroughly enjoying ourselves. We've had a busy engagement year & have made lots of friends. We have our own website with lots of photos (www.rushdentownband.org) - please visit it & leave some (hopefully nice) comments in the Guestbook!

Colin

(re)tired tenor said:
Thanks Steve - Rushden Town Band had a really good day out & didn't come last - we came 7th out of 8!! As you say we are getting back into the swing of contesting after going down to about 8 players 18 months ago. We are now regularly getting about 25 at rehearsal & thoroughly enjoying ourselves. We've had a busy engagement year & have made lots of friends. We have our own website with lots of photos (www.rushdentownband.org) - please visit it & leave some (hopefully nice) comments in the Guestbook!

I'm glad to hear it. I've depped for your band in the past.
Some really nice people.
Best wishes
Colin
:)

Anybody know the full results of the 1st Section?

We (knottingley silver) came 6th, which aint bad considering we had just 2 weeks to get a brand new test peice off, and to be fair we had some key players missing!