Legitimate or Stolen?

alanl58

A friend bought a Besson cornet at a car boot sale, and I offered to use the Boosey & Hawkes excellent serial number cruncher to check it's age.

Then it occurred to me that it may be stolen, so I had a look at one site that lists stolen instruments, but it was very restrictive, listing only instruments that had been posted.

Does anyone know if there is a global web site with a decent search engine that will cross check a second hand instrument against it's serial number and indicate it's legitimacy?

Alan Lafferty
Bude Metric Brass

I have not come across such a search engine...........but, as the membership here is growing so fast - maybe it could be something that Tmp could consider for the future?

After all........a stolen brass band type instrument could well turn up in one of our brass bands....... and I'm sure we would all love to be able to return a cherished instrument to its owner.

Just a list of serial numbers under categories of instrument would be a start - and if we come across a "bargain" - we could check here first..... and inform the last owner/ police???

Just a thought......

Roger Thorne

CaharleyFarley said:
I have not come across such a search engine...........but, as the membership here is growing so fast - maybe it could be something that Tmp could consider for the future?
Great idea Charley, I've already put your suggestion in our Moderators forum so we will discuss the possibiliites in depth and report back ASAP.

:wink:

Okiedokie of Oz

I used to be the band's instrument custodian and as such, I keep a list of all our instruments, serial numbers and condition, includinbg any identifying marks. If every band was to do this with their own instruments, plus we include our own personal horns, it would be relatively easy to come up with a database.

Okiedokie of Oz said:
keep a list of all our instruments, serial numbers and condition, includinbg any identifying marks. If every band was to do this with their own instruments

I think most bands do this with instruments they lend anyway, so it would be simple to collate (big word!!) the lists and make them into a national/regional database.

Cornishwomble

Don't you have to log all serial numbers as part of the insurance process? I think it would be a great idea to have a way of checking if an instrument is moody or not

lynchie

Majoresteve said:
collate (big word!!)

that's not a big word... extrapolation or multivariant or antidisestablishmentarianism... those are big words...

anyway, yes, sounds like a good idea, if someone ever stole my trombone I wouldn't want it to be sold to anyone else, mainly for their sanity...

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Hi folks,

As Roger mentioned earlier, we are looking into this for you - but there are lots of implications of managing such a database and I'd want to be sure tMP will remain 'clean' byso doing. Great idea though and I am sure we can come up with a workable solution for ya if you would all be willing to participate and co-operate in such a venture.

J

Dave1

Going back to the original post - the police do have a stolen property index which is linked to the police national computer. I believe items used to stay on for 7 years so it may well be worth having it checked via your local community policeman (if you can find him/her)??

:oops:

Okiedokie of Oz

Call me stupid but how could it be considered "not clean"??? If the bands, or we own the instruments, and if it's in our benefit to ensure people who owns these valuable assets, how can keeping a list get us in trouble?

Jo Elson

alanl58 said:
A friend bought a Besson cornet at a car boot sale, and I offered to use the Boosey & Hawkes excellent serial number cruncher to check it's age.

Then it occurred to me that it may be stolen, so I had a look at one site that lists stolen instruments, but it was very restrictive, listing only instruments that had been posted.

Does anyone know if there is a global web site with a decent search engine that will cross check a second hand instrument against it's serial number and indicate it's legitimacy?

Alan Lafferty
Bude Metric Brass
What made you think it might be stolen, or were you just curious as it was from a car boot sale?

alanl58

Just curious really.

Since it was easy enough to find out how old the cornet was, I thought it would be just as easy to satisfy my friend that you really can buy a cornet for £55, and that it was a genuine bargain. (Only one minor ding, and the valves, although clean, were a bit tight, but a drop of oil cured that. Now all she has to do is play it!)

Alan Lafferty

lynchie said:
Majoresteve said:
collate (big word!!)

that's not a big word... extrapolation or multivariant or antidisestablishmentarianism... those are big words...

anyway, yes, sounds like a good idea, if someone ever stole my trombone I wouldn't want it to be sold to anyone else, mainly for their sanity...

:D Off topic but this reminds me of the fantastic Gordon Strachan quote: Commentator: Gordon can we have a quick word
Strachan: Velovity
Pure class! :p

lynchie said:
Majoresteve said:
collate (big word!!)

ok, its a unusual word! :)