Left-handed trombone players...

Will the Sec

There should be no problem. Guy Dawes of Fulham Brass has played the bass trombone left handed for 35 years, and uses a right handed plug.

ScrapingtheBottom

Will the Sec said:
There should be no problem. Guy Dawes of Fulham Brass has played the bass trombone left handed for 35 years, and uses a right handed plug.

How? Surely the triggers would require some modification?

doubleplug said:
Chris,

1. Rath Troms were great. The only soldering mod required was to move the F triger to the opposite side of the support bar and add/delete the linkages so the valve turned correctly. The bach still used rotary valves so the mod was fairly easy (Thayer valves I suspect practically impossible). As regards costs - minor relative to the cost of the instrument with a turnaround of 4-5 days.

2. I Take your point on the Bach. It was the valve setup that dictated the purchase as much as anything else.

Real issue on the topic has to be whether one is naturally left or right handed. For trombone players this will dictate the relative strength of the slide arm (laziness) and the brains ability set the correct position without the player having to continualy adjust by sight.

I also forgot to mention, if one wishes to sell the instrument on afterwards, the market is somewhat reduced.

I think these concerns are just as valid as issues arising from the actual playing of the instrument. The economics of playing an instrument are very important for young players, the amount of even a few hundred pounds can be a deciding factor.

Personally I think it is important to get the best trombone you can with your money, budgeting in customisations because you play the instrument southpaw could price some models out for you.

highlander

TIMBONE said:
As far as I am aware, with a handful of exceptions (no pun intended) all classically trained violinists play right handed.
Sorry but you are so wrong. There are lots of left handed violinist that play it the "wrong" way. Looks quit funny on stage when they play it in the oposite direction.

About left handed trombone playing. Let the kid play the way he prefers is the best for him.

bass bone tim

I don't think that's a good idea. if he ever wants to play on a bass trom, or a trom with an f plug he'll have real problems. It won't take that long to get used to playing with his right hand. After a few months it'll come naturally, and after a few years of playing when he improves he won't even remember playing it the other way. I know there are examples of successful players playing "backwards" but there are many more left handed players playing right handed who aren't mentioned. The "lefties" are only famous for it because it looks different. I think he should learn the instrument how it is supposed to be played.

andyp

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting. I only started the topic because I'd never seen anyone play a trom left-handed, and being a cornet player what I know about trombones can be written on the end of a grain of rice!
For the moment we're leaving the lad left-handed, apparently if he tries it right-handed all his co-ordination goes out the window completely.
Are there maybe different "degrees" of left/right handedness? i.e unable to co-ordinate the other hand for anything at all (except support, obviously), as opposed to being, say, 70% left handed, so being able to play right-handed reasonably well.
I'm thinking of this as opposed to being ambidextrous, like my brother (who is an absolute pain to play table tennis against, as he can hit forehands both sides, and frequently does!).

Laserbeam bass

Just to point out that playing the trombone is a freak of nature and playing it left handed is obviously due to some faustian deal
ac43.gif

MoominDave

stevetrom said:
As an aside, Rugby Salvation Army band used to have a left-handed Eb Bass.

It was made for a player who lost the use of his right arm, all a long time before I can remember but has anyone come accross any other left handed instruments?
Someone at Warwick Uni when I was there played a right-handed French Horn. I believe it cost her quite a lot of money.

TIMBONE

highlander said:
Sorry but you are so wrong. There are lots of left handed violinist that play it the "wrong" way. Looks quit funny on stage when they play it in the oposite direction.
Maybe times have changed and I missed it. In my musical career, I have known quite a few 'left handed' violinists who all play the traditional bow in the right hand way. I appreciate that you think I am so wrong. Having said that, I would be interested to see a picture of any professional symphony orchestra in the world with a violinist playing with the bow in the left hand.

funk

He may also have to turn the trom upside down to blow water out too!
hello all, just thought i would have a go at correcting 1 or two things.
i play left handed trombone in a 8 piece recording funk band, have done for years.
So the upside down water thing,
no you don't have to turn it upside down,
its the same as normal because you take the slide off and turn that around,
try it you will see what i mean.
if your question is "Why play that way" ?
the simple answer is.. its no other reason than i feel more comfortable playing it that way :)

2nd tenor

IIRC not all slides are identical on each leg and triggers are certainly handed, but really isn’t the handing of a Trombone a non-issue? It might take a little time to get used to but using the slide with your non-dominant hand surely cannot be that hard. When I drive my car I use my non-dominant hand to operate the handbrake and the gear lever and my non-dominant foot to work the clutch, it’s never been an issue ...

Last edited:

funk

"IIRC not all slides are identical on each leg and triggers are certainly handed, but really isn’t the handing of a Trombone a non-issue? It might take a little time to get used to but using the slide with your non-dominant hand surely cannot be that hard. When I drive my car I use my non-dominant hand to operate the handbrake and the gear lever and my non-dominant foot to work the clutch, it’s never been an issue ..."

i see, i suppose if they are both the same length and bore then i would think it matters not,
if it sounds right, then it is right :)
Regarding dominant hand, eat you tea with just a fork... what hand is it in ? ( if your right handed ) the right.
now eat your tea with a knife and fork, Now what hand is your fork in ?.. the left, ok so right is the dominant hand,
but the net result is still pushing food into your face, how it gets there is irrelevant other than a visual aspect.
The net result of playing trombone is getting the notes out,
how we do it matters not as long as they are right.

just to dig my hole a bit deeper for strangeness... i also play flute with my top lip on the top of the lip plate
leaving my bottom jaw to do all sorts of stuff i cant do the other way around, again its just what we adapt to do, but it does freak my friend out, who also plays flute, haha

funk

Sorry all, my mistake, when i said this " its the same as normal because you take the slide off and turn that around," i was thinking about it and thought hold on the lock ring would be on the wrong side then.
So... to amend my first post.
No you don't take the slide of and turn that around.
you just infact turn the whole thing around 180 deg, so the mouth piece is still on top and hay presto the water valve is on the bottom.
there ya go, that was easy.
sorry about that :)