Least Favourite Test Pieces

Edit: Having moved the thread on Best Test Pieces into the Library, we have realised that a number of posts had gone on to discuss test pieces that people don't like. We've split off those posts for this new thread, but please note the title: just because we do not like a piece, it does not make it the "worst", and we would not want to cause offence to those composers who log on to tMP

Please continue the discussion here, bearing in mind our usual guidelines, as we shall be monitoring the thread carefully.

PB, Mod

Hey bread if you're feeling bored now that this is over why not start up the thread for 10 least favourite (edit) test pieces :p :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Okiedokie of Oz

Australian Euphonium said:
Hey bread if you're feeling bored now that this is over why not start up the thread for 10 least favourite (edit) test pieces :p :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ooooh!! Allow me!

Seven Wonders of the World
Leonardo
Amaranth
Oregon (well I liked it the first 3 times I played it.....)
Lowry Sketchbook :evil:
English Folk Song Suite
essence of Time
Slaidburn Festival Overture

That should get us started!!!

steveeuphywdb

Bread ... fantastic effort mate.

Least favourite (edit) test pieces? Try these:

Indian Summer
Haslemere Suite (utter tripe, that!)
Dimensions (Purely because I've played it too much and am sick of it!)
Stantonbury Festival
Little Suite for Brass

And BTW - what's wrong with Prague? (Apart from the vast volume of errata of course .... ahem .....!)

jonford

steveeuphywdb said:
Bread ... fantastic effort mate.

Least favourite (edit) test pieces? Try these:

Indian Summer
Haslemere Suite (utter tripe, that!)
Dimensions (Purely because I've played it too much and am sick of it!)
Stantonbury Festival
Little Suite for Brass

And BTW - what's wrong with Prague? (Apart from the vast volume of errata of course .... ahem .....!)

I have to disagree with some of those least favourite test pieces. I actually think Haslemere suite is good for a lower section band and youth bands. Not his best piece but I still like it!

hornulared

I agree that it can be a good piece - probably enjoyable piece for lower section bands

With no offence to Peter Graham cause he's written some brilliant pieces Harrison's Dream, Montage, Windoes of The World to name a few
but i feel that the Haslemere suite can in no way be thought of as coming near those pieces or other test pieces.

tewkeshorn

Account Suspended
Okiedokie of Oz said:
Ooooh!! Allow me!

Seven Wonders of the World

Hey, I liked playing Seven Wonders! Great horn part, all those octave leaps..hang on what am I saying it was a nightmare! :p

Henk-Jan

On the dislike (edit) list:
Chivalry - Ellerby
Ballet for Band - Horovitz
Victorian Snapshots - Steadman-Allen

Edit: Split from 100 Best Test Pieces and renamed - see explanation on first post. PB, Mod

Dave Payn

hornulared said:
Symphony for brass is terrible, i agree with you on that one - one of the worst i've ever played!!! :)

If this is the Symphony for Brass that was arranged from the Victor Ewald quintet, then perhaps out of fairness we should bear in mind that its arranger (Michael Hopkinson) has produced a number of quality arrangements in the past. I do feel though that no composer/arranger could have done that piece justice. Ewald's Quintet no. 1 was subtitled Symphony for Brass and one or two have presumably had the idea that the word 'symphony' should automatically be related to 'symphonic' and therefore expanded (JSVB did a 10 piece version with rather cheesy percussion of at least one of the movements some years back). It doesn't work in expanded format, and in my view never will do.

The Quintet no. 1 by Ewald is, in my humble opinion, a largely lovely piece of music (give or take the rather bland opening to the last movement) which purely by the way it was written, can only really work on a quintet. If you've not experienced the joys of hearing the Ewald quintets, then the Wallace Collection recorded them on the Deux-Elles label on a CD entitled Baltic Brass. Stockholm Chamber Brass recorded the basic three as well as a 4th quintet, arranged from a string quartet, on the BIS label on a CD entitled Sounds of St Petersburg. Stockholm use a modern brass quintet, Wallace Collection play on historic instruments, both are well worth listening to.

Owen

On the basis that I have never participated in a decent contest stage performance, I would have to put Ballet for Band - but that is more in the category of "a piece I would dread having to play again" even though I actually quite like it.

Personally I didn't enjoy Prometheus Unbound very much - was that for the Senior Cup one year? I would also have to list Whitsun Wakes as not being a favourite.

andyp

My least favourite (from a playing point of view, anyway) is Concerto No.1 for Brass Band. It's not a composer thing, as Blitz and Devil and the Deep Blue Sea are two of my favorites, but I didn't enjoy a single minute of playing it.

IYOUNG

Only just discussing this elsewhere this very morning I really cannot get to grips with Wilby's Revelation, the rest of his stuff is great.

another one is Plantagenats

Ian

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
New Buckingham Suite. :evil: :evil: AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I'm sure it's OK for what it was intended for but as an Area test piece :?:

Making horse whinney noises as one percussionist rubs a balloon while wearing rubber gloves and another drops a golf ball into a bucket is not what I want to be playing when my band is facing relegation thankyouverymuch :evil:

Bryan_sop

WoodenFlugel said:
New Buckingham Suite. :evil: :evil: AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I'm sure it's OK for what it was intended for but as an Area test piece :?:

Making horse whinney noises as one percussionist rubs a balloon while wearing rubber gloves and another drops a golf ball into a bucket is not what I want to be playing when my band is facing relegation thankyouverymuch :evil:

Wasn't that the 2nd section area piece a few years back. I had erased that from my memory (for good reason) If I remember correct, the Euphs had to make mooing noises and the horns/baris had to put dusters over the end of their bells???? :shock:

The Cornet King

Bryan_sop said:
If I remember correct, the Euphs had to make mooing noises and the horns/baris had to put dusters over the end of their bells???? :shock:

Doesnt putting dusters over bells happen in pieces you arent meant to do anyway! :wink:

From watching contests recently, especially the nationals i thought the only way bands can play quiet is to put dusters/flat caps/practice mutes into the bells!! :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:
(tongue in cheek moment) :wink:

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Bryan_sop said:
Wasn't that the 2nd section area piece a few years back. I had erased that from my memory (for good reason) If I remember correct, the Euphs had to make mooing noises and the horns/baris had to put dusters over the end of their bells???? :shock:

Oh yes....that's the one. Apologies if I've started any "my second section area hell" memories by mentioning that piece. :p :wink:

I wonder what the selection committee were thinking of when they picked this? :? :roll:

Pieces I don't like

Oliver Cromwell
New Buckingham Suite
Leonardo
The Frogs

PS - on the subject of Ewald Symphony no1, have to agree that it was a great brass quintet, just didn't work in the full band transcription.

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Lowry Sketchbook :evil:
English Folk Song Suite
essence of Time
Slaidburn Festival Overture

That should get us started!!!

Lowry Sketchbook, Essense of Time????????????????

personally I find the slower, musical elements in these two pieces to be among the most amazing brass band literature. Essence of Time for the sheer music of it and the vibraphone motif and middle band chords in Lowry are pure musical genius.

Sorry, have to tottaly disagree with putting these two in....