Leamington Contest 2010

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Would some kind "TMPer's" please affix what the bands played at Leamington Spa yesterday.

KSJ.

From memory - and 1st section only:

Enderby: Land Of The Long White Cloud
Wigston: Beatrice And Benedict
Bedworth: Granite Variations
Oddfellows: Tallis Variations
Hathern: Hebridean Suite

EDIT: I think Leicester Co-op played Variations on Laudate Dominum in the 2nd section.

Had a great day yesterday and we were well pleased with our result. Although I'm a bit of an Enderby newbie I do know they've had a fairly rough time over the last 12 months so hopefully this is the start of the comeback. Congratulations to Oddfellows, although I didn't hear you (couldn't tear myself away from my pint) by all accounts you were good value for the win.

Onward to Leicester!

Nigel Hall

Supporting Member
Shipston played Alan Fernie's "A Royal Mile Suite" in the 4th and Chorale and Variations by Leighton Lucas in the 3rd.

marksmith

What a shame that the contest is moving away from Leamington for next year.
I understand that the facilities have become too expensive for the WMBBA to book.
This has been an excellent venue over the years, so I wish the committee the very best of luck with their new choice of venue for 2011.

astreet83

What a shame that the contest is moving away from Leamington for next year.
I understand that the facilities have become too expensive for the WMBBA to book.
This has been an excellent venue over the years, so I wish the committee the very best of luck with their new choice of venue for 2011.

Not sure about excellent venue. There isn't enough room for all bands!! However, the room and stage make up for that.

I believe the new venue will be a school, but not sure of where. Anyone????

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
(If memory serves) Its at Pershore High School, which is one of the three Wychavon venues.

I agree its a shame - while the Spa Centre has always been - lets say 'cosy' - and the acoustic is never quite how you remembered or expected or it to be, I've always enjoyed playing there. It was also the venue for my first ever senior band contest (back in the days when everything was black and white and people walked funny), so I have lots of good memories of it.

ian perks

Moving contest to Pershore really it cant be called the West Midlands Association Contest anymore as Pershore is not in West Midlands.
Im sure another venue in the West Midlands area could have been found.
Just hope changing the venue does not stop the bands going to this very good contest.

marc71178

If you're so sure that another venue inside the areas covered by the WMBBA (which incidentally covers Worcestershire, in which the town of Pershore is situated) could be found, you no doubt will be able to give plenty of suggestions then?

marksmith

I am sure that the WMBBA does indeed welcome bands from the Worcestershire area, as member bands, however, they are not 'West Midlands' bands geographically.
On this occasion, I do agree with Ian and his question asking why a venue could not be found in the West Midlands area?
We already travel 50 miles from Brum/Walsall to Evesham/Pershore for the Wychavon contest and the Festival of Brass, so do we really want to be taking our only real 'West Midlands' contest even further away from it's roots?
Leamington, though not geographically in the West Midlands, has served well as a venue for the past 25+ years.
It was chosen as the venue at the time, as Wolverhampton Civic Hall had become too expensive and Bedworth (which was also experimented with), proved unpopular.
However, with the rise of Academy schools in the West Midlands, we now have school buildings which are far superior to the Pershore schools - and are within the central motorway network and accessible to ALL bands, easily!
I suspect that the Pershore decision was made for sound economic reasons but surely lacks any innovation or vision.
Personally, I believe that the WMBBA committee does a good job but surely this is the opportunity to bring the contest home, not farm it out to the Worcestershire area for the next 20 years!

Di B

For the above posts and to others who weren't there to hear the comments made on the day....

They are moving for financial reasons. The venue in the current climate is not viable.
This can be proven as in the 1st section you had to come 2nd or above to get your entry fee back! (I know most contests have low prize money, but this does make me wince!)

They did ask that anyone with any realistic and useful suggestions contact the WMBBA where they would be seriously considered.
So, if anyone doesn't like/agree with the decision made and can offer a better, cost effective venue available at the same weekend please let the WMBBA know.
If you don't know of anywhere, undertake the work to find somewhere or be thankful that at least the contest does have a new home and will continue rather than fold.

I understand people feeling a loss - I have only ever known the contest to be held at that venue and will be sorry not to attend there next year.
However, I am glad that the contest will continue and hope a lot of bands support it next year.

lynchie

It's a shame it's moving but, having organised an event at the Spa Centre in the past, it's not exactly a cheap place to book. Hopefully bands will continue to support the contest at it's new location.

On another note, could anyone tell me what Warwick Uni played and where they came?

Product tMP members are discussing