LAND O'BURNS CONTEST - SATURDAY 4th SEPT. 2004

DLogan

LAND O' BURNS INVITATION CONTEST -
CONCERT HALL, TROON, SATURDAY 4th SEPT. 2004

The Dalmellington Band are proud to present their annual "Land O' Burns Invitation Brass Band Contest" in the Concert Hall in Troon on Saturday September 4th.

This will be our tenth Contest and since it's inception in 1995, we have striven to make it one of the best Contests on the Brass Band circuit, bringing top quality Bands to Troon to compete in a friendly but competitive competition. We are delighted to announce that this year has seen a record number of Bands enter the Contest, which indicates that our aim when we began, has been well and truly achieved.

Eighteen Bands (from England & Northern Ireland as well as from all over Scotland) will converge on the town to do battle for a very impressive prize fund of £4500 - which is the highest prize fund of any Contest in Scotland - with the winners on the day receiving £2000.

The full line-up will be :-

Annan Town
Bo'ness & Carriden
Buckhaven & Methil Miners
Campbeltown Brass
Clackmannan District
Dunaskin Doon
Fishburn
Freckleton
Irvine & Dreghorn
Johnstone Silver
Kingdom Brass
Kirkintilloch
Mactaggart Scott Silver
Shotts St. Patrick's
Tullis Russell Mills
Unison Kinneil
Whitburn
1st Old Boys (Seacat)

The draw will take place at 10.30am with the first Band taking to the stage and ready to play at 11.30am.

Each Band will be playing a programme of entertaining concert items lasting no longer that 20 minutes. This time limit will be strictly enforced. Each Band's programme must not exceed 20 minutes playing time but to allow for tempo fluctuations on the day, there is a one minute "safety barrier." If a Band goes beyond the safety barrier, they will be deducted 2 points for every 10 seconds they exceed the limit. The timings taken will be for music performance only, announcements and time between pieces will not be counted.

Darth_Tuba

I'll be there playing with my old band Freckleton. The programme is of course top secret! Plus I've forgotten what it is anyway! hehe. Anyway, just so you know anyone who's going if you wish to avoid me!

aqua76

Results

Mini results for time being - full results will appear later im sure

1 Whitburn
2 Unison Kinneil
3 Fishburn
4 Kirkintilloch

Best Instrumentalist - Soprano - Unison Kinneil
Best Cornet - Fishburn
Best Basses - Whitburn

Long day for all but very enjoyable, great to see bands coming from England and Ireland to attend.

Jane
Dalmellington Band

DLogan

Full Results

1. Whitburn
2. Unison Kinneil
3. Fishburn
4. Kirkintilloch
5. Kingdom Brass
6. Johnstone
7. Freckleton
8. Clackmannan District
9. Bo’ness & Carriden
10. 1st Old Boys (Seacat)
11. Campbeltown Brass
12. Irvine & Dreghorn
13. Tullis Russell Mills
14. Shotts St. Patrick’s
15. Buckhaven Methil Miners
16. Dunaskin Doon
17. Annan Town (APD) Band

Best Instrumentalist: Owen Downie, Soprano with Unison Kinneil
Best Principal Cornet: John Gill, Fishburn
Best Euphonium: Patrick Howard, Freckleton
Best Bass Section: Whitburn
Dress & Deportment: Fishburn

Diane
Dalmellington Band

JTKBrass

Does anyone have the points ? I know we (Kingdom Brass) had two deducted for being over time ... just trying to work out what the adjudicators actual placings were (and how much prize money we missed out on !!)

Just so as there's no confusion, I played 'Glorious Ventures' which is a solo composed by Peter Graham. In truth I didn't arrange it, I just put together a band part from the piano score I had so that I could play it with band accompaniment as there wasn't a band score for Eb soloist.

Paul Drury