L&SC regionals results

sparkling_quavers

Since all the other results are on here I thought I would add the L&SC regional results (lifted straight from 4bars obviously!). I don't really know any of the bands in the area so I can't really comment on the results. The only connection I have is that a good friend of mine that I went to uni with plays for Redbridge in the Ch section so he was pleased anyway!

I would be interested to know why Hosier & Dickinson (Watford) Band were disqualified! anyone know?

Championship section
Sunday 16 March

Adjudicator: Alan Morrison

1. Redbridge Brass, M. White, 6, 191 Q
2. Alliance Brass, P. Parkes, 2, 190 Q
3. Aveley & Newham, N. Taken, 11, 189
4. Soham Comrades, P. Filby, 7, 187
5. Regent Brass, G. Wyatt, 1, 185
6. Kidlington Concert Brass, C. Underwood, 9, 184
7. Welwyn Garden City, D. Stokes, 8, 182
8. City of Oxford, J. Glynn, 3, 180
9. Bedford Town, G. Bennett, 10, 179
10. Clacton-on-Sea Co-op, M. White, 4, 178
11. Staines Brass, I. McElligott, 5, 177

Matthews Norfolk Brass, D. Stowell, W

Soloist prize cornet: Redbridge
Soloist prize euph: Alliance Brass

--------------------------------------------------------------

First section
Sunday 16 March

Adjudicator: Brian Buckley

1. Friary Guildford, K. Maxwell, 6, 189
2. Zone One Brass, S. Dobson, 10, 187
3. Ipswich & Norwich Co-op, S. Kenna , 9, 184
4. KM Medway, G. Wilson, 13, 183
5. Northfleet Brass, D. Lewis, 14, 182
6. Denham Hendon Brass, TBA, 15, 181
7. Alder Valley Brass, D. Barringer, 11, 180
8. Egham, G. Green, 5, 179
9. Chichester City, J. Williams, 7, 178
10. Haverhill Silver, M. Ager, 2, 177
11. Hatfields of Colchester, B. Reader, 8, 176
12. Stonesfield Silver, T. Brotherhood, 4, 175
13. Epping Forest, M. Easener, 3, 174
13. Fairlop, K. Jordan, 12, 174
15. City of Cambridge, R. Hull. 1, 173

Tilbury, R. Nunnery, W

Note:
There was an error made from the stage regarding placings 5 and 6. Our text message went out with Denham placed 5. Our apologies.

Second section
Saturday 15 March

Adjudicator: Alan Morrison

1. Wantage Silver, M. Pegram, 8, 187
2. Broseley Brass, P. Fensom, 5, 185
3. Brighton Silver, E. Flood, 1, 184
4. Cawston, C. Swaep, 2, 182
5. Horsham Borough, G. Bacon, 13, 181
6. BAE Systems, K. Woodger, 4, 180
7. Crystal Palace, M. Gray, 6, 179
8. Becontree, J. Morahan, 16, 178
9. St Albans City, S. Garman, 15, 177
10. Castleton Brass, D. Aves, 14, 176
11. Capital Concert Brass, D. Muir, 3, 175
12. Yiewsley & West Drayton, C. Cole, 7, 174
13. Woking, B. LeTissier, 12, 173
14. Betteshanger Welfare, D. Burridge, 10 , 172
15. Cantium Brass, J. Gould, 9, 171
16. Epsom & Ewell Silver, M. Winter, 11 , 170

Grimsdyke Brass, K. Ransom, W

Third section
Saturday 15 March

Adjudicator: Melvin White

1. Ware Brass, K. Durbin, 12, 183 Q
2. Fulbourn & Teversham RBL, P. Mott, 9, 181 Q
3. Sandhurst Silver, R. Burke, 13, 180 Q
4. Croydon, M. Hackett, 8, 178
5. Hitchin, G. Carney, 10, 177
6. Stantonbury Brass, A. Jenkin, 7, 176
7. East London Brass, S. Earley, 4, 175
8. Chinnor, D. Pegram, 17, 174
9. Hungerford Town, T. Crouter, 14, 173
10. Littleport Brass, J. Hammond, 1, 172
11. St. Sebastian’s Wokingham, B.Gentry, 15, 171
12. Bradwell Silver, B. Keech, 16, 170
13. Hangleton, C. Nonoo, 5, 169
14. Letchworth Garden City, T. Welch, 6, 166
15. KM Medway Concert Brass, T. Andrew, 11, 164
16. Jubilee Brass (Oxford), K. Membury, 2, 162
17. Amersham, A. Fawbert, 3, 160

Fourth Section
Sunday 16 March

Adjudicator: Jim Davies

1. Thundersley Brass Band, K. Schroeder, 17, 183
2. Great Yarmouth Brass, S. Philpot, 12, 181
3. Woodbridge Excelsior Band, E. Howells, 5, 180
4. Hilgay Silver, A. Clarke, 4, 179
5. Fulham Brass, P. McLaughlin, 18, 178
6. Castle Point Brass, T.Davey, 3, 176
7. Hemel Hempstead, G. Weeks, 14, 175
8. Chalgrove, S. Sizeland, 6, 174
9. Somersham Town Band, D. Wilson, 9, 173
10. Potters Bar Town Band, S. Groarke, 15, 172
11. Wantage Silver B Band, D. Dullforce, 1, 170
12. Tadley Concert Brass, P. Chapman, 16, 169
13. Charles Church Camberley Band, G.Hughes, 19, 167
13. King's Lynn Town Band, D. Taylor, 11, 167
15. Bletchington Silver Band, S.Barwick, 2, 166
16. Cobham, T. Howard, 7, 165
17. Haslemere Town Band, G. Wade, 13, 164
18. New Buckenham Silver Band, A. Broadbent, 8, 163

DISQUALIFIED: Hosier & Dickinson (Watford) Band, J. Woodrow, 10

Waterbeach Brass, C. Bell, WITHDREW

PeterBale

Staff member
Congratulations to all at Redbridge (and Alliance, of course). Was Ralph playing top cornet for you? - I see you won the best cornet prize, and I wondered if he was.

Soppy

Aren't we (New Buckenham) brilliant!!!! :roll: :oops: :cry:

Thundersly are (unooficially) under investigation. We think they had 26players. Several officials have also hinted that there's a problem! :eek:

HBB

Soppy said:
Aren't we (New Buckenham) brilliant!!!! :roll: :oops: :cry:

Thundersly are (unooficially) under investigation. We think they had 26players. Several officials have also hinted that there's a problem! :eek:

Sounds familiar ................ mouth zipped :D ;)

Ben :)

Never mind Soppy ! ;)

Soppy

But if they are DQ for that, why the hell did they do it. They know the rules. Surely they can count. They were by far and away the best band in the section, so that one player wouldn't have made much difference. Also, why did registration let them through in the first place?!?!

Valvecap

A band i have played with was stung bya similar DQ after a contest - they played at a well known entertainments contest - 3 weeks before the contest, they withdrew due to not having enough players to go - they were informed by the association concerned that they could borrow "out of section" to allow them to compete. Thus, they put a program together and went to the contest -

I dont remember the exact placing, but they were placed, and then DQ due to fielding inelligible players.

As far as they were concerned, they had done nothing wrong... perhaps there has been some crossed wires in this new case???

The band i was concerned with no longer contest at contests run by the association in question.

Curious

I can see complications arising out of eligibility areas... but too many players!!?? COME ON THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.

In Wales the registration official normally confirms the number of players signed with the band prior to going on stage. Does this happen elsewhere?

However I do sympathise with the band. I played in the first BBC Cumbria contest in Whitehaven. The band finished 2nd but was then disqualified for being in the wrong section.NOT A NICE FEELING :( :(

PeterBale

Staff member
Curious said:
I can see complications arising out of eligibility areas... but too many players!!?? COME ON THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE.

In Wales the registration official normally confirms the number of players signed with the band prior to going on stage. Does this happen elsewhere?

The problem appears to have been that officials assumed the "extra" player was in the percussion section, but then played a brass instrument instead.

It makes you wonder whether the rules should be adjusted to give a total number of players, to include the percussion, but to leave the distribution of the parts to the individual band. Given the fact that percussion is becoming more of an essential part of the score, that may not be as heretical as it first sounds, and would alleviate this sort of difficulty in the future. It would mean, however, that the adjudicators would have to treat the absence of any important percussion part as seriously as they would a missing euphonium solo, which has not generally been the case in the past.

HBB

Well, speaking from experience of LS&C, I have to say that the organization isn't great down there. THey used to hand in their cards as you wen't on stage, but this stopped?? There were also bands praticing during OUR PERFORMANCE, so loud that we could hear them. Has this effected anyone else??

Ben ;)

neiltwist

PeterBale said:
It makes you wonder whether the rules should be adjusted to give a total number of players, to include the percussion, but to leave the distribution of the parts to the individual band. Given the fact that percussion is becoming more of an essential part of the score, that may not be as heretical as it first sounds, and would alleviate this sort of difficulty in the future. It would mean, however, that the adjudicators would have to treat the absence of any important percussion part as seriously as they would a missing euphonium solo, which has not generally been the case in the past.

well, sometimes percussion players are sparse, and in each piece there could be different numbers of percussionists needed!

sparkling_quavers

what i don't understand is how the band thought they might get away with it!? also if they came first by a mile it's not like an extra player would have lost them the placing. ....it seems crazy! :?

neiltwist

they were obviously told that the youngster could play, and didn't think it was against the rules, and also you don't know you're going to win before hand!

sparkling_quavers

neiltwist said:
they were obviously told that the youngster could play, and didn't think it was against the rules, and also you don't know you're going to win before hand!

Yeah that is true but the winning band normally has a good idea they are well in form and in with a chance! How can they not know it is against the rules???? All contest secretaries (at least) should have read the rules and will know about how many players are allowed to register with the band and how many are allowed on the stage at a particular contest. If they don't they aren't exactly doing their job properly are they?! :shock:

neiltwist

it is the south though. they don't understand banding very well in some places. i've heard of having french horns INSTEAD of tenors!

sparkling_quavers

neiltwist said:
it is the south though. they don't understand banding very well in some places. i've heard of having french horns INSTEAD of tenors!

Ouch Neil! I bet you will get some interesting responses to this one!