Kaleidoscope Recording

Aidan

Razor said:
As the piece was recorded as part of the 'programming' for another CD by Fodens and not specifically for the regional CD I don't think it should be regarded as the definitive interpretation.
I may be wrong but i dont think they are allowed to do that as the recording is the property of the cd makers and not the bands. When I recorded one of the pieces last year I know we wern't allowed to use it on our own commercial recordings i dont think.

Brian Kelly

Nadia said:
Razor said:
As the piece was recorded as part of the 'programming' for another CD by Fodens and not specifically for the regional CD I don't think it should be regarded as the definitive interpretation.
I may be wrong but i dont think they are allowed to do that as the recording is the property of the cd makers and not the bands. When I recorded one of the pieces last year I know we wern't allowed to use it on our own commercial recordings i dont think.

That may have been true of "Regionals" CDs in previous years, but for this year the Regionals CD is a compilation taken from existing recordings, e.g. the recording of "Partita" by Black Dyke is taken from "The Music of Edward Gregson volume 2"

As for Richard Evans' interpretation of Kaleidoscope, he takes some of it differently to Peter Lockett, our conductor, but that does not mean either that Peter is wrong or that Richard is wrong, they just have different views on how it should be played. There are many ways to skin a cat, after all (not that I've ever tried).

skweeky

personally, if the recording had been played at the contest the that band would deffinitely not come high at all. The conductors interpretation however is, IMO, the way it should be. Maybe Phillip could agree or disagree?? Some of the parts on the recording arn't even there and some in the wrong place, particularly at the beginning (sop came in a beat or so too early and the cornets drop off the notes a beat too early as well) Thats only one point from the first few bars!

Anglo Music Press

Well, I've tried to keep my lips sealed here, but I must say I was VERY disappointed with the recording. It was done on minimal rehearsal and some of the players WERE sightreading. I will say no more!! :wink:

Accidental

Supporting Member
Disappointing yes, but really so unusual? I don't think so! We've got loads of CDs with suspiciously ropey tracks, and I've lost count of the number of concerts by "top" bands I've been to where at times they didn't seem to know (or care?!!!) what they were doing. Unfortunately, I think that as long as we keep paying for 2nd rate performances - live or recorded - things won't change much.

WhatSharp?

Heres a novel Idea,

How about the winners from the Finals for each scection get to record the piece for the next areas!

So 4th Section Winners get to record the 4th Section peice, and so on!.

More of a prize than the money and I'm sure the lower section bands would jump at it.

James McFadyen

Accidental said:
I think that as long as we keep paying for 2nd rate performances - live or recorded - things won't change much.

I quite agree with this, although I believe it's quite subjective. To please the actual composer is a tough job, I can't speak for every composer, but I am certainly very fussy about how my own music should be performed. It's part of the frustrated artist thing :)

I think even top bands will and do get in wrong in the eyes of the composer, this is not to say it's wrong or right, for it's not quite so black and white IMHO. The crowd may love a performance while the composer thought it didn't come across they was he/she wrote it. This is a question that's almost impossible to answer with a single explanation.

Accidental

Supporting Member
James, trust you to turn this into a discussion all about the composer! :wink: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking more about the ears of the audience - anyone can spot splits and fluffs and missed entries!

MRSH

Supporting Member
James McFadyen said:
Accidental said:
I think that as long as we keep paying for 2nd rate performances - live or recorded - things won't change much.

I quite agree with this, although I believe it's quite subjective. To please the actual composer is a tough job, I can't speak for every composer, but I am certainly very fussy about how my own music should be performed. It's part of the frustrated artist thing :)

I think even top bands will and do get in wrong in the eyes of the composer, this is not to say it's wrong or right, for it's not quite so black and white IMHO. The crowd may love a performance while the composer thought it didn't come across they was he/she wrote it. This is a question that's almost impossible to answer with a single explanation.

I'm really sorry to be so blunt but what on earth has this got to do with the fact that the playing of Kaleidoscope on the Regionals 2004 CD is rubbish.

It's not about the composer or the music he wrote it's about the naff way the band went about performing a piece of music that was recorded for commercial sale.

If the performance was up to scratch (which it isn't by a long, long way) I might begin to understand your, somewhat, confusing post. But the reality of it is (and, incidently, what this thread is all about) that the playing on the CD is rubbish and the band and the recording company should be ashamed of themselves.

James McFadyen

Accidental said:
James, trust you to turn this into a discussion all about the composer! :wink: :lol: :lol:
I was thinking more about the ears of the audience - anyone can spot splits and fluffs and missed entries!

Oh right, my mistake! :wink:

The audience just want a good night's entertainment IMHO.

steveeuphywdb

I've read thru this thread with interest and would have to say - isn't the obvious solution (where possible) to get the composer to approve recordings for the area finals CDs before they are allowed into our greasy palms and CD players? :roll: :roll:

Just a thought - I know it couldn't be done for every piece selected - but I'm sure there's some mileage in this idea.

And Steve - great idea on winning bands doing recordings - there'd be cash in it as well as kudos.

Dave Payn

There has (for some bizarre reason I know not) been some confusion as to what this topic is about. MRSH quite clearly stated that it was the performance on the Regional CD of Kaleidoscope that was sub standard, NOT the music. Having now heard the CD (and played the piece last Friday with Yiewsley and West Drayton) I wholeheartedly agree. The music's great, the recording most certainly isn't!

WhatSharp?

steveeuphywdb said:
I've read thru this thread with interest and would have to say - isn't the obvious solution (where possible) to get the composer to approve recordings for the area finals CDs before they are allowed into our greasy palms and CD players? :roll: :roll:

Just a thought - I know it couldn't be done for every piece selected - but I'm sure there's some mileage in this idea.

And Steve - great idea on winning bands doing recordings - there'd be cash in it as well as kudos.

Nice to see you here at last Steve, and fully agree on getting the composers' (where possibly) seal of approval.

WhatSharp?

Dave Payn said:
There has (for some bizarre reason I know not) been some confusion as to what this topic is about. MRSH quite clearly stated that it was the performance on the Regional CD of Kaleidoscope that was sub standard, NOT the music. Having now heard the CD (and played the piece last Friday with Yiewsley and West Drayton) I wholeheartedly agree. The music's great, the recording most certainly isn't!

Well I love the piece, hope you and your good lady enjoyed yourselves on Friday, your both welcome back any time.

Dave Payn

WhatSharp? said:
Dave Payn said:

Well I love the piece, hope you and your good lady enjoyed yourselves on Friday, your both welcome back any time.

We most certainly did, thank you (and thank you for having us play! - even if we did get back home at 1.45am! ;-)). Band sounds great, (really!) and nice to meet a (a) a few old friends from previous bands and (b) two tMP members in WhatSharp and Homocidalbennyboy! Wishing you all the very best at Stevenage on the 20th!

Kind regards

DP

chriscole

Dave Payn said:
WhatSharp? said:
Dave Payn said:

We most certainly did, thank you (and thank you for having us play! - even if we did get back home at 1.45am! ;-)). Band sounds great, (really!) and nice to meet a (a) a few old friends from previous bands and (b) two tMP members in WhatSharp and Homocidalbennyboy! Wishing you all the very best at Stevenage on the 20th!

Kind regards

DP

Thanks for your positive comments about the band. You are most welcome to come down to for a 'blow' any time you like.

(Yes, I'm afraid not getting home before 1am on Sat morning after band is a requirement if you come to a Friday evening rehearsal. We didn't get home until 1.30pm and planned to be in Yorkshire for the Regionals at 10.45am! :roll: )

Anglo Music Press

With respect, I feel some of the solutions put forward are not practical.

Section Champions to record the pieces: this would mean 5 different recording sessions (including rigging and striking) for one CD. Not a goer, I'm afraid. And as good as some lower section bands sound on stage, it's a different story in the recording studio.

Ask the composer to approve before release: the fact is, when you ask a band to record a piece, you are in their hands. Some bands will do this with enormous care and preparation, others will treat is as easy money and not put the work in, with obvious results. The economics of CD production simply means you can't keep making recordings until the composer is happy with it; you have to risk the band doing the job properly.

So it's rather hit and miss; and you will get the odd 'duffer'.

For what it's worth, the idea of producing a regionals CD was mine. When I worked for Polyphonic, I noticed how well a recording we had done of Oceans sold once it had been set for the Areas. I had the idea to record all the pieces for the following year with a top band, so that lower section bands could benefit from a first class perfomance of pieces that top bands don't normally record.

The rest is history! As I said, you are at the mercy of the band most of the time. :?

WhatSharp?

Well on behalf of all the lower section bands I would like to thank you. Not only have you provided us with some of the best contest pieces to play you made it possible for us to hear them first!.

I really like all the Regionals CDs (though I don't have 2000), just a quick question though, what happened for 2001?, if I recall isn't that one missing?.