Kaleidoscope Dynamics.....

Shommusic

I wonder if anyone can answer this query (perhaps even Mr Sparke himself!)?

Variation 1 (the loud horn one!), bars 57-66 are marked piano throughout on the music; however, at bar 65 & 66 the horns and baritones have an accented motif together with percussion. Percussion is marked at ff, should horns/bars be the same dynamic as percussion, or still just p???

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks!

Naomi McFadyen

at a guess, cos I've only played through it once... it's correct... cos it's a percussion feature their if I remember rightly...
anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

;-)

geordiecolin

I PM'd Philip about this not long ago.

Apparently it is an error on the horn part, it should be marked as with the rest of the band.

Anglo Music Press

Yes, I admit it!!!! It's a mistake!! :oops:

Horns and baritones should have an ff in bar 65.

Apologies for that. But I think it's the only error that has been found.

Good luck to all 2nd section bands at the Areas :lol:

Andy_Euph

Anglo Music Press said:
I think Mr Sparke should be congratulated for there being only one mistake found... much better than in previous years where nearly every area piece has a massive errata sheet!

Moy

Anglo Music Press said:
PeterBale said:
Does that mean the others are better hidden :?: :shock: :lol:
No - it means it's tempting fate to claim that there ARE no other errors!! :lol:
Nice to see a composer who actually comes and talks to us.
Although I am not playing your piece thank you very much Philip.
I am playing Coventry Variations...and am changing a note that I know IS wrong.....might get penalised. :cry:

skweeky

hello Phillip. Im only young, young enough to not know anything but personally prefer your piece to any test piece ive played yet :lol: ive only played 7 or 8 but even still :D

but id like to ask your opinion as its a chance not many people can get to ask a composer about his own music but in the the opening of kaleidoscope (the 1st 4/4 section) the sop and solo cornets have a sort of pad and normally goes out of tune for fear of losing dynamic or simply the sop falling off but ive wondered that although the rest of the cornet section playing here (i think) they are playing with a tin mute in and would it be right to have the sop play with a fibre mute instead to be more comfortable or is that cheating???

thanks alot :wink:

ps ive heard a few bands perform it already and their percussion drown out the cornets quavers at 303 - 339 is it supposed to be like this?

Baldeagle

Anglo Music Press said:
Yes, I admit it!!!! It's a mistake!! :oops:

Horns and baritones should have an ff in bar 65.

Good luck to all 2nd section bands at the Areas :lol:
Great bit of music Philip, we came 1st with it at Derby last week.

Congratulations. I agree with you it is a terrific piece of music there is something for everyone. At least the 2nd cornets don't have 65 bars rest or anything like that, they get the chance to show what they are made of.