Just a question.

six pints

i used to, but i only got a b for a level biology, and cant remember any of it. if need maths or physics i like those!

ScrapingtheBottom

Nuke said:
Does anyone know anything about Antigenic drift in influenza viruses??

Isn't that something to do with natural mutations in the Antigens present on the virion surface? I think it's cause by ribosomal errors in virus assembly. Basically the virus is reproducing at such a fast rate that you get errors when the proteins are being built. These errors cause the antigen sites to change conformation - thus making them unrecognisable by your immune system. Hence why flu is always one step ahead!!

Something like that anyway.

2nd man down

Staff member
ScrapingtheBottom said:
Nuke said:
Does anyone know anything about Antigenic drift in influenza viruses??

Isn't that something to do with natural mutations in the Antigens present on the virion surface? I think it's cause by ribosomal errors in virus assembly. Basically the virus is reproducing at such a fast rate that you get errors when the proteins are being built. These errors cause the antigen sites to change conformation - thus making them unrecognisable by your immune system. Hence why flu is always one step ahead!!

Something like that anyway.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Nuke

Cheers my exams tommorow so that should help
Especially Naruco those sites are good. i couldnt understand the notes me lecturer had done or what id written on them (maybe i should have re read them before now)

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.