Jazz Music Question

TIMBONE

I heard a song the other day in a card shop. All the music was a selection of mainstream big band. I asked the lady behind the counter what it was, and she didn't know, it was a CD the proprieter had put in the system. Now, I will try to explain it. The singer sounded like a trained soprano, but she was totally on the ball as far as singing jazz is concerned. This was obviously contemporary. The bit that stood out to me was when she was doing arpeggio work with the band. I know that there are some very knowledgable jazz musicians here, any idea who this is?

TIMBONE

Thanks for that. I'm not sure whether it is her or not, although she sounded familiar. The song I heard was quite up-tempo, and the singer was doing these very controlled arpeggios up to high notes, an element of comedy. This particular song wasn't sampled on the website. Having said that, thanks anyway, I may well order this CD - it has a favourite of mine, "Here's that Rainy Day".

brassneck

Tim, is it one of the young breed of new jazz singers that's about ... such as Cassandra Wilson?? (Here's That Rainy Day is an unlikely standard for her but ... who knows!). Any idea of the name of the song?

andywooler

Supporting Member
Or possibly Liane Carroll? (http://www.lianecarroll.co.uk/)
Worth listening to even if it wasn't - there's some short clips on her site.

Liane played keyboards in a big band I was in many years ago when she was first starting - nice to see her progression since then.

brassneck

I thought it might be Madeleine Peyroux, but couldn't find a link to the other song! :dunno

post edit:- leading me on to a wild goose chase here! (.. just realised the van Heusen song was for the other suggestion).

- we need more information Tim ... Dee Dee Bridgewater is another name who is capable of high range arpeggio work. Is the singer well known? (Kate Melua, Nora Jones, Silje Nergaard, Diana Krall, Anita Baker, Sidsel Endresen etc.)

Last edited:

TIMBONE

Thanks Andy, no, it's not Liane. Brassneck, I'm afraid I don't know the name of the song. I suppose it could be anyone. It is just that it stood out to me because of the almost operatic nature of the voice, yet not like an opera singer trying to sing jazz style.