Is your uniform pants or what??

How do you feel in your uniform

• Total voters

2nd man down

Staff member
Don't know if this topic has been covered before but does your uniform make you feel like the dogs preverbials or do you wish they'd change it for a couple of bin liners and some old string just to add a touch of class??

At Emley we got completely new uniforms a couple of years ago and personally I feel very good in mine, I think it looks very classic and tidy..Black full length jacket with turquoise lapels and cuffs finished with gold braid on the cuffs and epelets, but some of the uniforms you see around (and particularly the one we changed from) just make you have to suppress the gagging reflex!

sparkling_quavers

Flixton wear plain black jackets and ties and I think that it looks alot better than some of the band jackets I have had to wear before :shock:

Moy

Hate traditional Brass Band uniforms but stuck with it I'm afraid.
Wish bands would get more up-to-date. :cry:
In my dreams I suppose.

flugelgal

Maybe we'll get those walking out jackets soon Moy.. I like those - straight tie and no gold braid :D

K

bassinthebathroom

Black DJ's with Red bowties at EYMS. Looks OK, but you don't really feel like a Brass Band, more like a Brass Ensemble (if that makes any sense?) We have a walking out uniform (Black blazers with EYMS logo on the left breast pocket, and burgundy EYMS ties with Charcoal trousers. (as pictured!)
At St Austell, I used to have to wear Purple with gold braid band jackets (nearly exactly the same as the Brighouse ones) and we had Navy Blue walking out jackets with Black St. Austell band ties. Was good, but some of the Purple jackets were a bit faded, wheras others were newer.

Baldeagle

Carlton Brass have just taken delivery of a complete new set of jackets,trousers, shirts and ties.This new uniform replaces the blazers which are now our walking out and parade uniform. Also we took deliver of new polo shirts for our leisure wear. They were all made by a local tailor at a price that left Handley's standing way behind.

cornetgirl

I rather like ours - very fetching and not LOUD! All I need is a dress jacket that fits better - I could be pregnant with triplets in it and I doubt anyone would notice!

Rach x

Keppler

Staff member
are you trying to tell us something CG? ;)

Navy blazer and royal blue tie for us. None of this stripe or braid or garish cuffs/lapels for us...

flugelgal

Keppler said:
Navy blazer and royal blue tie for us. None of this stripe or braid or garish cuffs/lapels for us...

Sounds lovely... are you looking for a flugel player perchance?

*hides from Granite City people*

K

Trigger

My band wear bright yellow jackets!! They are good quality jackets, but they're yellow!! :roll: Nuff said I think. :wink:

Trigger said:
My band wear bright yellow jackets!! They are good quality jackets, but they're yellow!! :roll: Nuff said I think. :wink:

I thought that the Cosham bright blue jackets were pretty frightening until I saw Solent for the first time!! At least they're distinctive :wink:

akwarose

we have royal blue (not sure if its really the right shade, but its close enuff i guess) jackets with the band emblem (a windmill :D) on the breast pocket. it looks really nice. blue ties or black dickie bows, depending on the occasion for the gents, blue or black ties for the ladies, again dependin on the occasion. i love our uniform, simple and nice :)

Trigger

Sam Atherton said:
Trigger said:

I thought that the Cosham bright blue jackets were pretty frightening until I saw Solent for the first time!! At least they're distinctive :wink:

Distinctive is one word for them :lol: :lol: No they're alright really. I mean I'm proud to be in my band and everything. Would just prefer to be in a sensible red or blue band or something. Still it wouldn't be Solent if we didn't have yellow jackets. :wink:

Jezzabell

We have black, red n gold at our band (st dennis), red polo shirts for those hot sunny days, n navy blue walkin out jackets! Tho the prob comes when we have different ties for different things! dicky bow for sit down evenin concerts or formal engagements, straight black tie for marching and afternoon enagements,n a blue tie 2 go wif walkin out jackets! ITS MAD!

Lisa

We have really heavy grey jackets with silver bits on which, in my opinion, is really really dull! Luckily we might be getting new ones soon though. :D
I think deep blue, deep purple or black would be good!

Okiedokie of Oz

I honestly don't know what's so special about Black and white with black coats. It rather plain. Even Cap silver had black and white with a Blue and black coat and that didn't do much for me either.

Gladstone used to have the full blue pants with the yellow stripe, epaulettes, tie AND TIE BAR, 2 hats (the cap which I love, and the Akubra) and a nice grey coat witht he council Coat of Arms.

The new uniform, while exactly the same in principal, doesn't have the same appeal to me as the old one. Pants are now navy, which isn't so bad. Tie has been replaces for an official Council one instead of the plain blue one, and as such, the tiebar looks hideous with it. Epaulettes are still there on the blue drill shirt, but the hats have been replaces with a nice straw "panama" style (almost). OK, as a teacher I am all for being sun Smart, but the hat just losses the effect!! Now the comittee (new one to that which organised the new uniform and blew $8000 on it) is talking about keeping on using the caps. Hello!!! THEY ARE COVERED WITH SWEAT STAINS!!!!

I feel a uniform should be somehting to be proud of. If I wear black and white to every music function I do, how does that make my black and blue Cap Silver uniform seem special?

I admit, there is a point where you have to stop. A band called Sunnybank, down near Brisbane, changed their marching uniform a few years back to somethink like an old colonial soldiers uniform, or an American Marching Band uniform, complete with the tall hats!! But my point is make a uniform something to be respected, not something you can go and buy at any nice tailor!!