Is there life after Arban?

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
on_castors said:
Not only can you buy them, your can get them online as a freebie, well a lot of the pages anyway!http://arban.bearteam.org/

From this site:

Since Arban died in 1889, there should be no copyright problem.

This is NOT necessarily the case. Copyright may be renewed and may be under the ownership of the Estate or Publishers and this statement shows a fundamental misunderstanding of Copyright Law.

on_castors

Copyright problems.... you could well be right, and I have noticed a few posts on here recently, and one or two posters seem to have a big issue with this.

However, let me break your dream and say that you and they, are under some strange misapprehension that anyone else gives a hoot! I am an exception to the general rule, I will say what I think, but the vast majority will do what everyone usually does... say nothing, and photocopy and download away without a second thought! Not necessarily the RIGHT thing, just real life. 99.9% of players KNOW that music is not to be photocopied or duplicated elsewhere, but whilst tut-tutting and nodding agreement when someone says this, they go away and run their photocopiers until they melt!

I don't know - next someone will suggest that speed cameras are for SAFETY purposes, or that politicians care. Who knows, it might just be cynical old me - maybe you DO get calls returned, and for you the cheque really IS in the post! :pig

Now the site I mentioned is a good way to have a good flick through, and decide on whether or not you would even WANT a copy of the Arban studies (Perhaps as someone has mentioned, you might want to be a player of florid Victorian solos?). I am not suggesting for ONE MINUTE that I or anyone else should spend hours downloading everything, and emptying 20 quid a time printer cartridges to end up with a loose leaf pile of stuff that won't fit on a stand! You could even try practising in front of a monitor... not recommended though - it is a very handy way to ram the mouthpiece down your throat, as I did once when I moved between cornet to trumpet one session!

No doubt also of suspect copyright status, so I had better warn those of a nervous disposition not to venture there; there is also a site belonging to a tmp contributor where he PLAYS the Arban studies:
http://www.webalice.it/anrapa/index.html

DaveR

Can opened, worms everywhere! :rolleyes:

To get this back somewhere on topic, a new copy of Arban would cost about £25 from any reputable music shop, and will last a lifetime!

Last edited:

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
DaveR said:
Can opened, worms everywhere! :rolleyes:

To get this back somewhere on topic, a new copy of Arban would cost about £25 from any reputable music shop, and will last a lifetime!

I paid £11 for mine :eek:

Copyright problems.... you could well be right, and I have noticed a few posts on here recently, and one or two posters seem to have a big issue with this.

And for good reason - there are actually people who try and make a living out of this you know. Be aware that it's also against tMP's T&C to promote material of an illegal nature. Hark at me - I sound like a mod!

The MP3 site is most likely illegal under UK law and is already under discussion.

Last edited:

DaveR

KMJ Recordings said:
I paid £11 for mine :eek:
Maybe it is cheaper from disreputable music shops? :biggrin:

Sounds like you got a bargain - or you bought it a while ago!

SuperMosh

on_castors said:

However, let me break your dream and say that you and they, are under some strange misapprehension that anyone else gives a hoot! I am an exception to the general rule, I will say what I think, but the vast majority will do what everyone usually does... say nothing, and photocopy and download away without a second thought! Not necessarily the RIGHT thing, just real life. 99.9% of players KNOW that music is not to be photocopied or duplicated elsewhere, but whilst tut-tutting and nodding agreement when someone says this, they go away and run their photocopiers until they melt!

I don't know - next someone will suggest that speed cameras are for SAFETY purposes, or that politicians care. Who knows, it might just be cynical old me - maybe you DO get calls returned, and for you the cheque really IS in the post! :pig .......
No doubt also of suspect copyright status, so I had better warn those of a nervous disposition not to venture there; there is also a site belonging to a tmp contributor where he PLAYS the Arban studies:
http://www.webalice.it/anrapa/index.html

Sorry but I am bored with this style of 'hey we are crazy kids and we can do what we like'. It smacks of Rik off of the Young Ones and is tedious.

Most of us know the legalities involved and when looking to purchase an Arban, sheet music or such like, we go to a shop. We do this because:

a - it supports these businesses which ultimately support the brass bands
b - it is the right thing to do

I am sure, unlike myself, there are some who are overjoyed that such places exist to get free stuff and shady downloads. Please keep this information to yourself or publicise it somewhere else.

Blimey - Supermosh going all Hetty Wainthrop.

Last edited:

BrianT

DaveR said:
...and will last a lifetime!
Bought mine in 1974 - still going strong. I've had to reglue the spine a couple of times. Probably someone will post saying they've worn theirs out (through hefty practice) and had to buy a new one...

DaveR

BrianT said:
Bought mine in 1974 - still going strong. I've had to reglue the spine a couple of times. Probably someone will post saying they've worn theirs out (through hefty practice) and had to buy a new one...

I rest my case. I was born in 1974, so it has lasted a lifetime! :biggrin: :tongue:

Hi, I use these books

James Stamp- Warm-ups and Studies

Rolf Quinque- Methode

Allen Vizzuti- books 1 and 2

Herbert Clarke- Technical Studies

Dr Charles Colin- Advanced Lip Flexibilites

I use the arban too for scale studies.
I wouldn't say its essential that you have them all but each one is good for certain aspects.

Bass Trumpet

If you can play every note in the Arban, to the correct tempo, correct dynamics, nice sound and with style, get in touch with the London Symphony Orchestra. Maurice Murphy's old job has just been advertised!

Bass Trumpet

MissBraz said:
This is probably a stupid question but can you sill buy the arben now?! And if you can where can i get one ;)

Just remembered! Slightly off topic, sorry, but if you are going to France in the near future, or know someone who is, try and get hold of the French version. Arban's tutor was originally written in three volumes and the Boosey and Hawkes version only has volumes 1 and 3 covered. I have seen a copy of the full Arban and it has lots of great studies leading up to the famous '14'. Makes sense, I suppose, as I've always felt that there was a big gap between the preliminary stuff and the 14 studies/concert solos.

Bass Trumpet said:
If you can play every note in the Arban, to the correct tempo, correct dynamics, nice sound and with style, get in touch with the London Symphony Orchestra. Maurice Murphy's old job has just been advertised!

You are seriously overrating me there :clap:

ian perks

Kiz7 said:
I'd go back to the beginning and start again! Always something new to learn in the Arban - even if it's just taking the tempo up (or down if necessary) on a particular study. Have you played every single exercise to the best of your ability?
For me thats the best bit of advice ive seen about the Arban.
It is a book that as stood the test of time and will still stand the test of time for many Decades to come

ian perks

Bass Trumpet said:
I have seen a copy of the full Arban and it has lots of great studies leading up to the famous '14'. Makes sense, I suppose, as I've always felt that there was a big gap between the preliminary stuff and the 14 studies/concert solos.
I have got the FULL ARBAN its Brilliant:clap:

Seth

If you get to the end of the Arban and you can play them all then you must be a pretty good player. As suggested earlier, try playing them faster, up/down an octave etc. or even turn the book upside down and play the solos/studies, you then have brand new tunes to go at!

Product tMP members are discussing