Is it ok to rehearse a brass quintet outside?

John Brooks

I believe any rehearsal, inside or outside and with a group of any size, will be dependent on your location. I live in Ontario and to my knowledge, any inside activity is not allowed here but physically distanced groups allowed outside. The fantastic concert last week with Manger and Eikanger suggests Norway is further advanced than here. It will be interesting to see if anyone else responds.

2nd tenor

The rules within the U.K. change over time, change between the ‘home nations’ and they can also change depending upon where you live within them (some of the northern England Cities have local local-downs). If a small group happened to have access to an open air area where they could socially distance and wouldn’t be noticeably heard by neighbours then it’s probably fine (both low risk and legal) to have a blow. Brass Band England might have some guidance on their web-site.

John Morton

I'm sure you're all sensible people who don't want to die so find somewhere you can all spread out where no one will 'twit' on you and have a blow. Rules are meant to be broken (Admiral Lord Nelson was promoted because he put the telescope to his blind eye). Britain is about to do break international law to avoid being deliberately cornered by the EU but I don't wish to get on to that subject here.

2nd tenor

Personally I echo John’s thoughts above.

The film Pirates of the Caribbean has a particular line that comes to mind: “the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules”. I’m not one to slavishly follow rules, I won’t flout them but from time to time they get ignored or bent using a dose of logic and discretion. Indeed there’s always a time to break rules and as a country the population have done so on mass in the past to achieve a positive result, laws must be just.

As for the CV ‘laws’, well I won’t encourage anyone to break them and people have to take responsibility for their own actions. However I struggle to believe that the Police will have any interest in what some small group of Bandsmen are discretely up to (these laws are intended for moderate and large groups in metropolitan areas who aren’t social distancing and/or otherwise acting responsibly) and recon that it’s easy enough to keep making music in groups of six.

Last edited:

John Brooks

This illustrates how it is a moving target, both within individual countries and from one country to another.

KenIrvin

This illustrates how it is a moving target, both within individual countries and from one country to another.
Quite true. I read today that in Wales we can have an outdoor gathering of up to 30 people. Also exemptions are allowed for protests. So perhaps we should have a practice protesting about the political nonsensity that this government is practising