Is it me or does no one post here anymore?

Jack E

As a 'leftie' born in 1962 I consider myself very lucky that no one ever tried to make me use my right hand as the dominant, although I know there were some people of my age that were made to change. For some reason though playing a valved instrument with my right hand has never felt wrong. I guess that as there was no alternative for me I just got on with it.
It's very odd that I've never had any problems playing brass right handed - yet with fretted instruments, I immediately notice the difference, and it's a massive difference, too. For all the research and advances we've made in understanding how our minds and brains work, I suspect that - as yet - we've barely scratched the surface.

GordonH

I didn't decide on being left or right handed and my school decided I should be right handed. If I have problems playing a difficult technical passage on the cornet I find I can learn it easier by playing left handed! I was originally a French Horn player which is left handed, because the right hand was used for stopping.

John Brooks

As a 'leftie' born in 1962 I consider myself very lucky that no one ever tried to make me use my right hand as the dominant, although I know there were some people of my age that were made to change. For some reason though playing a valved instrument with my right hand has never felt wrong. I guess that as there was no alternative for me I just got on with it.
I'm a "lefty" as well, born in 1945. I well remember having my knuckles rapped with a wooden ruler in school for writing left-handed......the teacher's name was James Forrest and I never forgot him!! That said, I continued to write with my left hand and also learned to play cornet right handed which, as you said "Never felt wrong".

John Brooks

It's very odd that I've never had any problems playing brass right handed - yet with fretted instruments, I immediately notice the difference, and it's a massive difference, too. For all the research and advances we've made in understanding how our minds and brains work, I suspect that - as yet - we've barely scratched the surface.
Ah, but do we scratch the surface with our left hand or our right Jack - lol.

BrianSA

Anything happening in bands these days?

I'm a member of three bands. Two SA neither of which are meeting or playing at present and a 2nd section competing band. The latter has over 100 members spread through beginners, training, ensemble and senior band. Training band has had a few Zoom rehearsals and senior band has held four outside sessions each comprising of five players. Enthusiasm does seem to be waning. A wind band I occasionally dep with has done some outside performances. An amateur orchestra are hoping to commence rehearsals in a school hall in October but ... 'guidance' changes all the time so who knows.