Is it all nonsense??

Dave Payn

VenusTromster said:
Dave Payn said:
Trouble is, I get the impression (I'll probably be shouted down for saying this, but hey-ho!) that there's an element in this particular thread of 'I'm in a top section band so the rest of you can't possibly know what you're talking about'. It is an attitude (sadly) I've come across before (though I hasten to add it's from a minority)

Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool. In the meantime the rest of us can get on with passing and receiving bits of information so useless that they will no doubt inhibit our playing and musicianship further.

Sorry, but this needed to be said!

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that because people were in top section bands that they think players from lower sections (using terms lightly) don't know what they are talking about when questions are raised about playing techniques.

Its not that I find posts boring and unimportant, just wanted to rasie an issue that I thought myself was important.

It's good to see the topic being discussed and to see the mixture of responses, but please remember its meaning.

Cheers

No, YOU didn't intend or mean that, but I wasn't the only one to misconstrue the threads' meaning. It went from 'helpful suggestions' to 'masterclasses' to 'boring'. It's what I reacted, with the benefit of hindsight, too rashly against, as I've already admitted.

VenusTromster said:
I certainly didn't mean to suggest that because people were in top section bands that they think players from lower sections (using terms lightly) don't know what they are talking about when questions are raised about playing techniques.

Its not that I find posts boring and unimportant, just wanted to rasie an issue that I thought myself was important.

It's good to see the topic being discussed and to see the mixture of responses, but please remember its meaning.

Cheers
Dave Payn said:
No, YOU didn't intend or mean that, but I wasn't the only one to misconstrue the threads' meaning. It went from 'helpful suggestions' to 'masterclasses' to 'boring'. It's what I reacted, with the benefit of hindsight, too rashly against, as I've already admitted.

Fair point, it has lost a bit of its meaning along the way, but then it wouldn't be a true tMP topic if that didn't happen! :wink:

Keppler

Staff member
emm.. point taken Venus..

a belated "back-on-original-intention-of-topic" please..
;)

To return myself.. no, I don't believe it's all nonsense. You must remember that there are those of us with restricted or little access to brass resources, and while static references can help a little, it's only by asking people in the know that we gain an indication of the feelings (for and against) opinions, and alternatives for a different subject.

Taking any of the technique orientated threads as an example, it's true to say there were umpteen different recommendations made, some conflicting. It's still an aweful lot more information that I potentially had access to at the beginning, and the strength is that I can pm any contributor to ask why he or she formed that opinion..

Variety is good people, IMO.
Plus most of us have fun aswell..

geordiecolin

In my experience regarding advice on here;

1) If its given to you from a number of source, there's a chance it's good advice.

2) Look at signatures for "credentials" - perhaps elitist I know, but in online situations it is hard to determine how reliable sources are. This, along with knowledge of "online character" can help to whittle down advice.

Re: Elitist top section bands.... I think tmp excels in NOT having such a problem. In fact I think its quite the opposite, developing relationships :shock: :? between the "top bands" and the rest of us.

Vickitorious

The circular breathing topic worked for me! I mastered it in 3 days and now it cool! cheers guys!
The advice goven to me about braces was also very helpful! So no , I don't think its nonscence 8) :D

amgray

geordiecolin said:
....2) Look at signatures for "credentials" - perhaps elitist I know, but in online situations it is hard to determine how reliable sources are....

Not everone want to post "credentials" in their signature. This, I feel, would lead to a more elitist attitude and pecking order in posts.

You can get people with very similar backgrounds and levels of experience who have different views on many aspects of playing - look at a previous thread on Wet v. Dry embouchures for examples
I still think that if dodgy advice is (apparently) given, it will be corrected fairly quickly by other tMPers.

If anyone wants to know my credentials feel free to PM me - and I can quote sources and reasons for any opinions I opine :shock:

Seedhouse

Hmm, I post on this forum because I know that I will get assorted advice that I can try to help sort out my problems. :roll:
I then personally decide which work for me, and which don't. So I can analyse which advice to take. All advice on this forum has been highly helpful to me in it's own way. :roll: If it doesn't help you, ignore it, why grumble about it!? :?

Seedhouse said:
:roll: If it doesn't help you, ignore it, why grumble about it!? :?

I'm not personally grumbling about it, just wanted to know what people thought, as i said in my original statement! Think you may have slightly missed the point of the topic.

Seedhouse

Sorry, my post wasn't directed at you! Just generally to people who say think stuff in "blah blah" thread was highly unhelpful and i'm going to post and complain!

Product tMP members are discussing