Is it all nonsense??

Toby

Member
There may be view points that could be considered wrong by some. However, the great feature of this forum (IMHO) is the wide range of abilities of the members. As the vast majority of views are formed from personal experience, this opens the possibility of being reminded of some aspect that is taken for granted or long forgotten.
 

iggmeister

Member
I tend to try to read all of the comments on topics that I think will interest me. If you don't agree with what Billy-Bob Bunter says then say so.

I appreciate that there is a trade off in that people will take offence if their comments are scrutinised but the Mods will no doubt come in to protect those people if they feel they are being riddiculed or unfairly victimised.

My opinion is if you dont like it, either ignore it or challenge it. If you are convinced you are right then prove it! If you feel that certain advice will harm people who may put it into action then say so.

Igg
 

WoodenFlugel

Moderator
Staff member
[GJG wrote:]Are you implying that there are some people who come home from the pub after a few pints and proceed to contribute unhelpful posts to this forum? I'm afraid I resemble that remark!
[/quote]

...no...no....no I wasn't ...I was just saying.....I just meant that if you ask people...... in the pub....oh hang on now I've re-read it.....[keep digging Ian, Australia beckons!!]

Is this a record - 3 posts and I've offended someone already!!?? :wink: :lol: :oops:

Ian :oops:
 

Steve

Active Member
Its the same as sitting round a table in the pub after rehearsal and asking a question. Not everyone is going to agree on the same point and that is how you learn a different viewpoint or pick up a bit of useful information. Of course everyone is going to have their own way of doing things and I think if just one of the hundereds of post helps someone along the way then all well and good!
 

BottyBurp

Member
Despot said:
At the end of the day the site contains peoples personal opinions and not quantifiable fact, or a guarantee the person actually knows what they are talking about!

In fact, just like contest adjudication! :wink:
 

WoodenFlugel

Moderator
Staff member
Steve21 said:
Its the same as sitting round a table in the pub after rehearsal and asking a question. Not everyone is going to agree on the same point and that is how you learn a different viewpoint or pick up a bit of useful information. Of course everyone is going to have their own way of doing things and I think if just one of the hundereds of post helps someone along the way then all well and good!

Well said Steve! Thats what I was trying to say before.

Big up the Leicester massive!!! (or something......)
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
blue_smarties said:
baritone impresario said:
i read some posts and feel like getting some hose connecting it to the car and killing myself some of it is so unimportant.
Surely there's no need to go THAT far nick!! :? :)

Quite. Very, very, sad!!
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Trouble is, I get the impression (I'll probably be shouted down for saying this, but hey-ho!) that there's an element in this particular thread of 'I'm in a top section band so the rest of you can't possibly know what you're talking about'. It is an attitude (sadly) I've come across before (though I hasten to add it's from a minority)

Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool. In the meantime the rest of us can get on with passing and receiving bits of information so useless that they will no doubt inhibit our playing and musicianship further.

Sorry, but this needed to be said!
 

Bob Sherunkle

Active Member
Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool

Quite right Dave. I've just read your message and am off to have a log out.

Bye for now

Bob (Only moderated once today by the thought police)

Edit: Make that four times. Dyl.
 

Maestro

Active Member
Bob Sherunkle said:
Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool

...So is the 'quote' button, in case you want to quote someone :wink: :twisted: :wink:
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Bob Sherunkle said:
Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool

Quite right Dave. I've just read your message and am off to have a log out.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Hope you remembered the toilet roll.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Maestro said:
Bob Sherunkle said:
Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool

...So is the 'quote' button, in case you want to quote someone :wink: :twisted: :wink:

Don't confuse the poor fella, one step at a time, eh? His brain regularly gets weighed down with those pearls, you see.
 
Dave - I wasn't going to bother rising to your comments but for everyone else, no-one at Frickley has the attitude that just because we are a top section band, the rest don't know what they are talking about. Sorry but that is ridiculous and you haven't taken the original thread for its true meaning!! Sections don't come into it.
 

Dave Payn

Active Member
Kirsty Abbotts said:
Dave - I wasn't going to bother rising to your comments but for everyone else, no-one at Frickley has the attitude that just because we are a top section band, the rest don't know what they are talking about. Sorry but that is ridiculous and you haven't taken the original thread for its true meaning!! Sections don't come into it.

Please accept my humble apologies Kirsty. Whilst it's not a case of 'my remarks were taken out of context' there are some here on these boards (NOT from Carlton Main) and some I've met from top section bands who I felt, genuinely HAVE had that attitude. However, I accept I foolishy used 'top section bands' in a sweeping generalisation when there was no justification for doing so. However, I stick by my suggestion that if people find posts boring/useless, then clicking the log out button is the best answer. If I ever get to feeling like that (I sincerely doubt it on this forum!) I'll do exactly the same.

Humble apologies again.

Regards.
 
Dave Payn said:
Trouble is, I get the impression (I'll probably be shouted down for saying this, but hey-ho!) that there's an element in this particular thread of 'I'm in a top section band so the rest of you can't possibly know what you're talking about'. It is an attitude (sadly) I've come across before (though I hasten to add it's from a minority)

Thing is, if the posts are that boring and unimportant.... the log out button's quite a useful tool. In the meantime the rest of us can get on with passing and receiving bits of information so useless that they will no doubt inhibit our playing and musicianship further.

Sorry, but this needed to be said!

I certainly didn't mean to suggest that because people were in top section bands that they think players from lower sections (using terms lightly) don't know what they are talking about when questions are raised about playing techniques.

Its not that I find posts boring and unimportant, just wanted to rasie an issue that I thought myself was important.

It's good to see the topic being discussed and to see the mixture of responses, but please remember its meaning.

Cheers
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top