Is astrology a girl thing???????

BottyBurp

Absolute load of twaddle IMO...

Taurus - allegedly a typical one, you know, loveable, loyal faithful, cute etc.... :lol:

flugelgal

I'm pretty skeptical about these things.. but someone did my chart for me based on time and date and place of birth. It's pretty accurate so I'm not sure...

Kirsty

Pythagoras

Absolute rubbish. Any similarities between a prediction and an event or a characteristic of a star sign and a characteristic of a person are purely coincidence or auto suggestion.

Anybody who reads their horoscopes is guilty of spreading the tack further.

bruceg

If it makes someone feel better or even just gives them a giggle then where's the harm in that?

BigHorn

James McFadyen said:
I totally believe in astrology!

I too am a gemini, the best of the lot! ;)

Gemini's are so the best, we're charming, fuuny, loveable, chatty and good conversationalists! Although the split personality is not quite an attractive!

U've got to love us! :wink:

Other Famous Geminis

The Yorkshire Ripper
Marqui de Sadre
Prince Philip
George Bush

And worst of all Jamie Oliver :shock:

Yes we just got to love you.....

Astrology what a load of *&^%$

The Cornet King

James McFadyen said:

Gemini's are so the best, we're charming, fuuny, loveable, chatty and good conversationalists! Although the split personality is not quite an attractive!

I'll agree with that James!! Can't beat us Gemini's.
However, i personally believe astrology is a load of old cobblers. Can provide some mild amusement from time to time though! :D

:wink:

MoominDave

bruceg said:
If it makes someone feel better or even just gives them a giggle then where's the harm in that?

A bit like religion, then? Oops, did I say that? :twisted:

That's all very well in principle, but only a year or two ago, New Scientist came across a brochure for a college (in Milton Keynes I think) advertising a course in Astrology under its 'Science' heading. Spot the difference:

Science : you start by observing things around you, trying to find patterns in them. Having found a pattern, you test it in all possible ways. If it doesn't work, you abandon it and find a better pattern. There is no room in Science for things that don't fit observations, by definition.

Astrology : you start by taking a set of rules that somebody arbitrarily made up a very long time ago (does anybody know exactly when, by the way? Was it the Zoroastrians?), and that were derived by a quite unknown method, and, moreover, do not even fit the stars as they are today, and make wild generalisations about huge sections of the population in language designed to be ambiguous and to allow as many people as possible to identify with. This is not Science, it is Art - the Art of telling people what they want to hear. Astrology is just a method for making these "predictions" interesting. Astrology is full of things that don't fit observations, by definition.

I know nobody here has explicitly made this mistake yet, but if a college of further education can be so deluded, surely many others who believe in it must also be?

Dave

Cornishwomble

I don't know if anyone remembers a programme on Channel 4 a couple of years ago with Dave Gorman.
He basically did an experiment where he took all of the horoscopes in the national newspapers everyday for a couple of weeks and tried to follow them all.
So for instance one day if it said he would be going on a long trip he would go off on a long trip, but if another horoscope said that he would be doing his house up , he had to do that too on the same day, and if another said that red was his lucky colour then yep, that was the colour of paint used in the house!
As you can imagine at the end of the experiment he was knackered stressed and definately left an unbeliever!!!!

Soppy

I usually glance at mine at the end of the day, and they're nearly always total rubbish, although once or twice they've been so close it's scary!! But really, it's just somebody writing down something totally random. If you were to look at several newspapers for example for one day, none of them would say the same!

I'm Capricorn btw. Seems like I'm the only one atm!

twigglet said:
Dawnys_flug said:
I'm one of those ones whose birthday falls on a cross-over between Aries and Taurus so according to some i'm one and the others i'm the other!! :D

Ooooo me too! April 22nd. Not sure what the characteristics of these star signs are though to see which I am more like. Dawnys_flug, can you help me ?

Mines on April 20th!
Hmmm.......... well i know that one characteristic of aries is that we have venus in our sign or something along those lines :? and that makes us beautiful!!! :D :D
I'll have to do more searching bout Taurus but the beatuiful thing is a strong point to aries!! :lol:

Jo Elson

well i always read my signs in the newspaper and magazines, i'm not really into them and they are never right half the time but when they are i think 'oh wow' and i have to admit i did buy a lottery ticket today because it said i would win with lottery numbers which meant something to me! I'll let you know if i win!

groovy

I'm Libra, and I seem to fit the personality type quite well - but although I always read my horoscope I never "believe" it - its a load of rubbish.

Chunky

I'm Aquarius for what its worth. Might read them in the paper if they were anywhere near the sports pages!

stephen2001

I'm a Leo.
If I get a paper, I read them at the end of the day and see how well it matches with how the day has gone!!!

Dave Payn

James McFadyen said:
I totally believe in astrology!

And modest?..... :)

twigglet

For Dawny...

Practical, reliable Taurus, with an endurance level above average! Taurus is a productive individual with a deep desire for security, but also a strong materialistic attitude. Having evolved from Aries, Taurus has learnt to curb his ego, being aware that to strive hard and complete those arduous tasks is to achieve something of value. Venus, the adoptive parent, influences harmonic energy, bringing forth a perseverance beyond the reach of the normal human psyche. In its negative aspect, Taurus can be obstinate, opinionated, and self-centred.

Aries is renowned for impulsiveness, assertion and restlessness. An Aries is always willing to undertake new adventures, epecially where daredevil risk is involved. Due to their Œme first¹ attitude, Aries can come across as selfish at times. This attitude is no doubt due to their ruling planet, Mars, which is dynamic, strong and fearless. Aries is the sign which shows no inhibition when it comes to challenge, and their hyperactive nature and driving energy make them a force to be reckoned with. Their frank and direct attitude often lead them into trouble, but their quick–thinking and quick–wittedness can also save the day.

Hmmm still not too sure which one I am, think maybe slightly more Taurus!

Product tMP members are discussing