Invitation for tMP members to vote for your favorite tMP logo

Which logo do you prefer the most?

• 9 - Keep the existing logo

Results are only viewable after voting.

tMP Paul

Administrator
Staff member
How is this? I'm not sure but think it was easier for the designer to style a cornet.

Attachments

• tmp_rev.png
    tmp_rev.png
    100 KB · Views: 599

Accidental

Supporting Member
now it looks like a deformed cornet instead of a deformed flugel, lol.
How hard is it to copy a picture of a real instrument?

Ianroberts

Just keep the bloody logo that's on now ! you tried all sorts and people have told you they don't like them, they have even told you they look nothing like Brass band instruments.

If it aint broke then don't try to fix it as you will probably end up breaking it beyond recognition.

tMP Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ianroberts, I've explained the reasons for the new logo, and taking into account time and activity on the board, most votes opted for a new logo. I don't think that we will break the logo beyond recognition if we can work together on it. By no means am I asking you to do this; however, I believe that (usually) things get better when we work together on them.

Apologies for the stretched cornet. The designer said she traced an outline from a Google search. She's graciously offered to give it another go. If anyone would like to help by offering an image of an instrument that we can use in place of the previous-trumpet-current-stretched-cornet, I would greatly appreciate it – I'll offer that to her to trace and add into the logo.

Thanks!

MoominDave

You're working hard trying to please people here, Paul!

Here's some suggestions, in ascending size order:

Soprano Cornet
Cornet
Flugelhorn
Tenor Horn
Baritone
Tenor Trombone
Bass Trombone
Euphonium
Eb Bass
BBb Bass

Of course we have percussion too, valued and integral members of the ensemble - but the group is defined by the brass component, and so I think a percussion instrument wouldn't be quite what you're after.

And some suggestions of things to avoid:
French horn (brass, but not used in a brass band), trumpet of any size (ditto), cornets that look a bit like trumpets (okay on paper, but see people objecting above), saxophones (not brass at all, would make us look rather silly to be represented by one, and would confuse newcomers), other brass instruments from other traditions (e.g. marching band tubas or German oval baritons). Basically, the idea of using an instrument that's brass band specific has a lot of merit. Soprano cornet, tenor horn, baritone, and BBb bass are used pretty much nowhere else other than in British-style brass banding, and offer probably the strongest 'brand recognition' job.

A tip for turning up brass band style versions of instruments - append the word "Sovereign" to your image search. This is a very popular (pretty much the default) brand of instrument within brass bands, and will turn up lots of results that look familiar to bandspeople.

Last edited:

tMP Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Updated version w/ a soprano cornet:

tmp_rev2.png

Depending on the cost, a complementary idea is to create icons for each of the instruments that @MoominDave listed, so that folks can choose what instrument they want as their avatar.

trumpetmike

Updated version w/ a soprano cornet:

View attachment 4623

Depending on the cost, a complementary idea is to create icons for each of the instruments that @MoominDave listed, so that folks can choose what instrument they want as their avatar.

For those of us who normally play instruments outside of the brass band world (as my name suggests, I'm a trumpeter first and foremost) but dabble in the brass bands occasionally, would we be able to get a *speaks quietly* trumpet?

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Much better, Paul!

As to the icon/avatar thing, what of those of us who play more than one instrument? Let's work on the K.I.S.S. principle!

tMP Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Much better, Paul!

As to the icon/avatar thing, what of those of us who play more than one instrument? Let's work on the K.I.S.S. principle!

Good point, @mikelyons. I'll ask the designer to finalize the most recent design and files, and I'll update the site logo and favicon once she's done. Thank you everyone!

DocFox

I like the rusty kind of "throwback" look of option 2.

And, I have worked in my past as a graphic designer and would be glad to help make icons for free if needed.

Euphman2

Please go back to the "proper" logo. The one used at present is indistinct. Why change something that ain 't broken?