Inappropriate (yet funny) music?

drums4monty

Member
When I was in the Forces we did a concert for a school with learning difficulties. The bandmaster made the announcement "We would now like to play a tune from the Jungle Book . . . I want to be like you" Now thats embarrassing.
 

Borfeo

Member
Most scary numbers while doing a Xmas concert was in Carstairs Mental facility (Jail for the insane)

We kicked off with "The Muppet Show" then caused a bit of an uproar with "Born Free"

I was never so scared in all my life
 
We had an officer who always wanted to put a song with the tune 'Austria' on his programme every rememberance Sunday with a hall full of ex-servicemen, for those of you who don't know the tune Austria is the German national anthem.

Not on a banding point of view, a highly respected officer was conducting a non army funeral. the family had requested that Jerusalem be played from a CD at the funeral. The chap in charge of the CD player got confused with track numbers and gave a rousing rendition of The Dambusters March.

Good thread Paul!
 

Banana

Member
We once played Blaze Away at a cremation. However, it had been requested by the deceased (before he died!) who was a ex-member of the band with a rather robust sense of humour!
 

Lotta

Member
I played in our school band at a funeral.... we were early at the church and we did a little practice.... in came the coffin to Basin Street Blues... I'm ashamed to say that I don't know if people were crying with laughter at us or crying over Tom, the bloke in the box! :lol:
 

Jeff Lewis

New Member
When my wife (or some may say better half) - aka Strongbow played at Besses they performed a concert just after the terrorist attack in New York. Inappropriately, on the pragramme was - "Slaughter on 10th Avenue" !!!
 

Andy Stevens

New Member
When I played with City of Sheffield Youth we proudly belted out "Born Free" in Bruges Zoo once, right next to some rather small and cruel monkey cages.

The monkeys seemed to enjoy it. Mind you, they looked a darn sight more intelligent than the zookeepers who were lounging around at the time.
 

Anglo Music Press

Well-Known Member
When Fred Astaire died a BBC Scottish local radio station decided to mark the event by playing 'Cheek to Cheek'.

First line: 'Heaven, I'm in Heaven.....' :oops:
 

asteria

Member
Not long after September 11th a band I know was on tour in America and did some concerts in New York state. The conductor announced one of the pieces as a dedication to all those who died in the terror attacks and brought out the bright & breezy Manhattan Skyline!!! :shock:

I can't think of anything less appropriate, truly cringeworthy!

Same conductor also regularly brings out the patriotic war-film type stuff on tour in Luxembourg and Germany, i'm surprised there hasn't been an international outcry!
 

Lauradoll

Active Member
Helen V said:
i'm surprised there hasn't been an international outcry!

I'm surprised there wasn't an outcry at our version of Big Spender last night!!! The people of Manchester must have very tolerant ears!!!! It was highly inappropriate!!!
 
When I played for "the other band" here in aberdeen and we played the stripper at a the end of a church service. :twisted:

Also with the same band, we played slaughter on 10th Avenue three days after the twin towers disaster! (It was re-named as nightmare on 10th avenue for that day, but still...) :shock:
 

asteria

Member
Lauradoll said:
I'm surprised there wasn't an outcry at our version of Big Spender last night!!! The people of Manchester must have very tolerant ears!!!! It was highly inappropriate!!!

Actually i thought given the amount of money i spent it was very appropriate!!
 

Kilted-Cornet

New Member
ABERDEEN LOON said:
When I played for "the other band" here in aberdeen and we played the stripper at a the end of a church service. :twisted:

Also with the same band, we played slaughter on 10th Avenue three days after the twin towers disaster! (It was re-named as nightmare on 10th avenue for that day, but still...) :shock:

I remember it well!! We also played "My Heart Will Go On" from the film "Titanic" when we played at the Tall Ships Race in Dublin. Went down a storm (the piece, not the boats!)
 

Anglo Music Press

Well-Known Member
Just to be boring, I'm a great fan of the film Battle of Britain and Aces High is in fact a Luftwaffe March in the film, rather than an RAF one.

So its use in Germany is not THAT inappropriate. Just a bit of a reminder!!! :lol:
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
Anglo Music Press said:
Just to be boring, I'm a great fan of the film Battle of Britain and Aces High is in fact a Luftwaffe March in the film, rather than an RAF one.

So its use in Germany is not THAT inappropriate. Just a bit of a reminder!!! :lol:
The best faux pas came when we played it as the opening piece at the premiere of the Burt Lancaster film "Moses the Lawgiver" before the title "Aces High" was applied to it - probably a major factor in the change :shock: :oops: :lol:
 

Lauradoll

Active Member
Helen V said:
Lauradoll said:
I'm surprised there wasn't an outcry at our version of Big Spender last night!!! The people of Manchester must have very tolerant ears!!!! It was highly inappropriate!!!

Actually i thought given the amount of money i spent it was very appropriate!!

I'll agree with that. Ooooooops off topic sorry..............
 

Aidan

Active Member
Lauradoll said:
Helen V said:
i'm surprised there hasn't been an international outcry!

I'm surprised there wasn't an outcry at our version of Big Spender last night!!! The people of Manchester must have very tolerant ears!!!! It was highly inappropriate!!!
was that in footage? I think we'd lost you by then...
then again may be just as well..
 

Aidan

Active Member
all lies... !!! :oops: :!: :!: :!:
but yes.. boshage was in occurrance!! I blame the AUT for striking so I had no choice but to spend the whole day in the Pint Pot before we went out!!!!
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top