Impossible Mute Changes?

timbloke

Just had my first blow through coventry variations, and i was surprised, and a little scared by the impossibly short time allowed for getting mutes in, also the length of time needed to "hold" the mute in order for it to be ready. Also having just done Resurgam with a mute between my legs for half the peice! I'm becoming v attached to my mute.

does anyone have any suggestions for successfully getting a mute in quickly, and making sure it stays in. I know in Over the Rainbow (horn solo) trombs get about a beat to be swapping between straights and cups and i sent at least one flying, not very good if you're the soloist.

also how long should realistically be allowed for putting a mute in.

and finally, i also notice we need Tromb Harmon mutes for 4 notes. We don't currently have any, is it fair to expect us to buy them? since i've been playing i've only needed one twice (this is the second time!)

comments....

neiltwist

well, it's a lot easier to play cornet and hold your mute, and hence get it in in time, unfortunately this is forgot by many composers, and sometimes give the cornets tough mute changes, why?!?!?!?!!!!!?

anyway, the harmon mute point, maybe you could borrow some from a nearby band either not in the section, or who doesn't mind the exchange, if there are different rehearsal nights, then that's even better!

Okiedokie of Oz

There's a couple in Concert/light entertwaqinment pieces for trombones, where you chuck it in, make a funny sound, and then have 1 bar or something to chuck it out and break into a roaring solo.

God they peeve me off sometimes!

PeterBale

Staff member
When heard Cory play "Coventry Variations" I was sitting directly opposite the trombones, and one of the things I noticed was the mute work - they seemed to manage it, but don't ask me how :!:

Mind, it certainly isn't a work where the trombones can say they had nothing to do :wink: :lol: :lol:

lynchie

In "soul bossa nova" (horrible cheesy music from austin powers...) the troms are supposed to change between straight mutes, bucket mutes and open all over the place with only about a bar for each change...

We simply improvised... all the mutes are straight mutes now!

Don't suppose you could do that in a test piece though. Maybe you should invest in a second trombone with a mute already in the bell so you can just swap over instruments! :?

PeterBale

Staff member
lynchie said:
Don't suppose you could do that in a test piece though. Maybe you should invest in a second trombone with a mute already in the bell so you can just swap over instruments! :?

And then they could disqualify you for taking two instruments on the stage :wink: :!: :lol:

neiltwist

lynchie said:
In "soul bossa nova" (horrible cheesy music from austin powers...) the troms are supposed to change between straight mutes, bucket mutes and open all over the place with only about a bar for each change...

We simply improvised... all the mutes are straight mutes now!

sack that off, it's not supposed to be played with mutes at all!

Curious

Trom mute changes in Trittico are horrendous. The ability to hold trom by the bell with your little finger whilst waving a mute around in the rest of your hand is advisable. Beware the force you slam it in during the one beat rest or otherwise you end up losing some teeth!!

lynchie

and probably a large chunk of bell... really any composer who puts quick mute changes in for trombones (especially buckets!!!) should send us out a £50 note taped to the part for dent repairs!

trombelle

:shock: mute changes! the bane of trom players life :shock:

i just do the old trick of keeping it under my left knee until needed and then holding trom with right hand and putting mute in with left hand. i think this is the way most people to it and im sure you've probably tried this!

if the part is muted only for a few notes/bars maybe you could just use your hand? i know this is cheating and will probably produce totally the wrong sound but its my best idea!
otherwise, budding invertors....create a mute-putter-inner. its the way forward i tell thee!

MoominDave

Two bells! One with a mute in, one without, with a left hand valve to switch between the two... I'm sure this has been done for the Trombone, with one bell pointing backwards, but the closest pictures I can find at the moment are here, at the bottom.

By the way - something of a personal triumph this - I managed to get through the Bass Trombone part to 'Soul Bossa Nova' with all the correct mute changes whilst (*) missing only two moderately unimportant notes in concert on Sunday night. Is this a record?

Dave

(*) The 'whilst' is especially for EIBB_Ray!

neiltwist

MoominDave said:
through the Bass Trombone part to 'Soul Bossa Nova' with all the correct mute changes whilst (*) missing only two moderately unimportant notes in concert on Sunday night. Is this a record?

Dave

(*) The 'whilst' is especially for EIBB_Ray!

think it probably is a record, but it shouldn't be muted at all!

See, we dont have to worry about mutes and changing them etc (tho some of the stick changes composers give us leaves a little to be desired!!!)

BoozyBTrom

Sorry to sound like a BOC but here we go.

We spend so much time practicing our test peices music wise so nothing is left to chance. We allow things like mute changes to be in the lap of the gods.

Practice practice practice. Is all i can say. Experiment with Where you hold your mute ( under the leg, Between yor legs or behind the knee or other variations. And try out how you will put it in ( OO ERR )

You should find a way of swapping them that suits you. Admittedly though some are impossible but not all.

timbloke

trombelle said:
create a mute-putter-inner. its the way forward i tell thee!

or just hire a small child? would they be allowed on stage at a contest!!

MoominDave said:
Two bells! One with a mute in, one without, with a left hand valve to switch between the two... I'm sure this has been done for the Trombone, with one bell pointing backwards,

I remember, whilst at college, having a visit from a brass manufacturer (possibly Thein) and they had in their brouchure (which i sadly didn't keep) a double belled trombone. I may be completely wrong on this, but i'm fairly sure!! they certainly had a piccolo trombone.

MoominDave

Easier to put a Picc Trom mpc in a Tenor Trom and play it on that - it wouldn't matter where you put the slide!

Dave