If you know the link between these two objects . . .

Jack E

upload_2018-2-14_3-23-23.png

Jack E

Me, too, Bruce - sitting with a Walkman in one hand, and twirling the cassette round a Bic with the other, to save the batteries . . .

I was going to say "it all seems a long time ago" - but, now I come to think about it, it really was a long time ago!

With best regards,

Jack

Tom-King

Crikey even I know that and I'm not even (quite) 30 yet... Not sure that classes as middle aged though?!

GER

Crikey even I know that and I'm not even (quite) 30 yet
Are you sure you haven't got that from your dad?. The second test is can you remember, and have you listened to/ watched one of the following: 8 track or betamax video? If the answer is no, you're not middle aged :) :)

MoominDave

I saw proposed new definitions the other day (I forget where now):
<65 = Youth
65-80 = Middle age
>80 = Old age

I see what they're getting at - it's now commonplace for better health to extend throughout the working lifespan, and to see people in their 70s and 80s living busier lives than formerly. Hundreds of years ago people would be clapped out at 40. Now we can reliably double that.

Jack E

I think a sign of old age is when you find yourself looking at something, and thinking:

"Gosh! I used to have one of them . . . "

. . . and describing to youngsters that your parents had no problems with you walking a couple of miles to school on your own, or that when you got home from school you didn't turn the TV on because you didn't have a TV (and that you didn't have a washing machine or a fridge or a freezer, and that microwaves weren't even invented :confused:) - but that you did have to light the open fire in the living room, with kindling and coal and matches . . . and see their eyes glaze over with shock!! :eek:

Jack E

Crikey even I know that and I'm not even (quite) 30 yet... Not sure that classes as middle aged though?!

Not yet 30, Tom? No; definitely not middle-aged - just in that fine part of life where you're too old to wear a baseball cap back to front, but the creaks and groans from well-worn joints are years away!

Enjoy :)

PS - I saw a picture on the internet the other day of a young 'Joe Cool' watching some sort of sporting event on a bright sunny day. He had a baseball cap on (designed to keep the sun out of your eyes), and a pair of sunglasses (designed for the same job), but was using his hand to shade his eyes . . . because his baseball cap was shading the back of his neck (which was in shadow anyway :rolleyes:) and the sun-glasses were tucked into the neck of his tee-shirt . . . :D

Jack E

What about reel to reel recorders where you could set the speed?

Oh, yes. I used to record music programmes to be broadcast over the PA system at RAF Luqa in the early 70s - and the tape recorder was a Tandberg which could be adjusted like that. I only used it at a mere (!) 15 inches per second, but I think you could also use it at 30"/sec if you wanted to get flash! Compare that with the measly inch and seven eighths of a cassette deck . . .

We fed the output into a Quad amplifier, which looked about as up-market and hi-tech as a can opener - but when I showed the spec of the Quad to an American recording studio engineer, he said he could hardly believe what he was reading.

Mind, the sight of those huge spools hurtling round on the Tandberg was a sight to behold :eek: and not one for the faint-hearted!!

Last edited:

julian

Are you sure you haven't got that from your dad?. The second test is can you remember, and have you listened to/ watched one of the following: 8 track or betamax video? If the answer is no, you're not middle aged :) :)
Well, I had a a Betamax video recorder and I'd class myself as middle-aged, but as for 8 track? - well forget middle aged, if you had an 8 track then by now your definitely old aged!!

Reactions: GER

GER

Well, I had a a Betamax video recorder and I'd class myself as middle-aged, but as for 8 track? - well forget middle aged, if you had an 8 track then by now your definitely old aged!!
At least I had an enjoyable youth-didn't spend it driving around in Morris Marina's:):):)

GER

I used to work in a bar, and.......... when customers ordered drinks you not only had to serve them, you also had to add it up in your head!o_Oo_Oo_O no calculators, no
electronic tills, did used to have a card with the price of 1 pint 2 pints etc etc, nobody used them though.

julian

At least I had an enjoyable youth-didn't spend it driving around in Morris Marina's:):):)
I was ill advised and easily led! - Still, I progressed to a Morris Ital (I kid you not!) before seeing the light and switching to Ford. Mind you I had much better taste in cornets......

Reactions: GER

Jack E

I bought a motor bike. A man from up the road was walking past when I was adjusting the chain one day, and asked me how much I'd paid for it (I think it was about £80). When I told him, he said:

"You could have bought a nice little car for that much."

I was too polite to tell him that I didn't want something 'nice and little' - I wanted something big, loud, anti-social and dangerous! My BSA was a long way short of matching those requirements, but it was a damn sight closer to them than any 'nice little car' . . .