If you havent played it, have you made it?There are some here that obviously thinkso

What is the Highest level band you have been a member of. (Not MD. Not Dep work).

• Championship Section

Votes: 141 69.1%
  • 1st Section

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • 2nd Section

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • 3rd Section

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • 4th Section

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Non Contesting

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
It may however be a true ration of regular users of the forum maybe?

My modly powers state that 310 people have read this thread to date - so roughly 45% of them have bothered to vote.

So 101 are stating some championship experience so that's 35.5% of the people who have read this thread and bothered to vote.

It all means nothing - you can pretty much make statistics like these read anyway you want!

Siddles

Great idea Pip and agree wholeheartedly but I'm sad to say that most of the posts on here prove exactly what you're talking about therefore you'll never win!

Nice try tho mate, I'm with you all the way!

ballyhorn

Not a bad percentage then...considering the teachers are striking and only %32 bothered to vote :)...and as for people calling to close the thread...why?????....if you dont like it just dont read it...nobody forces you to.

andyp

Thing is, the poll is for the highest level you have ever permanently played for a band at, which makes my answer Championship even though I haven't played at that level apart from the (very!) occasional dep since 1990 - does this make me qualified to comment on Championship-related matters or not?

This would explain the very high levels of answers for Championship, anyone who has ever been registered for a Championship band would answer as that.

IMO there is no workable solution other than the one we have, you can look at people's experience (if it's on) and decide for yourself whether their opinion is valid, surely?

Mind you, there are a lot of people (usually in audiences at contests) who think that just cos they played for Muggins and Burke who were Championship Section in 1961 that they know everything there is to know!

FWIW I'd consider length and up-to-date-ness of experience above level of experience any day, (and not just in brass banding, either).

Will the Sec

Great idea Pip and agree wholeheartedly but I'm sad to say that most of the posts on here prove exactly what you're talking about therefore you'll never win!

Nice try tho mate, I'm with you all the way!

Says the person who's joined today and obviously read a significant number of posts in other threads on this forum to back his judgement.

Aidan

Lot of people dont bother registering and read forums as a guest until they fancy making a post.

geordiecolin

:clap:

If you don't like a thread don't read it!

Do you buy food you don't like, eat it then moan because the shop still sells it? Doubt it.

Nowt to stop me trying now and again to see if its improved any...

This whole thread seems to be symptomatic of all that seems to be wrong with tmp these days. Its a nothing debate about a nothing discussion which somehow has managed to perpuate to umpteem pages in length...

Mesmerist

I believe it's called 'lurking'

In that case I know at least 2 regular "Lurkers".:)

One of them says he doesn`t know how to post so perhaps we need a beginners guide to tmp regular guests.

PS Its ok. They are both registered championship players so they wouldn`t be lowering the level of contributions for those superior beings who worry about such things...

Mr Guinness

Its a nothing debate about a nothing discussion which somehow has managed to perpuate to umpteem pages in length...

All true Sir.

Still makes me giggle to read it though. There are some people who take the whole thing far too seriously. Thank God we're not deciding world politics here!!!

Nowt to stop me trying now and again to see if its improved any...

This whole thread seems to be symptomatic of all that seems to be wrong with tmp these days. Its a nothing debate about a nothing discussion which somehow has managed to perpuate to umpteem pages in length...

Being picky though, 9 can't be umpteen/m can it?

mclaugh

Your experience is obviously vast. But what do you actually know about how a band say like Grimethorpe would prepare for a contest and what might be right or wrong about it? Ther are areas that you would be far more experienced in. In those your opinion should be absolutely respected and taken seriously but if we were discussing say how a band like Grimey prepare for a major contest, how can you comment if you dont really understand?

Excepting ensemble size, how does a brass band preparing for a contest differ in a fundamental way from a university wind ensemble (typically 30-50 members) preparing for a regional, state, sectional, or national adjudication, or a World Class Drum Corp (which can be up to 150 members) preparing for a sectional or national competition? (Before you answer, please provide a resumé of your experience in DCI and wind ensemble adjudication so we can see that you actually are qualified to expound on the differences are. :wink: ) And, on this side of "the pond" at least, many, if not most professional civic orchestras have annual or semi-annual open auditions (with blind judging) in which individuals and ensembles compete for the opportunity to perform with the orchestra in concert: again, excepting ensemble size, how does preparing for a contest differ fundamentally from, say, a Tuba-Euph octet preparing for one of these auditions?

The fundamental challenges of preparing an ensemble for an adjudication are the same across all levels or skill and experience: what differs is the level of technical ability or "standard" at which any given ensemble is expected or required to perform. But the fundamental challenges: to play in time, in tune, in sonic balance, and expressively—that is, to make, not just sound, but music—is the same for all ensembles.

Your experience is obviously vast. [snip]
Your opinion is valid and you should be free to express it, but should the reader should not be able to see what your background experience or qualification in the subject is.

Actually, you don't know that. At this point, you have no way of knowing or verifying whether or not the resumé that I provided above is true or not; you have only my representation that it is true. For all you know, it could be pure, unvarnished hooey. As a matter of fact, you don't even know whether "John McLaughlin" is my real name or an alias. How do you propose to verify that I am who I represent myself to be?

So how does the ability to see my representation of my experience or qualification help you assess the validity or value of my posts?

John "who ain't never eaten a cr4p sandwich but will be happy to provide one to anyone who believes my lack of experience means I'm not qualified to opine credibly on the subject" McLaughlin

The Wherryman

The fundamental challenges of preparing an ensemble for an adjudication are the same across all levels or skill and experience: what differs is the level of technical ability or "standard" at which any given ensemble is expected or required to perform. But the fundamental challenges: to play in time, in tune, in sonic balance, and expressively—that is, to make, not just sound, but music—is the same for all ensembles.

The argument in a nutshell - very nicely put. Thank you :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.