I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes!

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
Everybody has one of these...What is the one piece of music that makes you lose the will to live??
Everybody has one of those pieces that they really can't abide playing and would rather bath in poo than play...

So what is your bogey piece?

Mine? I got sick and tired of playing Oklahoma and it just makes my toes curl when I hear it. Dreadfully dull arrangement of just awful music.
 

manx_yessir

Member
Singalong No.1....... Singalong No.2.........Sing With The Band........that Black & White Minstrels Medley thingy.....Oh What A Lovely War! (Is there such a thing?? :roll: )

Remember playing these pieces with my 1st band years ago at every concert we did :roll: :evil:
 

Trigger

Member
Oh- where to start??!! I hate Oklohoma too!! But it would have to be Lowry's Sketch Book-probably gonna get some stick for that, cos I know there are people out there that like it, but I hate it!!! :x
 

TIMBONE

Active Member
2nd man down said:
Mine? I got sick and tired of playing Oklahoma and it just makes my toes curl when I hear it. Dreadfully dull arrangement of just awful music.

I am not going to make any comment about the arrangement, however, you say that it is 'awful music'. My own personal comment is not aimed at you, it is just that when a person says that something is awful, does this mean that the millions of people who love the music, go to the show, buy the soundtrack etc., are they awful as well?
 

Trigger

Member
Ahh just remembered- Hootenanny and Spread a Little Happiness and Chanson D'amour (I think thats' how you spell it) and Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machnines!! Kalinka!! Ahh Ahh AHH!! :evil: :evil:
 

The Cornet King

Active Member
ET- Fanfare and Flying Theme...a god awful arrangement!

hmmm...what else. Oh yeh ANY pop song arranged for brass band. It just isnt right!!! :? They sound crap!
 

TIMBONE

Active Member
FEEL

The Cornet King said:
ET- Fanfare and Flying Theme...a god awful arrangement!

hmmm...what else. Oh yeh ANY pop song arranged for brass band. It just isnt right!!! :? They sound *beep*!

Well, the Robbie Williams song "FEEL" is a pop song, and a horn duet arrangement will be available soon, and I think it sounds fine, so does my wife.
 

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
TIMBONE said:
2nd man down said:
Mine? I got sick and tired of playing Oklahoma and it just makes my toes curl when I hear it. Dreadfully dull arrangement of just awful music.

I am not going to make any comment about the arrangement, however, you say that it is 'awful music'. My own personal comment is not aimed at you, it is just that when a person says that something is awful, does this mean that the millions of people who love the music, go to the show, buy the soundtrack etc., are they awful as well?

I suppose I only think the music is awful because we flogged it to death so much, no it wasn't meant as a reflection of the people who like it, each to their own I suppose, I just grew to dispise it.
 

David Robinson

New Member
Movie themes.
In particular, George of the Jungle.
In Jazz Band we went to elementary schools, played this, and they sang along. The worst part? They were out of tune. :(
 
Abba medley for concert band is horrid


Edit: Name deleted - Can I remind everyone not to mention Composers, Arrangers or Publishers by name please - Thank you (RT)
 

NAS

Member
The Cornet King said:
ET- Fanfare and Flying Theme...a god awful arrangement!quote]

I played this with Fodens a few years back when I depped, and again last year with Young Ambassadors in America... I have to say I think its a fantasict arrangement. You need a good horn and trombone section for the arrangement to work though :( .
 

andyp

Active Member
Any Queen music arrangement I've heard so far, apart from Bohemian Rhapsody. Please don't "dumb down" the music to make it easier (and thus sell more, presumably), it just ends up plain wrong in all the rhythms and nothing like the original.

The Floral Dance, obviously. I own neither a flat cap nor a whippet, so you can stick your stereotypes where the sun doesn't shine, please.
 

louise0502

Member
Trigger said:
Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machnines!! Kalinka!!

*huge gasp and intake of breath*
*takes a few minutes to calm down*

I love those pieces!

Mind you, i probably haven't played them as many times as you. And it would take a megaly horrible piece for me to hate it, cos i'd play anything. Actually, just thought of one - Something Stupid!
 

bigcol

Member
Curiosity_Kills said:
Abba medley for concert band is horrid


Edit: Name deleted - Can I remind everyone not to mention Composers, Arrangers or Publishers by name please - Thank you (RT)

Pah!! I was going to mention that one. Top g's for solo trombone for 150 bars or so!
 

TIMBONE

Active Member
br

andyp said:
Any Queen music arrangement I've heard so far, apart from Bohemian Rhapsody.

The Bohemian Rhapsody arrangement can't fail 'cause it's done by 'dazza', (Darrol Barry).
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top