I love cheese!!!!

Do you enjoy playing 'cheesy music'?

• Total voters

tubatu

Tom Jones in Concert may be a cheesy piece, but the audience loves it. We recently played this at Portsmouth Beer Festival, just imagine over a thousand drunks singing to Delilah, it was wonderful!

picju96

sparkling_quavers said:
We have Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter they are great !

We also have Thiller and that is cheese-mania!!!

it says the bases need to play 'funky' :shock: :?

We also have both of them, (LOTR + Harry) they're great, but solo cornet parts are awful! :lol:

sparkling_quavers

yeah I have to agree with that! LOTR's part is awful....harry potter isn't that bad....but have you seen the rep part? talk about making them play everything!!1
:shock:

Wonky_Baton

Cheesy Music

We do "You Can Keep Your Hat On" from the monty film :lol: which has more cheese than a cows udder. Least I did until the band burned it. Philistines!! :cry:

Christmas cheese or should that be camenbert with cranberry sauce has to be Slades Merry Christmas Everybody - Absolute Class!! :lol:

Well I have never met a bass player who is 'funky'!

Maybe not in Nottingham but it is full of funky and hunky basses in the north east - me included!! :shock:

rutty

Re: Cheesy Music

Wonky_Baton said:
We do "You Can Keep Your Hat On" from the monty film :lol: which has more cheese than a cows udder. Least I did until the band burned it. Philistines!! :cry:

I don't know what the bass part is like, but it has one of the most terrible back row cornet parts in the history of brass band arrangements. :cry: Trust me, it was burned for a good reason.

rutty

Wonky_Baton said:
The bass part is doo doo dut de de doo all the way through, although I have never played it :D

The rep part goes "de de de de de de de de de de de de de de" ad nauseam... :cry:

Wonky_Baton

If you'd played it doo doo doo doo doo doo instead you would have got a lot of enjoyment out of it :D . No I take your point but the overall effect was class. The horns had a similar part to yours I remember but its swings and roundabouts. Some pieces are better than others but even if I had a crap part, which when playing bass is quite often, I didn't let it effect my judgement of a piece. The audience found it fun anyway. The euphonium part was good-which I have played 8) The band were never bored anyway cos they enjoyed watching me making a prat of myself swinging my a*se when conducting... :wink:

rutty

I take your point - I've been spoiled a bit having played Solo cornet for such a long time. Now I'm on rep, which is a fantastic part on the whole, all of a sudden there's the occasion piece that requires um chucks or in the case of the Keep You Hat On arrangement, death by quavers (also apparent in Troika).

I appreciate that the audience might like it, but please don't make me play it! :wink:

hornblower

true Wonky we do like seeing you dance...erm well a close description of what you do.... I love the gladiator arrangements and the barbarian horde played by grimethorpe is better than the original orchestration!!! :lol:

I also like jurrasic park when we play it, good horn parts!!!

stephen2001

If you are looking for cheesy music, anything published by Baernarts music (or something like that!). I think Leave Your Hat On is by that publisher and all other arrangements are pretty much the same with really awful bass parts but some cool Euph stuff. It is also v v v v repetative!
Having said that, I think they do a semi decent arrangement of Born Free!

Roger Thorne

I think you'll find Born Free (John Barry) was arranged by Alan Catherall and published by Wright & Round and not a product of the Bernaerts stable - Yes definitely, because the baritones and second trombone parts had more than three different notes to play and the basses had semiquavers!

:wink:

stephen2001

Roger Thorne said:
I think you'll find Born Free (John Barry) was arranged by Alan Catherall and published by Wright & Round and not a product of the Bernaerts stable - Yes definitely, because the baritones and second trombone parts had more than three different notes to play and the basses had semiquavers!

There's definately a Baernart's arrangement of Born Free as well as the Catherall arrangement. It's just not as well known I don't think. Either that or bands steer well clear of anything Baernarts related!!!

Keppler

Staff member
Please don't start the old hobby of Bernaerts-bashing. Music from this particular publisher fills a sizable gap in the repertoire of bands, and also is accessible to a different and wide audience-space. There is a lot of it, and it does the job.
If it wasn't for old Frankie B, certain "lower-section" bands would have had problems finding suitable new music, especially 5 or 6 years ago.

Also, while taking nothing away from the original Dutch arrangers, maybe people here would find names like Steve Sykes and Darroll Barry more recognisable

Neal
Proclaimed and Unabashed Bernaerts Fan..

Heather

Darroll Barry...excellent arranger/composer.
His 'Salford Sinfonietta' is fantastic.
The arrangements of his I've played have all been ok with interesting parts (even for the baritones!) but I do know from a friend of mine that a few that I've never played are a bit 'cheesy'.

Wonky_Baton

I also like jurrasic park when we play it, good horn parts!!!

I feel as though I am being backed into a corner here, Miss Hornblower. However seen as you have posted such a lovely avatar I will put Jurassic Park in this years programme. :roll: However even I am going to struggle to dance to that one :?

Would you like me to get Alan Catherall to sign your copy?? :lol:

Roger Thorne

Keppler wrote:

Please don't start the old hobby of Bernaerts-bashing. Music from this particular publisher fills a sizable gap in the repertoire of bands, and also is accessible to a different and wide audience-space. There is a lot of it, and it does the job.
If it wasn't for old Frankie B, certain "lower-section" bands would have had problems finding suitable new music, especially 5 or 6 years ago.

I quite agree, Bernaerts music has saved the day on many a concert programme over the last few years. The only criticisms from my players are that he uses the same instrumentation for every arrangement, and certain members of the band do get a little bit cheesed off just playing 'long notes' all night.
We were recently asked to play a complete two hour concert programme of Christmas Music and included about 6 Bernaert arrangements (the up-tempo pieces) but it must have sounded like we were playing the same piece over and over again!

One very favourable comment about Bernaerts Music is the speed in which they despatch their music. I have never had to wait longer than five days for any of their music to arrive.