I love cheese!!!!

Do you enjoy playing 'cheesy music'?

• Total voters

midwalesman

Well...u have a point!!

True, that concert was well balanced and the music chosen wisely and yes it does become tiring when ur expected to play a piece at every concert and yes old cheese gets moldy!!

As for the programme itself, the Lohengrin was a transcription if I'm right was at least 40 years old and the others ( except the Elvis ) are much the same. The Floral Dance, Derek Broadbent's Floral dance is 26 years old and the tune itself has existed in the folk music scene a lot longer.

I don't mind playing cheese, audiences on the whole like cheese, as much as I would like to vary a programme more with serious music cheese wins everytime.

Just looking back at transcriptions, those were the test pieces of the 1800's and early 1900's and we still play them now. Vinter wrote pieces for contests, i.e Spectrum, but how often do bands play his pieces ? Let alone pieces which have a universal musical language such as Phillip Sparke.

When I suggested a programme of original music I did not mean 4 contest pieces...2 would be stretching it. What I meant was music by say Peter Graham that are actually written for the brass band and not ripped off from films or the musical mainstream.

I appreciate that people come to band concerts to be entertained but do the players ever get entertained ? And if the players don't get entertained or kept interested, does it not show in the music itself ?

Talking of cheese. Just been listening to a CD with Grimethorpe playing McArthur Park. One of the most cheesey songs ever composed with the cheesiest lyrics ever penned and given the Brass Band cheese treatment. Sheer class. Especially the Big band, Pearl & Dean bit in the middle and the heroic sop bit at the end. Who needs the traditional stuff when there is this extra ripe gorgonzola.

BoozyBTrom

Ahhh Macarthur Park one of Alan Catherals best arrangements.

i will tell him you love it.

now if you want cheese try playing " The Push Bike Song" or "Stop The Cavalry" at christmas of cousrse.

Or why not go whole hog and play an entire concert of Frank Bearnards Arrangements.

Cheese Fest Alert

James McFadyen

Cheese Rules and SELLS SELLS SELLS

I'm with Sparkling_Quavers!!! Everyone loves a bloddy good tune and a cheesey catchy tune is always a winner and more importantly it sells..........And I might arrange 'It's Raining Men', I might just :lol:

If any of u guys wanna try some original cheese, a couple of my compositions you might like are "Distant Skies" for experienced brass bands, it's quite a rocker but some really cool cheesey lines! and 'A Place Where Dreams Come True" is a warm-hearted look at the Brass Band sound!!!

I've done an arrangement of Oh, pretty Woman which goes into a swing section half way through and it's not the stupid plodding brass band swing, it's real swing!!!!!

Anyhow, music which is cheesy and commercial will never be appreciated by the Academics (belive me!) But if your a working composer, it's the ONLY way to earn decent money right away from Composition/Arranging!!!!!

Keppler

Staff member
sorry James... The "publish music quick instituion" of frank bernaerts has beat you to "it's raining men"
Tricky xylophone part!

James McFadyen

Any Suggestions for Arrangements?

I would appreciate any suggestions for tunes to arrange, something that you would love to buy and play and maybe I can get penning it!!!

geordiecolin

sparkling_quavers said:
Well I have never met a bass player who is 'funky'! :shock:

Surely i am the incarnation of all that is funky!!

My best/worst (depends on your point of view) cheese:

1. Hootenanny (BURN IT!! BURN IT!!)
2. Instant Concert
3. Those Magnificent Men
4. The Teddy Bear's Picnic
5. Crazy Music in the (f******) Air :x :x
6. Little Lisa (break out the coconut shells!!)
7. The Rovers Return (i once played this live on noel's house party!!)
8. Barnard Castle

My best/worst cheesy test pieces:

1. Dimensions
2. Gregson's Partita
3. Mexican Fiesta

My fave not very often played piece:

1. Appalachian Mountain Folk Song Suite

sparkling_quavers

geordiecolin said:
No comment colin!

2. Instant Concert
3. Those Magnificent Men
4. The Teddy Bear's Picnic
5. Crazy Music in the (f******) Air :x :x
6. Little Lisa (break out the coconut shells!!)
7. The Rovers Return (i once played this live on noel's house party!!)
8. Barnard Castle

burn hootenanny but not instant concert? they are both as bad as each other!

My fave not very often played piece:

1. Appalachian Mountain Folk Song Suite
I love that too....does anyone's band play in I was gonna suggest we got it out! :D

Raspberry

I haven't seen Appalachian Folk Song for years, I heard it for first time after many years about a month ago and thought thats a nice piece of music.

Does anyone remember Neighbours theme tune arranged for brass bands or theme from the Lion King "Can You feel the love tonight". When I think of it now......... :roll:

geordiecolin

sparkling_quavers said:
geordiecolin said:
sparkling_quavers said:
No comment colin!

I am the king of funkyness and you know it. Bow down at my extremely funky feet!!

sparkling_quavers said:
geordiecolin said:

2. Instant Concert
sparkling_quavers said:
burn hootenanny but not instant concert? they are both as bad as each other!

Ahh, but theres a fantastic little bass melody in instant concert!!

Mrs Fruity

You wanna blow my what? said:
And I was about to comment on a nice slice of cheddar....

I hate playing cheese cos the horns always get such stupidly boring parts.

Can I just say - rest -derde rest derde - did you recognise West Side Story??

Or - rest de rest de - The King and I?

Or - resttataresttata fall down exhausted - Death Or Glory on the march?
God Bless horn parts and all of their creative diversity!!

sparkling_quavers

Mrs Fruity said:
Or - resttataresttata fall down exhausted - Death Or Glory on the march?

I remember playing the part on backrow cornet on a march once and nearly hyperventilating at the top of the hill!! advice = do not breath too much!!![/quote]