I love cheese!!!!

Do you enjoy playing 'cheesy music'?

• Total voters

sparkling_quavers

There are some great new pieces around Harry Potter...Tom Jones in Concert...you can even buy the music from austin powers!!!! Cheesy music (of all types not just banding!) sells CDs but what do the players want to play?? There is a place for overtures and marches but what is wrong with a bit of cheese???! What do you all think?

rutty

sparkling_quavers said:
rutty have u done ur hair???! i'm sure it didn't use to be like that when we in the same band!!!

I'm having a middle-age crisis :) You should see the piercings! :wink:

rutty

Heather said:
We're playing 'Hedwigs Theme' from Harry Potter at the moment.
Its great and a good one for Xmas.
I'd like to give that one a go - I've always been partial to Bohemian Rhapsody myself - plenty of cheese there. 8)

Also The Batman Theme is a fantastic piece of music.

sparkling_quavers

We have Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter they are great !

We also have Thiller and that is cheese-mania!!!

it says the bases need to play 'funky' :shock: :?

Keppler

Staff member
sparkling_quavers said:
it says the bases need to play 'funky' :shock: :?

And just what's wrong with "funky" then? eh? eh?

Seriously, I think this stuff is great! Maybe not musically all the time, but if it wasn't for the likes of Mr Bernarts and De Haske etc, all of us mere mortal bands would be stuck. In fairness to them, they bring out topical music, (some good, some not so) they bring it out fast, and it's not overly complicated. If I have a complaint about Just Music (for example) it's that some of their published arrangements are needlessly complex.
When we look for this sort of material, we want it now, and we want it easy. It usually has a short lifetime anyway, so we can't afford to wait 6 months for the arrangement, and then another couple of weeks learning it. Young band music-choosers have no patience.. ;)

If it's cheese on the menu, make it Dutch please...

McEuphie

Cheesy music

You can't beat a good TV theme:
Coronation Street is on the go at the moment and how about James Bond Themes to be topical.

Fishsta

I've met a funky bass player. Once. :D

One of the cheesiest pieces I've heard was "Barbie Girl", that first song that Aqua did.

And I think I should point out that Bohemian Rhapsody is NOT cheesy! It's the greatest song of all time!

Yes, I am a Queen fan.... :lol:

Keppler

Staff member
sparkling_quavers said:
Well I have never met a bass player who is 'funky'! :shock:

Ah I keep telling you you should drop over for a rehearsal.. ours might turn out to be the funky variety..

ah no, hang on, they're just sarcastic and think they're funny.... just the regular common or garden type then..

rutty

Fishsta said:
And I think I should point out that Bohemian Rhapsody is NOT cheesy! It's the greatest song of all time!

Nothing wrong with liking Queen!

It is cheesy though, as far as Brass Band music is concerned - I agree it's one of the greatest rock tunes of all time 8)

Keppler

Staff member
rutty said:
It is cheesy though, as far as Brass Band music is concerned

What's your definition of "cheesy"? Something an ordinary audience might actually like?

rutty

Keppler said:
rutty said:
It is cheesy though, as far as Brass Band music is concerned

What's your definition of "cheesy"? Something an ordinary audience might actually like?
No, it's something that's turned into a bit of a cliche - I love Bohemian Rhapsody as a rock tune, but as a brass band arrangement, it has a certain popular appeal. Cheesy in my book doesn't necessary mean bad, but something that might put a big grin on yer face! Like certain Tom Jones arrangements....

dave jake

Cheesiest piece of all time must be Floral Dance ,sad thing is still goes down well at park jobs. It does my head in :roll:

Fishsta

What about cheesy solos?

The only one I can think of is The Acrobat... great crowd-pleaser, though!

Roger Thorne

The Floral Dance -

I attended the 25th Anniversary concert of the 'Floral Dance' at Huddersfield recently where both the present Brighouse & Rastrick band performed alongside the B&R band of 1975.

They performed the 'Floral Dance' three times at that concert and the audience loved it.

If it wasn't for B&R and the Floral Dance pushing Brass Bands into the limelight in 1975 Brass Bands today may still be considered 'Out of the Ark."