I love cheese!!!!

Do you enjoy playing 'cheesy music'?

• Total voters

Keppler

Staff member
Roger Thorne said:
We were recently asked to play a complete two hour concert programme of Christmas Music and included about 6 Bernaert arrangements (the up-tempo pieces) but it must have sounded like we were playing the same piece over and over again!

All Christmas Music sounds the same Roger.... ;)

I take your point about the instrumentation playing the pads. I'm not saying it's perfect. But it's playable.
I've seen players and conductors turn up their noses at the sight of the outside of an FB score. Hardly a professional attitude IMHO. At the end of the day if the band is happy to play them occasionally or all night (and bands are) then they're a good thing. It ticks me off when a publisher gets bad press from a few people who think they'll turn their nose up at it. That inevitably spreads and colours other people's opionions, and bingo - there's a person out of business and a big hole in the market.
I'm sure, you, as a publisher yourself, are aware of the possible dangers of this.

End of rant.

Roger Thorne

I couldn't agree more.

As far as I am aware the only bad press he gets is on his instrumentation and the lack of imagination he puts into the 'endings' of his arrangements. But it's a tried and tested formula which obviously works and is successful.
He has followed in the foot steps of Edrich Siebert and has supplied the band world with a wealth of material playable by ALL sections. Even the lower section bands can get his material up to concert standard in a very short space of time and that obviously adds a 'feel good' factor to any rehearsal.
I'll be honest, I actually like the majority of his material and he has produced some very good arrangements.
As you say there are one or two people who do turn their noses up at his arrangements but I don't think they'll put this man out of business.

Fishsta

I'm sorry to do this, but I'm a bit of a "Bernaerts Basher".

When I was on Trombone, it was very annoying playing only 2 different notes throughout a whole piece.

However, there's a guy who publishes under the banner of Bernaerts Music called Jan Van Kraydonck (or something like that) who has done some very good stuff so far, which, whilst being playable by all sections (no doubt about this), were sufficiently varied enough to stop the boredom creeping in.

Fishsta

In saying that, by the way, I know FB has done a couple of good arrangements which are fun to play (and listen to), but my personal opinion (and that's all this is) is that I don't like MOST of his stuff.

I personally don't see the problem in saying I don't like his music here... I could say the same about Eminem (although I feel much stronger about that... I don't consider it music, to be honest), but there could easily be someone here who thinks he's a lyrical genius.

It's all personal taste, so I'm not trying to start an argument. :)

Keppler

Staff member
Not arguing with you in the least bit Ian.
Not liking the music is allowed.
Some of the old FB stuff is very dodgy (sorry Frank) - bad memories of "Take my breath away"

That wasn't the point I was trying to make however, and as I think it's made, I won't continue the blathering any longer..

Only being recently introduced to Brass Band music I found the "Cheesy" music an interlude to some of the more trad being played, this is not to say we dont't enjoy the traditional, but to expect the uninitiated to sit through, some of the more recent test pieces at Championship and 1st Section levels surely challeges even the stallworts amongst you!!. :shock:

Cheesy music gets bums on seats! :wink:

Roger Thorne

Wonky_Baton said:
I thought you were designing a new avatar, wonky!?

I looked and looked and looked nowt. I have had to do this one off 46 years ago :oops:

Wonky, I reckon you must be browsing through your family photo album here. I'm sure your Avatar was playing a bass not half-an-hour ago :!:

I hope we're not going to get the holiday snaps out :cry: :cry:

Wonky_Baton

Caught me out eh Roger. I thought i'd got away with it. :wink:

Not keen on a photo at all but I cannot find a decent doings anywhere and everyone else seems to have a photo too. :cry: I cannot make one cos I've got no talent and I thought the bass photo was the only one until I came across me in my james bond costume 8)

Anyway as soon as I come across an avatar that I like it will be gone. Its better than a blank space:p

Owen

We don't play much cheese at band, which is a shame, but we do have a ten piece where the fromage connoisseur can dip their bread in a true fondue!

Having said that - we did play Angels for a while. Strangely, not cheesy when Robbie does it, but the brass band arrangement.......

*shudder*

Owen

Boneman

Owen,

Hi how are you?

I seem to remember us playing a particularly cheesy version of 'The A Team' at the LUUMS Band!

My band regulary finishes with Hootenanny - At a recent (Xmas) concert the Audience was offered a choice between Jingle Bells or Hootenanny as an encore - the vote was 100% for Hootenanny!

Simon.

Owen

Simon! Good to see you!

I seem to remember that the Leeds Uni Brass Concerts featured many such gems as the A Team theme - do you recall "Beethovens Beano"? I think I still have some of the recordings that were made of the concerts somewhere - I must try to hunt them out. Is it my imagination or did we play "Stage Centre" and "Music" at every concert?

Planning to try and get a reunion together for after the areas - it has been suggested that a daytime, rather than evening, gathering might be better, to suit all those with families! I have added Bryan Robson to this list of former members. He is alive and well and living in Essex. Not playing but looking to restart this year.

See you soon!

Owen

Boneman

Owen,

Yes I seem to remember plenty of cheese at the Band! - Do you recall the rehearsal where we spent 2 hours practising the opening note of Shepherds Song!

Be good to get a reunion together! - By the way there is a thread in this forum about famous players - Perhaps Bryan Robson qualifies for that section!

Hope to see you soon

Simon.

Owen

Oh my! I had forgotten that evening, but it all comes flooding back - what was the name of the guy that took the rehearsal? He was a cornet player as I recall, but I can't for the life of me remember what he was called! He was seriously into those first couple of bars though wasn't he?

Got any ideas for what we could do for a reunion? I am open to suggestions and venues - doesn't have to be Leeds, now that hardly anyone lives in the area anymore!

How are things going at Jackfield? Say hi to Kath for me!

See you soon

Owen

midwalesman

Cheese

Cheese and more cheese and more cheese....then a bout of sicknes!!

I might be in the minority, actually looking at the stats, I am!! But once you play 30 concerts a year and then you play cheese and more cheese, week in and week out and record cheese then it gets to the point where it's pouring out of ya ears. The punters do like cheese, I cannot deny that but our expectation that we should play only cheese is wrong. I am currently taking a PhD in the reaction of audiences to brass band music, and as part of the course I question members of the audience (approximately 6 -7 people per concert ). Hmmmm...yeah I might be tedious, but at least at the end of it I may have some answers and the guessing game about what audiences want or expect may be replaced by hard facts. Of the people I have asked so far, and these include people from various backgrounds, ages and geographical areas, most have said that they would not be worried if bands attempted to play contemporary music, or at least test pieces in a varied programme.
As a player I find myself getting well and truly cheesed off, soz bout the pun!! I'm glad that the person who came to the Brighouse enjoyed himself, and to be honest the place was rockin'! Other venues also enjoy the Floral Dance, but imagine playing that piece every concert that you do..mainly at about 10pm on a Saturday night. Yep, the Floral dance and brased off brought bands to the public eye...but personally I'd pull my hair out if in 20 years Grimey would be playing Orange Juice and William Tell every concert. Every CD I have done has been of popular music, no test pieces or contemporary music anywhere near the recording studio.
Pieces like Bohemian Rhapsody and Harry P are nice to play don't get me wrong but the novelty soon runs out !
I congratulate arrangers, and hope they continue to do their often great arrangements but I'm hoping that at some point we can perform concerts of original music for bands and not a whole concert of other genres music.

MidWalesMan

( Ne comments I make on here do not reflect any band policy or statement they are simply my own )

Roger Thorne

midwalesman wrote:

But once you play 30 concerts a year and then you play cheese and more cheese, week in and week out and record cheese then it gets to the point where it's pouring out of ya ears.

What do you consider to be Cheesey Music?

The B&R concert in Huddersfield included:

Introduction to Act III - Lohengrin - Wagner
Festival Overture - Shostakovitch
Nessun Dorma - Puccini
Nabucco - Verdi
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 - Liszt

I'd hardly call that cheese! Admittedely the Elvis selection and three renditions of the Floral Dance might be considered cheesey by anyone's standards, but the remaining concert was made up of classic Brass Band reportoire, albeit transcriptions, that I would expect a band like B&R to play.

I'm not too sure about playing concerts that are made up entirely of original reportoire - I think we would see a very quick demise in the attendance of our audiences.

Lets stay as we are. A selection of 'crackers' and plenty of 'cheese'.

:wink:

Boneman

I agree with Roger here, a good balance of music is required, and that should include some 'cheesy' stuff.

One point that seems to come out in the thread isn't so much not liking the cheesy music but that we seem to play it over and over again - i.e. Playing Swinging Safari at every concert for years!

As long as the repertoire is changing then we should have no problems playing cheese - I guess the problem for the guys from B&R is that they are expected to play the Floral Dance at every concert - the piece itself is a good piece!

Don't forget, even the finest cheese goes moldy after a while!
Simon.

Product tMP members are discussing