I Got Rhythmn .. NOT!

WhatSharp?

Just a quick thought my son is learning to play Euph and really struggling with the concept of playing notes to a beat and I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips on how to help him out. I tried sitting him down with a metronome and clapping along to it with little success so any other idea anyone?

neiltwist

the bass part in music, or percussion. try by starting to teach normal music before anything that complex. popular tunes, the bar lines can be said to make the music readable so you don't lose your place.

WhatSharp?

neiltwist said:
the bass part in music, or percussion. try by starting to teach normal music before anything that complex. popular tunes, the bar lines can be said to make the music readable so you don't lose your place.

He's not too bad at reading music, it's translating it onto the instrument!, I think it's one of these things that will come in time, some people pick it up quicker than others (mind there are those that NEVER pick it up :D ). The explanation of bar lines is a good one, I'd never thought of it that way before, cheers.

WhatSharp? said:
Just a quick thought my son is learning to play Euph and really struggling with the concept of playing notes to a beat and I was wondering if anyone on here has any tips on how to help him out. I tried sitting him down with a metronome and clapping along to it with little success so any other idea anyone?

By the sounds of it he should fit into any number of bands I have played with - theres always someone before/after the beat :)

It sounds as though you are doing the right things - just try to find different ways of explaining the same point, that and some persistance should pay off.

For the more advanced tMPers out there, you should try the Hindemith rhythmn exercises. You have to clap one rhythmn and sing another at the same time. Relatively easy at first but they get much harder.

(By the way - don't let him tap his foot!!!)

WhatSharp?

[quote="Mike Saville](By the way - don't let him tap his foot!!!)[/quote]

I "Stamped" that one out quite early :D
(not literally if anyone from the SS are lurking :) )

bladder

Sounds like your lad has a definite 'Jazz' leaning, in the early stages of developing that elusive 'phrasing' :wink:.
Seriously, try getting rid of the 'black and white' and teach him to play an easy tune, a hymn maybe, by ear, playing along with you, etc. He knows he's got it right, he can hear it. Then, the important part, show him what the tune looks like on the page. This might help him make 'associations' between music and music notation.
Music is full of abstract notions like the 'beat', etc. which are not easily defined 'on the page'. Once a child can make these abstract associations there's no stopping them!!
It's just a thought, idea that may help your young lad. Good luck.

Keppler

Staff member
I agree with bladder (shock! horror! ;))

The most important thing to develope with a learning player is confidence. Go for a smooth sound and don't be completely rigid with the "black & whites" Sometimes playing "follow-me" can do more to help rhythmic feel than mathematics, and it will also develop the student's ear and help introduction to various styles.