How much does banding mean to you?

timbloke

Through banding, been to Belgium, Austria, Dundee, Torquay, and Pontins!! taken up skiing, and most recently met my girlf. I've also developed as a player, and more importantly as a person. I am far more confident, better organised and can really say i enjoy life, although sometimes it gets a bit much... but not often :)

and soon i may even appear on telly? (CinN)

geordiecolin

timbloke said:
better organised

Through banding, Tim is now able to remember ALL of his trombone!!

For me though, band is a major part of my life and i wouldn't be the same person without it.

Jo Elson

I just love any opportunity to play. Banding takes up my spare time from college and from work, and I love it (I put it before college and work actually!). I've met many new people inc. my boyfriend through banding, and I wouldn't change it for anything. Only a few of my college friends are in a band(not brass though) or even do music, but the others don't think I'm sad or anything, like a lot of young people would, I actually took one of them with me to a contest a few years ago and they were quite surprised to find that they really enjoyed it and how different it was from their stereotyped view, as well as how many people were involved. :)

sparkling_quavers

I have played in bands since I was really young and would never give it up for the world. Like others most of my good friends I have met through brass banding... Having only recently moved into an area where I don't know that many people I was able to join a new band and instantly make lots of new friends....

Like Pythagorus said it is a massive part of my life socially organising time around fitting band stuff in and visiting old bands and band friends.

Jordan

yippee

I've been in banding now since 1992 and came up through junior to senior band in the BTM Band and it was the best thing i ever did!! started on Bariotne and then moved to percussion, playing brass helped shape me as a musician i and i have a lot to be thankful for in this band!!!

Jordan

yippe 3 tries to 1

sorry what terrible spelling that should say baritone if you might not have guessed :lol: :wink: :roll:

Well I shall be eternally grateful to banding as that is how I met my wonderful husband and it is still a shared hobby. However over the years our priorities to band have changed. There was a time that I used to skiive work to go and listen to contests (Remember that day out at Buxton all those years ago Mr Thorne with your white Mazda and those bumps!!!) I even missed time at college during my A-Levels to set up for concerts etc. Now that I have children they are my priority so if I don't have suitable childcare I don't go to band - I refuse to "dump" them with different people every week. Doing my degree is costsing me lots so that is my next priority and work is what I do to fund my degree so I no longer find myself skiiving work to attend band. I still thoroughly enjoy banding and am a committed member of the band (well I think so) but instead of my banding being my life, my life is plentiful with a bit of banding.

SammyT

The Cornet King said:
leisa said:
most of my friends are from bands! i love it!!! i dont think were sad either just special and different!! special people!!

We are all very special indeed! :D And certainly different :hammer

After all who else is gonna march in the rain... :? tolerate excessive drinking :guiness ... AND Buy your most hated of opposition a pint in the bar afterwards :D

Brass Banders...a special breed...one could say a Vintage! :lol:

Well said!
I love banding, most other things take second place. My best mates are in banding (hey satchmo!) and I just love it :D :D :lol: :lol:

PhoenixDave

It means everything to me. I play for a band which I co-founded 3 years ago with my best mates. We have been through thick and thin together and we are all still playing with the band. It fills me with an immense sense of pride when I think of everything we achieved and the work we have all put in, and I am sure other TMP'ers feel they are part of a real community both in and out of the band room.

:D :D :D Up the Phoenix!!!! :D :D :D

imthemaddude

Its the most important thing in my life - i started the organ when i was 3 and ive been a very successful musician on many instruments but there is not the sense of pride as leading your band onto the stage for a contest as principal cornet - however well the band does. The sense of a team is fantastic :D

satchmo shaz

banding has given me everything (travel, friends, success, pride, a sense of belonging, family, ambition..... I could go on!!) and it means everything to me especially my band Long Eaton Silver Prize Band...... they are my whole life..........all my family are involved with the band too :wink: .... otherwise I would never see them!!

Lotta

You beat me to it PhoenixDave!! :lol:

I'm glad that we had the mad brainwave in the Waggon in July 2000! Look at us now..... and where are the people that said it will never work? :x

I'm so proud of us all... not just the founders... but like "imthemaddude" says.... you do have a sense of pride when you play and I know we all feel a sense of belonging too. :lol:

I know it's a nightmare sometimes but you know we'd never change it!! :D

:bounce :bounce :guiness :guiness :bounce :bounce

Big Twigge

Band when living in the middle of nowhere and all friends are at uni means that I know I get out at least once a week! pheww!

Okiedokie of Oz

Serving on the band's management comittee, I find it hard working with people who are not as fanatical about banding as myself. Those who are heavily involved in banding, know what's been tried, what could work, what needs to work, and yet these "Bandroom Babies" think they have all the ideas because "my son's scout group did this!" :evil: :x :!:

neiltwist

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Serving on the band's management comittee, I find it hard working with people who are not as fanatical about banding as myself. Those who are heavily involved in banding, know what's been tried, what could work, what needs to work, and yet these "Bandroom Babies" think they have all the ideas because "my son's scout group did this!" :evil: :x :!:

well, I agree with the point in general, but if you can't give a good reason why it wouldn't work, or the gains wouldn't be worth it, then what's the harm in trying it?!?!?!??!?!!

andyp

I think you can tell how important banding is to someone when they start arranging other things (such as holidays) around the band! Eventually you get so used to doing it that it becomes second nature. Very few bandspeople take holidays in February! (i.e. just before the Areas).
Oh, and I met my wife though banding as well. I wonder how many people that's happened to? There's at least 3 couples presently in our band that met there, and many more that are no longer with us that met there.

Okiedokie of Oz

Andy, I agree. Ask my band, I've actually tried to support most of the changes. I've just obviously worded something poorly, or focussed on another issue. let me try again.

In Gladstone our little comittee is having massive feuds within itself because it feels like there are two political parties - The Bandies, a traditional group of brass banders who have dedicated themselves to this hobby for years (or sometimes it feels that way!); and the Bandroom Babies, usually a group of mothers trying to get involved. Now, while some ideas have had a bit of merit, others have stepped on a few toes of the Bandies, because "it just isn't done that way!" Now it's good to see people tryng hard to keep the band alive for future generations, but sometimes change is required.

**It sounds like I've changed sides here, hasn't it????**

Some of the changes being suggested, however, have been rather silly, because they've come from people who just don't know why things are as they are.

Why do we need tubas in a band? We have that big trombone, and 3 euphos!
What's a cornet? My boy plays trumpet.

Now to bring it back to my original post, some people who just aren't as knowedgable on the subject of brass banding as others, keep trying to change band policy, not realising that things are as they are for a reason beyond me just saying " 'cuz I said so!".

Did this work better?

neiltwist

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Did this work better?

just a bit!

I thought you meant fundraising ideas or some other matter where cubscouts may have new and inspirational ideas :)roll:)

But anyway, I think i got the competely wrong end of the stick there, sorry :oops:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.