how important are the horns compared to the cornets??????

i think that every section of the band is important....... i just wondered y the cornets are often in the lime light...... and not as much the other sections who are equally as good i think its best to show off all the colours of a brass band by featuring all the sections because i think each section has something different to offer....... xxxxxx

persins

Horns are like the holding midfielder!!! They do a wonderful job but don't always get the glory!

Horns (along with back row cornets and Baritones) provide the strength and middle of the fat rounded tone of a good brass band sound. Although the parts may not always be as technically challenging or exciting as the Solo Cornet or Euph, they are there for a different reason.

If there parts weren't there, it does make a massive difference as we found out at rehearsal the other day! all 3 horn players were missing for a while and it sounded weird. In tune but weird!:tongue: :biggrin:

Cornishwomble

persins said:
Horns are like the holding midfielder!!! They do a wonderful job but don't always get the glory!

Horns (along with back row cornets and Baritones) provide the strength and middle of the fat rounded tone of a good brass band sound. Although the parts may not always be as technically challenging or exciting as the Solo Cornet or Euph, they are there for a different reason.

If there parts weren't there, it does make a massive difference as we found out at rehearsal the other day! all 3 horn players were missing for a while and it sounded weird. In tune but weird!:tongue: :biggrin:
I used to hate it when the horns were missing from Woodfalls, it ususaly meant Sam the 3rd cornet player having a go on horn :frown:

What am I???

persins said:

I completely agree. how many times have you heard 'I will follow him' for 3 troms and flugel? The troms all stand up for the solo and get the applause but it is very rare the flug gets a piece of the action although it clearly states on the piece 'Solo for 3 trombones and Flugel'.

And in rehearsal I never know when I'm playing and when I'm not!! I mean sometimes Adrian (our MD) asks the horns to play but doesn't mean me but other times he does. And to confuse me even more sometimes I play along with the cornets! Will some one please tell me am I a flugel? a flugel horn? or just a slightly overweight cornet?? We flugels are just so misunderstood :redface:

I had to do a bit of arranging recently, and I found the horn section very useful - they're great when accompanying a singer because they're so quiet - well apart from the 2nd horn :D :D :D

The trombones are cool as well.

Heck - I like them all :)

persins

Cornishwomble said:
I used to hate it when the horns were missing from Woodfalls, it ususaly meant Sam the 3rd cornet player having a go on horn :frown:
it's giving me the jitters just thinking about it!!:biggrin: Definitely better when the proper ones are there!!! You missed his attempt at baritone a few months back though! Now that was comedy!