How has banding changed and what have you experienced during your lifetime?

John Brooks

It's been said that we need new and interesting topics and I'm hopeful that this might fit both parameters.

I grew up in Kensington, west London and was taken to the local Salvation Army at Notting Hill my my elder brother when I was five. It was there that I first learned to play the cornet. The bandmaster was Charlie Woods who was seriously ill with TB for some time during which bandmaster Williams (father of James) took the band. It was a small group but had an effective presence in the neighborhood. Subsequently my family moved to Penge in south east London where I continued to progress. At one time I received lessons from Peter Clack, principal french horn with the Welsh Guards.
Penge was where I experienced the first significant change in banding as instruments were changed from high to low pitch. Music played was more challenging at Penge and I had the privilege of playing under the baton of Dean Goffin and Norman Bearcroft. I was a founding member of the South London Divisional Youth Band under Les Condon.
Work was in an office on Queen Street, near St. Paul's Cathedral and I would often attend concerts by different groups performed on the steps of St. Paul's. I was also a frequent visitor to ISB band rehearsals (when they had regular noon hour rehearsals) during the era of Roland Cobb, Terry Camsey, Ron Harrison, Arthur Rolls, Leslie Condon, Charles Skinner and many others. I recall Bernard Adams introducing The Holy War and how the performance evolved over the weeks prior to its first public performance. A personal highlight was going to the SA shop at Judd Street and standing close to Roland Cobb as he demonstrated a new cornet model. As a teenager I was enthralled.
In 1966 I emigrated to Canada and settled in Brantford, Ontario. The band was a good size and delivered a live weekly broadcast over the local radio station. A highlight of my time with that band was sharing a concert with Hamilton Temple Band under the direction of Wilf Mountain. Some years later circumstances resulted in my joining HTB when Brian Nutty (former sop at Hendon SA) was the bandmaster. I also played under David Stephens and David Argent. As a member of HTB I was fortunate to participate in a recording with Ted Marshall as the engineer and also trips to Michigan and California. This was a busy band and guest soloists included Roland Cobb, Gordon Higinbottom, Ian Bousfield, Robert Venables, Robert Foster and Don Lusher. Playing with this band in Roy Thomson Hall was an amazing experience.
I was privileged to hear several visiting bands including Amsterdam Staff Band, Melbourne Staff Band, New York Staff Band, Chicago Staff Band, Sydney Congress Hall, Box Hill (Melbourne), Wellington Citadel, Stockholm VII, Hollywood Tabernacle, Govan (on their iconic 1966 North American tour) and the ISB. I was present at the inaugural festival of the Canadian Staff Band and most of their subsequent anniversary concerts. I also heard Desford, G.U.S., C.W.S. (Manchester), Fairey and Black Dyke (twice) in or near Toronto.
Leaving the SA I enjoyed the opportunity to play in an orchestra several times which expanded my playing experience, a highlight being the accompaniment of well known Christian vocalist Steve Green in a concert.
Banding has changed a lot over the years in the S.A. and elsewhere. Expansive tours are a thing of the past, with most being less than two weeks and some "long weekend trans-Atlantic" trips having been undertaken in recent years. For me the most significant change is in the music played. While I appreciate many of the newer works I also wish bands would continue to feature some of the older works as well. For example, what I wouldn't give to hear one of the top bands play Alan Street's Rococo Variations on a Theme of Tchaikovsky. There's a whole list of pieces but maybe that's a topic for another thread.
I hope this is interesting and that others will share in a similar vein.

GER

I have lived in Doncaster, South Yorkshire all my life.I started playing the cornet at the age of 8, my 1st tutor was the school peripatetic, Hayden Griffiths, who I believe held the position of longest serving conductor up to his death in 2018. I played with the band he founded which was then Elmfield house youth club band, later to become Armthorpe Elmfield, the band is still in existence and in the third section. I moved from there to Hatfield Main Colliery band aged about 12 and started taking lessons with George Thompson, the late great conductor of Grimethorpe Colliery. At 15 I won a scholarship to Huddersfield School of Music, and studied there for two years, in hindsight I was too young to be away from home, the bright lights took over from the studying, so I didn't complete the course. Over the next few years I played with several bands in and around the Doncaster area, Mr Thompson was still my tutor and I used to go with him both to bands he was training and on several occasions into the adjudicators box as his 'assistant'.
Banding took a bit of a back seat when family came along, but both my daughter and son started playing, I used to go and help out at the local school and music centre, and ending up playing with a local wind band and Armthorpe Elmfield band. Following the death of the wind band conductor, who had become a good friend, I put my instrument down and didn't pick it up again for 20 years, then Xmas 2017 played a few carols for the grandkids and by middle of January 2018 was back playing. I am nowhere the player I was, but am enjoying it, although TBH this enforced lockdown has made me realise how much more spare time I have without band, I will go back, but probably not on the same terms as when it was suspended.

John Brooks

I realized after posting that I had forgotten three other significant changes since I started playing in the mid-50's. One is the involvement of women at all levels. In some cases it's an increased involvement but in others it was a more profound change and today it's happily become a part of the norm. The second is changes in percussion. I remember one man surrounded by a kit and one or two timps trying to play all the parts. It may be a surprise to the younger cohort to hear that percussion was not allowed at some contests, including the Nationals. Now of course it's at the opposite end of the scale and percussion, with up to four or five players in some cases is required. The third is stamina and technique....pieces that only the very top bands played twenty or 30 years ago are now played at contests by first and second section bands, admittedly some with more success than others. I have old recordings of, for example, Black Dyke playing the previously mentioned Rococo Variations by Alan Street and The Shipbuilders to name two, but it's highly unlikely that Black Dyke would feature such works in their programs today (because they are too easy ??).

GER

Strange but after a twenty year break, I found very little had changed, especially in the world of contesting. The powers that be seem to be paranoid about bands cheating, still acting like a mafia mob surrounding the adjudicators, in the case of the areas and nationals prohibiting bands from using deputies and generally not realising the changes that have happened in the brass band world. I really fear that unless there is a change of heart soon banding will cease to exist as we know it, lower section bands will be driven to closure and only well financed higher sections bands will be left

ChrisHelme

Hello John & Ger - Reading through your two messages is like reading a whose who in banding... fascinating to read. Wilf Mountain ex CWS and Fairey, I featured one of his few solos on my weekly Sunday Bandstand show not that long ago, a real star performer. I too have the 10" records Rococo Variations and many of the others, Rococo has also featured on my show. Great memories, to catch some of the old pieces which might be considered too easy it will still take a good band to play them well - check out my programme on the forum or through this link