How hard is Ballet for Band?

Andy_Euph

As my band is probably going to Butlins, I was just wondering how difficult is Ballet for Band and in particular the euphonium part. I have a recording and to be honest it doesn't sound overly difficult although there seems to be a few tricky bits... views people please? :)

jambo

Like any decent test piece ity has its moments but its a great piece of music. Certainly one of my favourite for listening.

Its not outlandishly hard by todays standards and you should manage the Euph parts, just a bit of flying around. Sustained stuff, good finish...enjoy

PeterBale

Staff member
Andy_Euph said:
As my band is probably going to Butlins, I was just wondering how difficult is Ballet for Band and in particular the euphonium part. I have a recording and to be honest it doesn't sound overly difficult although there seems to be a few tricky bits... views people please? :)
I should imagine doing an entre-chat with a bass must be a bit of an effort :oops:

Great piece :D

If you're on 2nd euph you'll love it...not too difficult and one or two lively bits for the solo player so you can sit back and laug.......enjoy :wink:

noddy

Andy_Euph said:

Fab piece of music, and not as easy as it looks!! I'm sure you'll enjoy playing it! :D

Accidental

Supporting Member
Euph probably has the trickiest part - unlucky! :lol: Seriously though, its not too demanding technically, except a few odd bars and the very wiggly euph bit on the last page. It was the 1st section area test piece about 6? years ago, and from memory the hardest thing about it was bringing out the music and the "story". Fab piece to play.

Brassbones

* Your bass bone player might be a bit alarmed as it has some bits in the slow quiet stuff!!! :shock:

* Bass section might struggle not to laugh in the cheesy Eb/BBb duet bit!

* Flugel is well featured.

Other than that its basically a nice chewn!!! Enjoy :lol:

nickjones

Aye the bass duet near the begining is a bit cheeky to say the least. :lol: ..great music , it's like Richard Strauss for brass..

MoominDave

It's one that trips up a lot of bands that don't expect it to be hard - most of the performances I've heard of it have had something wrong with them that shouldn't have happened... And I haven't just heard it played in the South, before anyone suggests it. :lol:

Highams

Played this on BB flat bass with Hanwell (Ian Johnson) at the finals ('83?) and with Hendon (G.Brand) at the regionals.

I think it gets harder the more you get into it. It starts off as a fairly good test on the initial run through, then lots of little bits start causing rehearsal problems throughout the band as the weeks go by.

Great music.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

JANUARYMAN

jambo said:
Like any decent test piece ity has its moments but its a great piece of music. Certainly one of my favourite for listening.

Its not outlandishly hard by todays standards and you should manage the Euph parts, just a bit of flying around. Sustained stuff, good finish...enjoy

Come on Jambo, be honest, remember your mate on rep and the subsequent domino ralley at a famous holiday park a few years back?

Ohhh, I still get flash backs when I drop off in the Wooly after one too many!

Dave

jambo

JANUARYMAN said:
jambo said:

Come on Jambo, be honest, remember your mate on rep and the subsequent domino ralley at a famous holiday park a few years back?

Ohhh, I still get flash backs when I drop off in the Wooly after one too many!

Dave

Ha ha, you might have me there Dave...

Flash backs from the Wooly...where to start?! Less said the better, is it safe to return yet or are the villagers still on the hunt? :D

nickjones

Music for a festival is a top piece....written for youth section ( I think ) graded about 3rd section..

Garry Lannie

Ballet For Band

cracking sop part great flugel part and you will need a front row with nerves of steel for the slow section(High and PP) some tricky horn work (Oh how I remember it well) a few flutters and a fantastic ending to one of my favorite peices.It is technically quite hard if you want to pull it of succesfully.GOOD LUCK

jim

Wasnt it Pontins test piece a few years ago, 2002? Stunning flugal, Sop and Cornet solo in the middle movement, normally a flugal player wins best soloist. :D

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Great piece. The real tester for me (on flugel) is not the long lowish solo but the quieter little cameo at the end of the slow movement. That is very tough to get just right style wise, dynamically and to get the right feel and note production(it is something like ppp).

It's one of those that seems OK to start with but then you find lots of little stumbling blocks, and as someone else has said, it's hard to bring out the story and the music in it.

One of my all-time favourites though - good luck!