horn solos

Anglo Music Press

Helen V said:
Nadia said:
I know you've done masquerade before.. is that avail with band accomp? bit of a lip *beep* but would be *beep* hot in the 1st half.

The band accompianment isn't officially published, but i'm trying to get a copy (will let ya know if i ever have any luck...).

The band acc. of Masquerade has never been put into print, but you will be able to get a copy of the manuscript parts from Studio Music (sales@studio-music.co.uk)

Well Worth It

Mozart, Schmozart. Horns need new pieces!!!
Why do people write cheese exclusively for horns.
Any blokes that sing in a bloke range usually get euph counterpart arrangements.
Low voiced ladies get flugel arrangements.
What do horns get left with???
Cheese-on-toast s~~~~!!
What did they ever do to deserve this complete disrespect.
Get your teeth into the Gregson you big southern fairy!
(It's done for band too).

Roger Thorne

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned SKELTER by Derek Broadbent.
We've played this piece on several occasions and it always goes down well with our audiences. It's also won us a couple of Solo prizes too.

:wink:

Well Worth It

True, but it's not much of a challenge for the 'Filth.
Someone needs to arrange Golland's 1st Sonata for band.
That piece is cool as...

Laserbeam bass

homocidalbennyboy said:
The only bit I couldn't do in that blasted solo was the realy fast chromatic solo at the end.... it really annoyed me.. because I can't use the piece until I can play it! (Although the piano part's a knightmare for that part! ;))

If in doubt on a 2 octave chromatic scale starting on D, use the infallible approach. Bottom octave will need to be played with the correct valve sequence but once you get into the upper register you can just waggle 1 and 2, making sure that you finish on first valve, (my preference) or open. The other way to ensure it sounds good but isn't necessarily correct is to take the last Vivo as quick as is humanly possible. This will involve triple tonguing, but makes it a damn sight easier to BS the chromatic scale :idea:

Heppy

You may complain Well Worth It, about the lack of horn solos and more people should write/ arrange better pieces etc, but isn't it you who 'jumped ship' and joined the shed builders association?!? Stop being a coward and stick up for what you believe in man. I'm sure all the sop players out there are feeling the strain of being the best Eb instrument in the band. Try and raise the profile of this obselete instrument!!!!
Heppy
Sop

Nadia said:
Helen V said:
[and Philip Wilby's horn concerto which isn't out yet (not heard it yet).
I've heard the first 2 movements.. or maybe it was the 1st and 3rd.. not sure.. (arfon can you remmeber?)

Not sure which ones you heard Aidan lad but Lesley's played the Wilby Concerto a few times with band (both excellent renditions) and more recently with the RNCM band in the Christmas concert, which was also great!

It's not an easy one I can tell you that, and requires both a tongue of lightning and quite spectacular finger work (both solo and accompaniment part!!) but once you've got it nailed it's a fantastic piece :D

The Ellerby is a great one as well, but most of the ones I'd recommend have already been mentioned by the others. There's a Soprano Concerto that not many people have heard of called "A Suite of Dreams." Written for Michelle Ibbotson, I cant remember for the life of me who wrote it. I'll dig it out and post it if anyone's interested?! It's again a really good work and technically demanding! Worth a look.....

Andy Duncan has written a Divertimento for Tenor Horn and Band which is now available from Crabtree Music under the Lewis Music Press Series. Both Piano and Band accompaniments are available.

There are some sample pages at our website www.crabtree-music.co.uk

Aidan

ComeBlowMyHorn said:
Not sure which ones you heard Aidan lad but Lesley's played the Wilby Concerto a few times with band (both excellent renditions) and more recently with the RNCM band in the Christmas concert, which was also great!
pretty sure it was the wilby.. that one that lesley brought into horn class last year to see what we thought

Dave Euph

Not to sound patronising but is it not possible to arrange (or even transpose) French Horn solos? Some of the pieces may require some techniques not possible on the tenor horn ... maybe ... but there should be a good chunk of playable solos out there ...

I'm no expert, so sorry if I'm wrong ... but there are a lot of very good french horn solos out there. Difficult to ignore it.

grandfilth

Hah!
I'm loving all the agro iv caused!!One thing I would say is that french horns cant play fast and they play wiv no vib, and just generally they are totally different to the mighty t-horn so transcription is abit hard to pull off.All I would say to anyone from Hepworth, not naming names is, firstly that u play the sop!!!!and also that southerners arent jessies, we're just rubbish at playin in bands.Nowt rong wiv carnival of venice i just wanted to start my own post!!

I found a well good piece for Eb trumpet by Hummel its like a theme and variations, well hard, well to sight read anyway, prob b ok nxt timew i hav a look!

Well Worth It

Dave Euph said:
Not to sound patronising but is it not possible to arrange (or even transpose) French Horn solos?
That really isn't the point!!
When entering competitions and doing auditions, it makes selecting a programme - written exclusively for the t.horn when necessary - an increasingly simple process, esp. concertos.

Accidental

Supporting Member
grandfilth said:
southerners arent jessies, we're just rubbish at playin in bands.
Thanks for that - I'm sure there's a few hundred peeps on here who'd disagree (not to mention Matt Baker, Brett Baker, Linda Nicholson etc etc etc)

Brian Bowen

I'm surprised World of Brass hasn't mentioned their publication of Weber's Concertino for Horn, arr. Michael Kenyon. It's on the ISB's 1991 "Blazon" CD performed by Tim Parker.

grandfilth

Accidental said:
grandfilth said:
southerners arent jessies, we're just rubbish at playin in bands.
Thanks for that - I'm sure there's a few hundred peeps on here who'd disagree (not to mention Matt Baker, Brett Baker, Linda Nicholson etc etc etc)

Sorry didnt mean to offend anyone, it was a joke, but obviously i'm not supposed to do that, sorry. I thought it would be ok since i myself am from "down south" but hey!!