Holme Valley Brass Band Contest - 21st May 2006

katharine

i was there, and i thought Holme Silver should have won Section A, and they definitely had best bass section, (no offence to Marsden), and that's the way it is.

Matthew

Nuke said:
you mean you actually went outside to go on stage. None of the earlier bands did. They just came down the stairs and waited outside the back doors with the audience.

Thanks Richard. :)

Why we navigated around the building outside then, I really don't know! :confused:

Cornishwomble

Nuke said:
Well done on first place test piece and best bass section. I had a sneaking suspicion that you would play essence of time.
Well with it being a week after Blackpool, you don't exactly need to be Sherlock to work that out ;)

It was a bit of a mad dash after getting there late and we didn't play it as well as we can so really chuffed with the result :biggrin:

Cornishwomble

katharine said:
i was there, and i thought Holme Silver should have won Section A, and they definitely had best bass section, (no offence to Marsden), and that's the way it is.

Well the results don't say that so maybe that isn't the way it is!

Nuke

katharine said:

Well the adjudicator is just one man at the end of the day so even he is prone to having an entirely different view to the audience.

Personally i thought boarshurst had won section B but i dont know the piece and apparently they played some of the rythms really wrong. The fact that the adjudicator announced some of the remarks after the results i thought was a bit wrong for that section.

So there you go each to there own i suppose.

Nuke

off the top of my head they played in order.

1 Holme Silver
2 Lindley
3 Marsden
4 Hade Edge
5 Inovate Skelmanthorpe

In section A

Nuke

Thank you very much for what
That was the order that they played in

I Still have no idea of the results at all bar the fact that MARSDEN won it and got best bass section.

Matt Lawson

Section C Test Pieces; only a few I'm afraid.

Emley - Triptych for Brass Band
Trimdon - Anglian Dances
Honking Hedgers - Z___ Mountains (specially written for them I believe).
Skelmanthorpe B - Divertimento

Owen

Don't have the complete picture, but:
Test Piece
1. Marsden
2. Innovate Skelmanthorpe

Hymn Tune
1. Innovate Skelmanthorpe

Best Basses - Marsden
Best Euph - Innovate Skelmanthorpe (Rob Cavender)
Best Conductor - Innovate Skelmanthorpe (John Roberts).

We had a great afternoon / evening out - shame about the rain washing out the march afterwards! Congratulations to Marsden (especially Debbie and Matt!).

Owen said:
Don't have the complete picture, but:
Test Piece
1. Marsden
2. Innovate Skelmanthorpe

Hymn Tune
1. Innovate Skelmanthorpe

Best Basses - Marsden
Best Euph - Innovate Skelmanthorpe (Rob Cavender)
Best Conductor - Innovate Skelmanthorpe (John Roberts).

We had a great afternoon / evening out - shame about the rain washing out the march afterwards! Congratulations to Marsden (especially Debbie and Matt!).

Holme Silver were third, also gaining best local band.
Lindley were second in the hymn tune, also gaining the prize for outtsanding cornet player of the day.

A hearty congratulations to all, especially section A which I heard. Some good playing, some very precise , fair and accurate judging and a nice relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere to the day.
Can I also say a big thanks and well done to Holme Silver, who played out of their skins and it was a pleasure to be one of your guests in such a performance. May you go onwards and upwards from here.
Also, a huge well done to John Roberts for a beautifully crafted reading of Harmony Music - hence he got the conductor's prize!!
Sadly, Yorkshire Co-op could not attend this year due to holidays and work etc following the Spring Festival but we hope to be there next year - if anyone knows a date?

Tabbs

Listening to Richard Evans was a giggle - what a star that guy is :D

I didn't hear all of the performances of Section A - but from what I heard, nothing much got past him ;)

Well I think we played much better than at Blackpool so I'm pleased about that - many many thanks to John Roberts - he's licking the band into shape in good order!

From what I gather, the results where generally pretty fair.

One of the discussion topics of the day (and echoed by Richard Evans in fact) was the subject of what IS and ISN'T a hymn tune.

I'm sure we found favour with the adjudication in part at least because we played something from the red hymn book (and well-played I might add :D ) - we were able to demonstrate differences in dynamics and style, with balance and tuning.

These 'ere arrangements are all very well, but the point of the exercise is to show off the band's tone and dynamic range and a lot of arrangements don't really do that.

With all this previous talk of rule changes for borrowed players, could I suggest another one? "Hymns will only be accepted from the Red Hymn book or the Sally Army book"

Just my opinion. What think others?

Last edited:

paddo

well said Computer bloke, could not agree more.

Well done Rob our Euph player for gaining best Euph and also well done and thanks to John Roberts, who is working the band with a refreshing attitude and eagerness.

May i also point out that "WE" won best Hymn by 5 points (so I believe!)

Well done guy's and gals.......

Col

Well done to both the Bands of Shat. Solid performance by the B Band and their continuing development goes on with Phil Garlick settling in well as MD. Good solos around the stand and then well done to their Senior colleagues well led by John Roberts. Good day at the office for the soloists Robert with solo Eup Prize but well done to Robert(Sop), William (Horn) and spot on from Ralph on Cornet.

Mr Evans was star of the show with his excellent communication skills.

Pity the March was cancelled.

Saxysuzuki

Nuke said:
you mean you actually went outside to go on stage. None of the earlier bands did. They just came down the stairs and waited outside the back doors with the audience.

Just to let you know that Emley also had to negotiate those treacherous pavements, cobbles, steps etc and the percussion section were carrying awkward and heavy instruments too. Ridiculous considering the weather conditions.

Matthew

Saxysuzuki said:
Just to let you know that Emley also had to negotiate those treacherous pavements, cobbles, steps etc and the percussion section were carrying awkward and heavy instruments too. Ridiculous considering the weather conditions.

Not just us then! :-? I agree, it was ridiculous. :frown:

Thankfully, no one appears to have hurt themselves in these conditions. There could have been a serious and nasty accident (e.g. broken limbs or worse) for any players, navigating that route, in that weather! :eek:

As a matter of interest really - who would be responsible/liable for any accidents if this had occurred? The contest organisers or Kirklees MC (who I assume have overall responsibility and ownership of the building and grounds, etc)?

paddo said:
well said Computer bloke, could not agree more.

Well done Rob our Euph player for gaining best Euph and also well done and thanks to John Roberts, who is working the band with a refreshing attitude and eagerness.

May i also point out that "WE" won best Hymn by 5 points (so I believe!)

Well done guy's and gals.......

How many points did you get for the hymn?

Didn't hear it, but heard that it was good.