Hollywood - 3rd Section Test Piece 2013

Ianroberts

Percussionists are as much a part of the band as anyone else.... and yes I am a percussionist who has also played principal cornet.

Well done luv !

before anyone gets there nickers in a twist, that was tongue in cheek

Last edited:
i think we have our answer re the perc being marked.
1st area and a band playing 1 percussionist is awarded 3rd place.
Well done to them but how do the other bands who worked hard wit 3 or 4 percussionists feel.

marc71178

But how did the rest of the band play - if a band with 3 or 4 percussionists **** up lots of the brass side then the fact they've got so many percussionists shouldn't automatically mean they should be placed above bands with fewer percussionists.

if a band didnt play a sop flugel and 1st trom would you expect them to finish 3rd.
im not having a go at the band but more the fact that there are no guild lines as to how perc will be marked

marc71178

No, you wouldn't, but without knowing exactly how the whole band performed and how all the others played, you cannot just speculate and say that the number of percussion players were ignored.

JPC

I think the band that finished third using only one percussion are under the impression that the rest of the band world are having a go at them and not deserving of that position.

I think the band world are questioning more the adjudicators decisions and the role of percussion in a test piece. Whilst the percussion section is often the butt of most jokes about banding and the noise they make at the back, all too often regardless of how they play at a contest, they simply get ignored more often then not when they do play!!!

Congratulations to the band for coming third, your band obviously played well enough to merit third place!

as for adjudicators and percussion, the debate will always go on.................................................

euphalogy

Another example of "Leadership" or lack of.
Selecting music for the contest is one thing, clearly defining the performance requirements is another.
It is either mandatory or optional.
I raised the same question to our leaders before the 2010 regionals on the excellent Saint Saens Variations.
Being prepared and well rehearsed within your boundaries of competence is one thing, being an hostage to fortune is another.
Dark Side of The Moon......... No Timps! I wonder?

MoominDave

Was looking at some 1950s programmes for local contests the other day... Interested to see that there was a specific prize at one for the highest placed band with 18 or fewer players. It's evidently a dilemma that adjudicators have had to wrestle with for a long time.

Andy_Euph

Being prepared and well rehearsed within your boundaries of competence is one thing, being an hostage to fortune is another.
:clap:

As I've said before surely you should be marked on what the judges can hear, not what they can't. If the overall performance is technically assured and musically engaging, surely the bands should do well, you can't just totally dismiss a good band performance because one or two missing bits. Like someone said earlier, yes a band might have 6 percussionists on this piece, but if the band play sh*te, you're still going to do poorly!

a band should be marked less if they miss parts out!!! if they didnt play any of the euph parts or any tromb parts then they would be marked down surly it should be same with percussion????

every year its the same at different contests!!! just shows the banding world that it doesnt matter about percussion so why bother having any??? might aswell just play with the brass

Andy_Euph

a band should be marked less if they miss parts out!!! if they didnt play any of the euph parts or any tromb parts then they would be marked down surly it should be same with percussion????

every year its the same at different contests!!! just shows the banding world that it doesnt matter about percussion so why bother having any??? might aswell just play with the brass
So bands should be penalised regardless of how they play, just because an added dimension of the overall picture doesn't go in? If so half the bands competing at the areas this year shouldn't bother turning up.

Fair play to the bands that can field a large percussion section....or 5 tubas...or 4 trombones, BUT you've still got to play in tune, together, good dynamics etc...just like a band who might go on stage with 15 players.

Linthwaite band must have played a blinder, but if you we take your view this doesn't matter, simply because their wasn't a whistle at bar 20!

:clap:

As I've said before surely you should be marked on what the judges can hear, not what they can't. If the overall performance is technically assured and musically engaging, surely the bands should do well, you can't just totally dismiss a good band performance because one or two missing bits. Like someone said earlier, yes a band might have 6 percussionists on this piece, but if the band play sh*te, you're still going to do poorly!
By your arguement it would be best if the conductor went on alone. No audible mistakes then.
Incidentally the band in question also have five empty brass seats.
More power to them for attending but 3rd place?
There were notes missing all over the place.

tom793

missing parts

I agree that if parts are missing you should be marked down. If you take this to an extreme (I know this is ridiculous example but it is used to emphasise a point ) If a band fields only one player, who plays his or her part perfectly the adjudicators would have to place that band first. Assuming they are using the excuse of not being able to deduct points for parts not going in.

Andy_Euph

By your arguement it would be best if the conductor went on alone. No audible mistakes then.
Incidentally the band in question also have five empty brass seats.
More power to them for attending but 3rd place?
There were notes missing all over the place.
All I'm trying to say is that the judges have made a decision on what they have heard, and deemed that even with parts missing, it was a good performance. Just because you have a full band doesn't mean its going to be good!

I'm going to hide under a rock as I seemed to have p*ssed people off :)

Sid the Cornet

Sorry....Could resist!

In all seriousness, as a band you can only play the best you can with what you have. It is not the bands fault if they are placed 3rd as they obviously did just that however hard the other bands find it. However if I were a percussionist, I would have to wonder why I bothered at all if my work was not going to be taken into account.

Sid the Cornet